Cam shafts in 96 Mystic Cobra?

fast02gt

Established Member
I'm thinking about doing a set of cams in my 96 Mystic, 1300 plus install and retune etc is a lot to think about. Any input would be good! Thanks.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
i just got my stock cams degreed. I cant justify that much for a set of bump sticks. Its alot of work too. Buying aftermarket cams is just not the route I wanna go. To each their own tho, there are benefits to it.

fast02gt

Established Member
i just got my stock cams degreed. I cant justify that much for a set of bump sticks. Its alot of work too. Buying aftermarket cams is just not the route I wanna go. To each their own tho, there are benefits to it.

Right, the cost is just really turning me away from doing this. I want to give the car some more power on the motor. I don't want to S/C it or put a turbo on it. Any gains with degreed cams?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I paid 775 for used cams and 350 for springs and I picked up 35rwhp. So when you compare that to 800 for exhaust and only pick up 10-15rwhp I'd said its not that bad of a bargin. I did the install myself and didn't degree them. Best bet is to find cams used.

=Mark

fast02gt

Established Member
I paid 775 for used cams and 350 for springs and I picked up 35rwhp. So when you compare that to 800 for exhaust and only pick up 10-15rwhp I'd said its not that bad of a bargin. I did the install myself and didn't degree them. Best bet is to find cams used.

=Mark

That makes sense. If I could find a deal on a set with springs I'd be more inclined to do it. I have heard some cam'd 4 valve cars and they sound downright nasty. There is no way I could installl them myself. So I have to factor in labor...what kind are you using?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
That makes sense. If I could find a deal on a set with springs I'd be more inclined to do it. I have heard some cam'd 4 valve cars and they sound downright nasty. There is no way I could installl them myself. So I have to factor in labor...what kind are you using?

I'm using comp 106460's.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member

=Mark

agreed, heck most longtubes are like 500 bucks, plus 450 for a catted x or h pipe, and then another 300 for a catback and you got 1250 invested right there and no one has installed them yet. Most people can install an exhaust but those longtubes sure make you work for it. You got a nice deal though on cams and springs, I hope I can find one that good.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Any gains with degreed cams?

Yes, you can see around 20-25 hp by degreeing them. na svt did mine and ran me through the hole process while I watched/ fetched tools for him. Aftermarket cams deff have their advantages, however not cost effective enough for me.

newossab

Established Member
So you're saying degreeing stock cams will give almost same gains as spending 1k+ on aftermarket cams...What were they degreed at? Dyno proven?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
So you're saying degreeing stock cams will give almost same gains as spending 1k+ on aftermarket cams.

Not even close. Here's the deal on degreeing, the stock cams are all over the place and some are so far off that degreeing them can result in a substantial power gain. Degreeing B head cobra cams can also raise tq by 30ft lbs or more depending on how far you advance them.

Stock lobe centers are 119/110, this is good for peak power, good MPG, low emissions and poor mid range and tq. Advancing the cams to 114/114 increases mid range/tq and does not reduce peak power. Advancing them further, to 110/118 raises mid range and tq even more and starts to affect peak power production. The poor stock cam timing is the only reason these engines need 4.56 gears.

Aftermarket cams are further off than stock cams and should always be degreed. Not degreeing them can result in giving up as much as 20hp. Most aren't off that much but there are still good gains to be had by degreeing.

Why spend $1200 on cams and not degree them to ensure the most power possible/

Last edited:

fast02gt

Established Member
Yes, you can see around 20-25 hp by degreeing them. na svt did mine and ran me through the hole process while I watched/ fetched tools for him. Aftermarket cams deff have their advantages, however not cost effective enough for me.

Did you notice any gains after you did all that work? I'd be ticked if I went through all that and didn't get anything.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Did you notice any gains after you did all that work? I'd be ticked if I went through all that and didn't get anything.

I set his cams up so that it makes more Mid range hp and tq and to make peak power at 6000. I don't expect a big gain in peak power.

fast02gt

Established Member
I set his cams up so that it makes more Mid range hp and tq and to make peak power at 6000. I don't expect a big gain in peak power.

So, your really just changing the powerband by doing this. Not really "gaining" more power?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
So, your really just changing the powerband by doing this. Not really "gaining" more power?

It depends on where I set them. I can degree them for more peak power but the car may end up slower. It will also require a 4.56 gear to get the most out of it.

Peak power isn't everything unless you want to have bragging rights, but that doesn't win races.

Degreeing only ensures your combo makes the most power possible in area of the powerband where its wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread