Camera suggestions

96svtcobra1

Established Member
Not really sure where this post should be, so Admin. move it if necessary.
Looking to buy a digital camera for under $300. Looking at Sony and Canon. They both have SLRs for under $300. Any one using these? Thanks.

96svtcobra1

Established Member
Thanks
Looking at this one - Sears has it for $229.
Sony CYBER-SHOT DSC-H20 10 Megapixel Digital Camera IN Black
SLR - 10MP - 10x Optical Zoom - Built-In - 11 MB
Anyone using this?

Last edited:

96svtcobra1

Established Member
Went to the Sony website and it doesn't list the above camera as an SLR. Nextag does, so I am assuming it isn't. Looks like I may have to spend more to get an SLR.

SnkBit

Established Member
A great camera if you dont wanna spend the extra money for a DSLR is the Canon SX10IS or SX20IS. I have the SX10IS and it is awesome!! Gives alot of the same settings and control you get in a DSLR but with a 20x optical zoom point and shoot camera. You can pick up the SX10IS for around $300 and the new model, the SX20IS, can be had for less than $400. Check it out
PowerShot SX10 IS Digital Camera

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I just got the Panasonic DMC-ZS3 camera with HD video. It's not an SLR but it takes really good pic's for a point and shoot. Its a 10.1 megapixle with 12x optical zoom.

It was $250. Just throwin' it out there :beer:

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
No editing done
P1000070resize.jpg

P1000069.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are some very nice point-n-shoots in the $150. - $300. range that would satisfy most as far as picture quality. However, one major gripe is the shutter lag you get with a non-DSLR camera. Some are better than others, but If you need to pull the trigger and get an immediate shot, go with a DSLR camera. Otherwise you're going to have to get used to holding the shutter button down halfway, focus and press the rest of the way. Talk to most DSLR owner and he/she will tell you they are so happy they no longer have to deal with shutter lag. I hate taking point-n-shoot photos at the track. It can be tricky getting the photo to match what you see in the viewfinder, but holding the shutter button halfway down does help a bit.

96svtcobra1

Established Member
Thanks for everyone's help. I think I may just need a good point and shoot. I just want something to take real good pics of my car (stills mostly), and my wife & kids. Not sure I am into it enough to learn and do all the adjustments on an SLR. How is the auto setting on SLRs work?

96svtcobra1

Established Member
I think I've settled on the Canon Powershot sx120 IS. Seems to be a pretty advanced point and shoot. I appreciate everyone's responses. The suggestions were helpful. My budget ultimately won out over some of them though. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread