Cameras - Doors, Garage, etc

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone have experience or recommendations? Looking to avoid the Google/Amazon spyware.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I use Ubiquiti Unifi cameras at the shop and have been happy with them. Last time I looked to get more they were out of stock (4-5 months ago). I was looking to avoid $10/mo subscription fees and the Unifi cameras allow me to do that.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I have been using Wyze cameras for a few years. They are cheap, video quality is good and subscription free. You can use subscription for a couple added features for like $1.99 a month or something. Saves recorded events to the cloud for 2 weeks but with an SD card you can review footage for past several days.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
I use Ubiquiti Unifi cameras at the shop and have been happy with them. Last time I looked to get more they were out of stock (4-5 months ago). I was looking to avoid $10/mo subscription fees and the Unifi cameras allow me to do that.
Which of the unifi cameras do y’all use?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I used an 8 camera setup from Lorex that I got at Costco. No subscription and everything under my control. Uses a 2tb recorder that just continually drops the old video when new is recorded. About once a year, I reformat the drive.

Your government is lying to you

Machdup1

Established Member
Ring

External view of every entrance.
View of autos in drive way
View of inside garage
Hidden cameras of important areas of house

Separate brand alarm system

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
eufyCam 2 Pro cameras with individual solar panels.

No monthly fees.

2 way communication, fast detection and immediate notification to phone. Adj. sensitivity, easy setup. It's expandable, so you can add additional cameras. I have 7, currently.

I am extremely happy with it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Check with your home insurance provider, with mine I get an annual discount that nearly covers my entire year's subscription to ADT.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Between my work and friend's small businesses, I have probably around 100 Ubiquiti cams installed and running. They've been rock solid, I've only had one camera failure in the 6 or so years I've had them going. I like that it's on premise and cloud hybrid (used to be on premise only), but miss that you can't just download the software and install it on any computer any longer.

I also have some Wyze cams setup around my house. They record 12 second clips without a subscription, you can record to SD on the camera itself, or subscribe to their cloud service. We only plug the in when our dog is roaming around the house when we're not home, so I don't need the recording service. These cameras have been great on the reliability side also.

96dreamer

Established Member
I have a reolink 4k system with 6 cameras, one being used as a baby monitor. I haven't had any issues and for the price i am happy with it.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Commercially I have always used Unifi stuff with great success. I have Ring floodlight cameras at my house since running Cat6 to where I needed would have been a massive pain. They also work very well but do have a subscription I believe.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Like @9397SVTs , I am currently using Eufy cams (doorbell and two house cameras). I plan to buy two more to replace a different brand in my garage and back yard. It's nice not having a subscription for sure. The below are currently full priced, but it seems every couple weeks they'll run a deal and you can get $20 off or so. I will point out the Eufy is going to release a new doorbell camera that has two cams so you can see directly underneath as well as in front.

I have two of these and they have been great (record 24/7 and you can up the internal memory card if needed): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/eufy-s...spotlight-wired-white/6460110.p?skuId=6460110

I regret not getting this doorbell (24/7 recording for 5 days), but the one I have (2K and records on motion only) has been flawless and captures everyone coming and going.

If you want a video sample of either, let me know and I'll get something uploaded.

EDIT: @Corbic - This guy has reviewed most of the cameras mentioned in this thread if you want to get more insight: https://www.youtube.com/c/LifeHackster/videos

Last edited:

awful knawful

Established Member
Screenshot_20220123-184614.png
blink camera from Amazon. That's on normal setting.

Users who are viewing this thread