Camaro 1LE vs Boss 302

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
Obviously factory testing will always yield the best possible times and should be taken with a grain of salt, but suspension/tire changes in many cases, will completely transform a cars performance.

I'd actually say that it depends on the factory. There are numerous examples of Mercedes AMG under quoting both power and 0-60 times (AMG says 4.2, it's tested by R&T or C&D as 3.8-4.0). I do completely agree that small changes - even just tires - can absolutely transform a car.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
Based on GM's ZL1 claims and actual performance numbers, I don't think the Boss has anything to worry about.

It's hilarious that they compare a factory driver hero run under the best circumstances to a magazine driver thrown the keys to the Boss for the Lightning lap. Something tells me that C&D won't get a 2:52 for the ZL1 on the next Lightning Lap. The math works somethings like this: magazine time = GM claimed time + 6 seconds.

Even given the higher price, buying a Boss in front of a 1LE is no brainer. Can't wait for the comparisons. It won't be long before the GM hype machine is dead quiet again. :)

bpmurr

Established Member
I have a feeling both street and LS Boss owners won't have a problem with the 1LE.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
It's hilarious that they compare a factory driver hero run under the best circumstances to a magazine driver thrown the keys to the Boss for the Lightning lap. Something tells me that C&D won't get a 2:52 for the ZL1 on the next Lightning Lap. The math works somethings like this: magazine time = GM claimed time + 6 seconds.

To be fair, I don't think GM made the claim about the Boss. It was the website comparing the times.

Regardless of which one is ultimately faster around a track, even being close at $10K+ difference in price is impressive. That is significant. Based on my initial thoughts on the car, I'll admit that the initial performance figures look very promising.

Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
To be fair, I don't think GM made the claim about the Boss. It was the website comparing the times.

Nope Al O did say in the Autoblog article it's faster than the street Boss and might beat a LS.

He's running those simulations again!

Kewlv8

Established Member
Nope Al O did say in the Autoblog article it's faster than the street Boss and might beat a LS.

Love the GM marketing plan.... run a targeted time in seclusion before release, sell as many cars as possible based on questionable claims, disappear as soon as the real-world tests start commencing.....

kool_aid.jpg

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

Really? I see no reference in the link. Autoblog seemed to make the comparison in specific lap times between the two.

LostPony

Established Member
I think Chevy guys looking for a track toy will buy a Vette over a Camaro. In the 7 years I've been instructing at Summit Point I can count on one hand the number of 5th gen Camaros I've seen at an HPDE. Mustang guys seem to be there in bunches. Hell, I've already driven and instructed a 2013 GT 500 on our track, but haven't seen a ZL1 yet, even on the street.

I welcome the competition, but I don't anticipate seeing many anytime soon.

bpmurr

Established Member
I think Chevy guys looking for a track toy will buy a Vette over a Camaro. In the 7 years I've been instructing at Summit Point I can count on one hand the number of 5th gen Camaros I've seen at an HPDE. Mustang guys seem to be there in bunches. Hell, I've already driven and instructed a 2013 GT 500 on our track, but haven't seen a ZL1 yet, even on the street.

I certainly would like to bring my Boss over for some instruction. What's the best way for me to do that?

cloud9

Established Member

+1. I never see Camaros at the track, but plenty of Vettes. I'd sure like the opportunity for the Camaros to prove they're faster in the real world on the track, but my guess is they'll stick to the car shows and the occasional "interstate pulls".

JoeJ

Established Member
I also never see any Camaros at the track. Also almost every event I go to, there is a Z-06 Corvette which blows up scattering oil all over the track. Corvettes which run race tires thru high speed turns tend to loose oil pressure and the rods end up thru the block.

svt1111

Established Member
I also never see any Camaros at the track. Also almost every event I go to, there is a Z-06 Corvette which blows up scattering oil all over the track. Corvettes which run race tires thru high speed turns tend to loose oil pressure and the rods end up thru the block.

Interesting you say that. At the last HPDE I did, there was a Z06 on R tires that had just had a fresh LS7 installed by GM for this reason I suspect, since it had blown up at the track a time prior. GM tried to deny warranty coverage since this happened while tracking the car. They eventually covered the motor replacement but warned the owner that thr next time it would be on him. While I was behind him, I noticed plumes of white smoke after corner exit (75-80 MPH comers). Glad I never tracked my C6Z now!

cloud9

Established Member
Interesting you say that. At the last HPDE I did, there was a Z06 on R tires that had just had a fresh LS7 installed by GM for this reason I suspect, since it had blown up at the track a time prior. GM tried to deny warranty coverage since this happened while tracking the car. They eventually covered the motor replacement but warned the owner that thr next time it would be on him. While I was behind him, I noticed plumes of white smoke after corner exit (75-80 MPH comers). Glad I never tracked my C6Z now!
They're track monsters but I've witnessed two of my buddies blow theirs up.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
It wasn't too long ago that GM was touting the zl1 as the "GT500 slayer."

It's funny how vitriolic GM is about the Camaro. "Fbodygodfather"(one of the GM guys on the Camaro program) or whatever the hell his name is was over on C5 spreading lies and misinformation about the GT500 and the ZL1 until I called him out on his bullshit and promptly got myself banned for life, 'yo.

They just can't stand it that their almighty ZL1 isn't the biggest kid on the block.

"Oh, well the '13

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
It wasn't too long ago that GM was touting the zl1 as the "GT500 slayer."

It's funny how vitriolic GM is about the Camaro. "Fbodygodfather"(one of the GM guys on the Camaro program) or whatever the hell his name is was over on C5 spreading lies and misinformation about the GT500 and the ZL1 until I called him out on his bullshit and promptly got myself banned for life, 'yo.

They just can't stand it that their almighty ZL1 isn't the biggest kid on the block.

"Oh, well the Ford fanboys should thank GM for the '13 GT500, without the ZL1, it wouldn't have been built!"

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. SVT has gone on record saying the '13 was a response to their own Boss and not the ZL1 - which makes a lot of sense when you consider how close a '12 Boss is to a '12 GT500 in terms of performance.

At any rate, I have a hard time believing that the heavier and less powerful 1LE is faster around a track than even the base Boss, let alone an LS. Let's compare them on the same day, at the same track, with stock tires, with the same driver and then see who's superior. No 'ringer drivers, no race slicks, ideal track conditions, and god knows what else....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread