Cam help please

ademily87

Established Member
It's so confusing. I've lost so much sleep the past few days researching this topic. I want the sound of natesvt's 04 cobra with the stage 3 comp cams, but have read that there's ptv clearance issues and some say there's not?

And then people never specify whether its a blower cam, and THEN people say there's not even stages for the cams?!?!

I need help lol I'm wanting stage 3, but if there's a chance of ptv issues I'll pass.

My local performance shop said they will charge $900 for the labor, and from what I've seen the prices go for, that doesn't seem bad at all.

Now if I just went with comp "stage 2's", would I need to do valve springs still?

And if anyone can tell me what the part numbers are for these mystery "stage" cams, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

racebronco2

Established Member
We need to know your mods. It's going to cost you almost 2000.00 if you buy the cams new. Some cams will not pass smog if you are concerned with that. It might be more cost effective if you upped your boost and did some weight reduction.

ademily87

Established Member
We need to know your mods. It's going to cost you almost 2000.00 if you buy the cams new. Some cams will not pass smog if you are concerned with that. It might be more cost effective if you upped your boost and did some weight reduction.

Just have a 2.8 pulley, slp exhaust, intake as far as I know. Dyno'd a few weeks ago at 479/505.

I just want it to sound awesome...I love the sound of a 4V thumping!!

Can I use my stock springs if I use comp stage 2 cams?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
In order to run the so called stage 3 comps you will need to retard the timing otherwise you will have PTV clearance issues. You will need new valvesprings with either the stage 2 or 3. I would suggest Manley or Livernois springs, stay away from comp springs.

Sitnlopro99gt

Established Member
I run the comp stage 2's with livernois springs for the very reaosn of the ptv clerance debate. I was like you once and went through the same feeling, it has been a long expensive road but I love it. Keep in mind the lump has a lot to do with lobe seperation so one comp stg 2 or 3 may sound different than the next depending on how much seperation there was when cams where dialed in. Also exhaust systems will certaintly play a roll in how agressive the appear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread