Cam Install How to

killrSVT

Established Member
Is there anyone out there who can do a thorough how to on a cam install? I am pretty sure I can do it, just not 100% on the 4 and overhead thing..

J

Janstang

First off.. What tools do you have? There are several specialty tools out there for the DOHC engine that make this job alot easier.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Having the Ford tools makes it easier but they are not neccessary. I have some instructions that I can email. PM me you email address and I'll send them to ya.

J

Janstang

I totally agree.. After buying all the proper tools, its way easier to do a cam swap.

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
removing the cams isn't hard .. I assume you are gonna do it while the engine is in the car?

if so, you'll just need that Retension tool to keep the front timing chain in place .. you can make your own, or buy one on the internet via many places.

to hold the cams in place - instead of buying the $200-$500 in 2 tools - just use a 3/8" ratchet and short extention .. slides into the rear of the cams and you can hold them in place and turn them SLIGHTLY as needed to get the MARKS to align back up during install ..

do a search on google .. there are many photos of how-to .. it's what I had to do last winter when my navi heads locked up due to heat :(

Users who are viewing this thread