Can 2011 GTs Handle Drag Radials?

danponjican

Established Member
So what is the consensus on the drive train strength on these new GTs? Can they handle runs with DRs at the track at stock or near stock power levels? If not, what is the point of most-likely-to-fail (i.e. clutch, dif, axle, etc.).

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
car lasted a bit on drs, bolt ons, and stock clutch. when i sprayed it, it didnt last but 1 time out. Switch to a twin disc and now its fine. I cant really speak for the stock rearend, mine has LPW gridle and che brace to make sure it holds together.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The clutch is definitely going to be the first week link. After that I would suggest the transmission.

Though I haven't heard of any failures in that department due to racing. The 8.8 rear-end has traditionally been a very stout piece. Unless you're running big power with an incredibly sticky tire this would likely be the least of my concerns.

Slurved

Established Member
My car is bone stock and the clutch slips like crazy on 235 series all season pirellis. It's really pretty pathetic to be honest.

ViciousJay

Established Member
My car is bone stock and the clutch slips like crazy on 235 series all season pirellis. It's really pretty pathetic to be honest.

im really beginning to think that ford should eat the cost and put in the gt500 transmissions for all of us 6 speeds

Slurved

Established Member
I havent had any problems with the transmission but I'm coming out of a 92 LX with a T5. It is a bit notchy when its cold but nothing too bad at all.

The clutch feels like it came directly out of a Daewoo though. I havent had the problem of it sticking to the floor but I'm not sure if that would be worse than the slippage anyways....

Why cant anyone build a car with a solid drivetrain? In my camaros it was the rear end but the transmission and clutch were solid. In my fox body the rear end and clutch were good but the tranny was a joke. Now I buy a 30k car and the engine is awesome but the clutch is plastic, the tranny problems are scaring me and the tires are so dangerous I'm surprised nobody has sued ford for putting them on there yet....

Slurved

Established Member
Whats so funny? You dont think traction makes a difference as to clutch slippage or something?

Slurved

Established Member
I certainly wouldnt put DR's on mine. Waiting for the clutch to go any day and have the dealer tell me i abused it as it is.

danponjican

Established Member
So it's a no go for a set of DRs for some weekend fun unless I have something else to drive to work on Monday.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
throw some DRs on there, have some fun, and get ready to upgrade the clutch after a little while.
im really beginning to think that ford should eat the cost and put in the gt500 transmissions for all of us 6 speeds
everyone keeps saying this even though the TR6060 has nearly the same grinding and clutch issues as the MT82. they don't pop up as much on the newer GT500s, but it still doesn't look like it's been completely resolved.
that aside, lets not forget that this is a mustang GT. there hasn't been one(forum reported) failure at a drag strip with this transmission and people are running 10s. did everyone forget about the T5/T45/T3650 all of a sudden? once this grinding issue is patched up, this trans will be fine.

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
throw some DRs on there, have some fun, and get ready to upgrade the clutch after a little while.

everyone keeps saying this even though the TR6060 has nearly the same grinding and clutch issues as the MT82. they don't pop up as much on the newer GT500s, but it still doesn't look like it's been completely resolved.
that aside, lets not forget that this is a mustang GT. there hasn't been one(forum reported) failure at a drag strip with this transmission and people are running 10s. did everyone forget about the T5/T45/T3650 all of a sudden? once this grinding issue is patched up, this trans will be fine.

Actually the 1-2 shift grind is way more common on the 2010-2011 GT500s with the new clutch. Its one of the main reasons I sold my 2010 GT500, what good is a car you have to granny shift into second and Ford refused to do anything about it.

The older GT500s didnt seem to have the 1-2 issues but they had a lot of clutch problems.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Actually the 1-2 shift grind is way more common on the 2010-2011 GT500s with the new clutch. Its one of the main reasons I sold my 2010 GT500, what good is a car you have to granny shift into second and Ford refused to do anything about it.

The older GT500s didnt seem to have the 1-2 issues but they had a lot of clutch problems.
err, yea, that's what i meant:idea: :D

stang1971

Established Member
my black 2011 m6 i had did just fine on 72 passes on dr's.. the 73 rd it broke the spider gears... never had any clutch slipping on mine.

my gb auto 2011 loves dr's. not a single bit of an issue with the auto. cant wait to see how it does on the bottle with the dr's.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I'm disappointed to hear of some owners having issues with the clutch and transmission. Getrag has always had a reputation for building rock solid transmissions.

I had one in my VR4, the actual gearbox itself was built WAY better than any T56 or TR6060. It was nearly identical to the gearbox used in MKIV Supras which have gone 7s on the stock 6spd.

I'm hoping it's a minor issue Ford addresses.

Users who are viewing this thread