cam install today(need help)

jarryd2018

Established Member
I finished building my shortblock and bolting the heads down last night. I've got my lash adjusters set and ready to put the cams in.

I need some tips on degreeing the cams, and I'm wondering about getting the rockers in place, I don't see why I can't just set the cams in on top of them.

Do I need to install anything else before the cams go in? I'm thinking the oil pump may need to be in place so the timing gears can go on but I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yes, the oil pump needs to go on before the timing gears. If you put the cams on over the rockers then you won't be able to torque the caps correctly. You'll be fighting spring pressure. Plus if the cams aren't positioned correctly you can push a valve into a piston while tightening everything down. Are you looking to do the full cam degree stuff or just set it per the factory specifications?

jarryd2018

Established Member
Yes, the oil pump needs to go on before the timing gears. If you put the cams on over the rockers then you won't be able to torque the caps correctly. You'll be fighting spring pressure. Plus if the cams aren't positioned correctly you can push a valve into a piston while tightening everything down. Are you looking to do the full cam degree stuff or just set it per the factory specifications?

Factory specifications, they're B cams.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Try doing a search. I know someone has posted up the procedure once or twice. I have it, but it's at home on my laptop.

jarryd2018

Established Member
Try doing a search. I know someone has posted up the procedure once or twice. I have it, but it's at home on my laptop.

A search for what?

I ended up having to put it on pause. I wasn't aware that the 5.4 2v and 4v timing guides were different so I had to order some new stuff. I have a couple days to figure it out now. This gives me a chance to take my time and get my fuel system all figured out too.

jarryd2018

Established Member
Got the cams in, got the rockers in, everything torqued down. For some reason the bolts from my old navi cams don't work with the cobra cams to keep the gears on them in place. I don't understand that one.

I just need to degree everything at this point and get it all timed right.

jarryd2018

Established Member
Just to clarify, to set it to stock spec, I need to set the crank to TDC, then align all the timing marks and I'm good. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
That is essentially it. Get yourself a shop manual, most of your questions will be answered in that. Also, the cam bolts varied slightly from year to year, and they are torque to yield so they shouldn't be used again.

jarryd2018

Established Member
That is essentially it. Get yourself a shop manual, most of your questions will be answered in that. Also, the cam bolts varied slightly from year to year, and they are torque to yield so they shouldn't be used again.

Yea my old cam bolts are smaller than these. These are the same size as my crank bolt so I need to pick those up. I'm off tomorrow afternoon so I'm going to run to a hardware store and find something. Then I'll set the motor to TDC, turn the cams where the number 1 cylinder has all 4 valves closed, line up the timing marks, and go from there. It seem pretty basic. I guess you start from there and work around the motor as far as placing all the marks in the right spot. I was supposed to be getting a shop manual but the guy didn't print out the right stuff. I have a bunch of pictures though. I'll get it right, I have a mechanic helping me along the way.

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I wouldn't get the cam bolts at a hardware store if thats what you meant. Make sure and get them from a ford dealer, and like olgreydog7 said; the cam bolts varied between years.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
FYI about the ARP bolts. They make one for Cobras and one for the SVT Focus. The Focus bolt doesn't have the shoulder on it like the Cobra one, so it doesn't fit in the large washer that goes on the cam. I personally didn't feel comfortable with that. For the life of me I can't rememeber which one is which diameter. I remember that the FR500 cams used the one for the Focus and that was different than the ones for the Cobra cams. I THINK that the Cobra ARP bolt is for the 01+ cars, but I can't remember.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I can't telly ou how much this thread makes me cringe- but on a lighter note-props to the OP for trying. if you want factory and not degreed in- which refers to having adjustability in order to degree and set them. if you don't have adjustable gears- you start by having the crank at TDC, and all the cams (4) with the keyways down (pass exh. and int. at 5 o clock, and driver's int. and exh. at 7 o clock) then match up your timing marks. rotate the assembly slowly and you should be good assuming nothing touches. and you can pretty much kiss all your shit goodbye unless you bye a FRPP or ARP bolt for the cams and crank for that matter. what did you use for the heads bolts might I ask?

jarryd2018

Established Member
I can't telly ou how much this thread makes me cringe- but on a lighter note-props to the OP for trying. if you want factory and not degreed in- which refers to having adjustability in order to degree and set them. if you don't have adjustable gears- you start by having the crank at TDC, and all the cams (4) with the keyways down (pass exh. and int. at 5 o clock, and driver's int. and exh. at 7 o clock) then match up your timing marks. rotate the assembly slowly and you should be good assuming nothing touches. and you can pretty much kiss all your shit goodbye unless you bye a FRPP or ARP bolt for the cams and crank for that matter. what did you use for the heads bolts might I ask?

ARP head studs.

Users who are viewing this thread