Cam question

harleyreb1

Established Member
I'm looking for a cam that is really just one "step" up from the stock cobra cam. I want just a little more but maintain the stock driving ability. THe car has SVO alum GT-40 heads which I will have a small amount of porting done(really to just even them out) and a ported lower cobra intake. Stock compression. I'm going to sick with the stock TB, 24lb, and MAF. 3.55 rear gears. ANy thoughts?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Sounds like an E303 would be what you are looking for. Mild cam but wakes it up a little. I personally had troubles with my pos cobra MAF/ECU so I changed to an A9L and ProM 77mm MAF(I know they aren't around anymore, but this was 10yrs ago!!).

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
There are much better cams than the Ford E303. You should call someone that has extensive experience with matching up cams to specific mods; you will get much more bang for the buck if you do. Hitech Motorsports in Ramsey, Mn has produced great results with relatively mild grinds. Do a search over on Corral.net and you'll find a lot of good "stuff" about their work.

http://www.hitechmotorsport.com/

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
you could check and see what AFM has too. I would get rid of the cobra intake while it is removed for the cam swap

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
you could check and see what AFM has too. I would get rid of the cobra intake while it is removed for the cam swap

What about a Tom Moss port job on the stock intake, I hear you get more hp in the lower rpm range than some of the more popular intakes.

I am a huge fan of the TFS Stage 1. I have two buddies that have one and they have awesome results and driveability.

marcs93

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a B-303 w/afr 165 and all the usual bolt-ons and I realy like the driveability.pulls hard to 6200.Goog luck

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
If you are keeping the 1.7 rockers I would install a crane 2031.... it is the cam designed to be used with Cobra 1.7rr

This cam will be a small step up, has a good sound, and maintains excellent driveability.

Don't waste your time or money on a custom cam, most of the them kill driveablity, rpm band is too high for the street and they idle like crap. For what you say you are wanting keep the cam small (lift & duration) and you will be happy.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
marcs93 said:
I have a B-303 w/afr 165 and all the usual bolt-ons and I realy like the driveability.pulls hard to 6200.Goog luck

I used to run that combo. Very nice power

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
cobra186 said:
Don't waste your time or money on a custom cam, most of the them kill driveablity, rpm band is too high for the street and they idle like crap. For what you say you are wanting keep the cam small (lift & duration) and you will be happy.

Not necessarily, Daryl. It's all about what you tell your custom cam guy. If you tell him you want a premium on drivability/streetability, then you will get that.

Friend of mine with pretty much an identical combo to mine, put a custom cam in his. He wanted a FLAT torque curve, and excellent drivability. That car has stock street manners, yet it pulls like a freight train from 1500-4500 rpm. Not great peak hp numbers, but he wasn't going for that. If I EVER swap the cam out on mine, it will be to the exact same grind, it is THAT good. My relatively mild Steeda #18 sux for drivability, and the power doesn't really start coming on till about 3500 rpm. I liked it like that when I was 25, but I'm 35 now... :lol:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
cobra186 said:

What? Custom cams are spec'd for your engine's mods, the cars weight, trans, and your needs. What you are talking about sounds like waht most people get when they get off-the-shelf cams.

Most, if not all custom grinds end being more mild and yet make more power because they work with the engine's current mods, not against them.

BTW, can you tell me the most important camshaft parameter (lift, dur, overlap, centerlines, etc.)?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Call Brian at Hitech, I guarantee he'll give you some examples of custom grinds that have made a lot of power in similar combinations to yours.

Last edited:

harleyreb1

Established Member
Thanks for the replies

I think the custom cam route maybe my best choice. I'll be keeping the stock cobra intake, I want to pop the hood and it appear stock. And driveability is my number 1 desire, well that and just a few more ponies!!!

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
na svt said:
What? Custom cams are spec'd for your engine's mods, the cars weight, trans, and your needs. What you are talking about sounds like waht most people get when they get off-the-shelf cams.

Most, if not all custom grinds end being more mild and yet make more power because they work with the engine's current mods, not against them.

BTW, can you tell me the most important camshaft parameter (lift, dur, overlap, centerlines, etc.)?

What I am talking about is...
This guy says he wants a small cam with good driveablitly. So why waste several hundred more dollars and more time ordering a custom cam. Some one ask about a cam and everyone starts yelling custom custom custom.... when a lot of the time an off the shelf cam will work just fine for their needs.

I have had dealings with Ed Curtis and Bennett custom cams in the past and its a shame that my little "POS" E- cam has better driveabilty, better power band and will wax both of their a$$ at the drag strip. I don't build dyno queens, I want something that runs hard on the street & track.

All camshaft parameters are important and its the combo of them all that makes it work. The centerline and overlap makes the most difference between good streetability vs high rpm race use. If you want to get into a pissing match over this I can explain to ya' how each one will effect the power band.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You said

cobra186 said:
Don't waste your time or money on a custom cam, most of the them kill driveablity, rpm band is too high for the street and they idle like crap.
I didn't tell him to go out and have a radical, unstreetable cam spec'd for his motor. What I am recommending is that he go to someone (Brian at Hitech) who is very respected and has vast experience spec'ing cams for these motors. I can guarantee you that his combo will make more power with one of Brian's cams than with any of the Ford cams. BTW, they aren't hundreds mroe either.

cobra186 said:
All camshaft parameters are important and its the combo of them all that makes it work. The centerline and overlap makes the most difference between good streetability vs high rpm race use. If you want to get into a pissing match over this I can explain to ya' how each one will effect the power band.

I need no explanation. Also, there are a lot of people here that recommend B303 and E303 cams for most every application. Thos cams have their place but that location is in very few of the motors that they are in now. The cams should always be the last item spec'd for the motor, not the first.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I need no explanation. Also, there are a lot of people here that recommend B303 and E303 cams for most every application. Thos cams have their place but that location is in very few of the motors that they are in now. The cams should always be the last item spec'd for the motor, not the first.

That why I recommended the E303, because the original poster states that he is going to keep the rest of the car as it sits. This would imply that it is the last item.

He also states one step up and drivablity. I made over 400rwhp with the iron GT 40 heads, e303, exhaust and a B Trim vortech @ 10lbs. Not too mention this was way before Dyno's and custom tuning were available.

Adower

Established Member
Red Turtle said:
That why I recommended the E303, because the original poster states that he is going to keep the rest of the car as it sits. This would imply that it is the last item.

He also states one step up and drivablity. I made over 400rwhp with the iron GT 40 heads, e303, exhaust and a B Trim vortech @ 10lbs. Not too mention this was way before Dyno's and custom tuning were available.

From what Ive read the E-cam is supposed to be awesome when going FI.

Users who are viewing this thread