Cam Guru's Cam And Spring Question?

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
My wife bought me a set of Comp Cams and Manley springs for the L for christmas. I am not a cam or spring expert, so I want to see if someone here can tell me if this set up will work. By the way she bought the cams from a friend on mine who had them custom cut, he had a Lightning for a short period of time. But i do not know if they was cut for his L or his cobra. We no longer speak so i don't know. Ok heres the cam specs:

Comp Cams
Gross Valve Lift Intake .545 Exhaust .545
Duration @ .006 Tappet Lift Intake 261 Exhaust 281
Valve Timing OPEN CLOSE
@.050 INT 3- BTDC 49 ABDC
EXH 59 BBDC 7 ATDC

These specs are for cam installed @116.0 intake center line
INTAKE EXHAUST
Duration @ .050 226 246
Lobe Lift .5450 .5450
Lobe Seperation 116.0

Now the springs:
Manley Nextex Springs
1.125" Single
INST. 95 LBS at 1.680
OPEN 240 LBS at 1.130
Coil Bind 1.080

I called Comp Cams they said these cams will work in my truck. He said he did not know the dish on a stock piston on our trucks , so he said they might have valve and piston clearence issues. He said the cams are cut to make power from 1,500 rpm's to 6,000 rpm's.All my mods are in my sig. and i presently seeing about 17 pounds of boost. And yes i'm on my stock block, with stock heads. So what you think, good setup or what? Thanks :beer:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Same springs I have and they're good. The cams are about a stage II and will work also. Retuning is required afterwards. There's TONS of info on here if you search for cams/springs.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
Yeah i know retuning will be a must. I was hoping to get a set of ported heads and just swap them out. But from what i read, they say the stock heads flow real good. So now i don't know. I know you can't go wrong with ported heads, but is the money to h.p. gain worth it? Hey Fade about what h.p. and e.t. gains should i expect when i do the cam and spring swap? I'm trying like hell to join the 11 second club, 12.26 isn't close enough though. I was hoping this would do it though.

Users who are viewing this thread