Calling out RX-7 owners need modding help

svtcontour

Established Member
If its done right, the rotary is pretty reliable. My friend had one pushing about 360 rwhp and it never gave him any trouble. Just make sure you never run out of fuel (ie lean it out).

Apaolo

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
This guys knows what he's talking about:

This guy doesn't:

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Do you even know what a rotary motor is:kaboom:

Wild Stallion

Established Member
yeah I am already very aware of doing a LS1/LS2 swap(some day down the road but not now) but i was just looking for some basics i.e. BOV, a non rice exhaust, boost controler and i was hoping for the RX-7 guys that post here to chime in i know there in here somewhere. This is just another fun car to have around.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Apaolo said:
Do you even know what a rotary motor is:kaboom:

As a matter of fact I do smart guy! :idea: One of my best track Buds has a rotary. And he's DAMN fast.

Here's a rotary motor that will spank your car like a redheaded stepchild on the road course! :read:

Here's one of us at Road America having some fun:

http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision/ra_10_16_04_spltscreen.mpg

Here's another one at Auto-Bahn passing a C6-Z06 and a Ford GT:

http://www.trackdawgz.com/Videos/ABsplit-screen joliet_10-30-05.mpeg

Care to make any other dumb ass remarks?:loser:

Have a nice day!

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Apaolo said:
Drop an LS1 into it and youll have a beast of a car. 2700lbs+400hp=vrrroom

Hells yes. I want to build one for a project later on in life (want to build a TT 632ci big block 78 Malibu first though). Those little cars are wicked fun.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
I agree with the LSx comments.

Perfect reason: A buddy of mine picked up an RX7 this summer (6 months ago). It spent 4 and a half of those in the repair shop because something was broken (usually the motor). Another two weeks was spent in the body shop (minor collision, his fault). Last week I got a call from my friend saying it had burned to the ground.

svtcontour

Established Member
Wow I've seen this car..well not in real life but I've seen the RX7 on the net doing lots of read racing and I love the guys car and dude can drive well.
Cool that someone on this board knows him. Is it a very heavily built one or fairly modest but just tuned right?

ac427cobra said:
As a matter of fact I do smart guy! :idea: One of my best track Buds has a rotary. And he's DAMN fast.

Here's a rotary motor that will spank your car like a redheaded stepchild on the road course! :read:

Here's one of us at Road America having some fun:

http://64.158.28.140/MPEG/TwinVision/ra_10_16_04_spltscreen.mpg

Here's another one at Auto-Bahn passing a C6-Z06 and a Ford GT:

http://www.trackdawgz.com/Videos/ABsplit-screen joliet_10-30-05.mpeg

Care to make any other dumb ass remarks?:loser:

Have a nice day!

Speed-101

HorsePower
Established Member
Wild Stallion, I must say nice choice!
I will say that everyone has an opinion on the 1.3 Liter TT motor.
I owned mine for 5 years and had no problems with it, mods are in sig and bought it like that from day one.
I still kick myself in the rear for selling it to this day.
My .02(if you are really thinking of doing the ls1 swap/I highly highly recommend this/I'm not sure how much money you wanna spend), but save that money on what ever little crap you wanna do and put it tords the ls1.
Sell everything you can(motor wise) and put that also tords the ls1, dont run it untill it blows, it all adds up little by little.
Make sure you buy the touring ed.(comes with leather/roof/bose/fog lights)
Do mods on motor at same time of drop(take your time and save the money to do it at once).
What I would have done:heads, cam, exhaust, headers, intake and blah blah blah. Make sure you do 420+ rwhp for sure!

Oh yeah, about the wank! Like I said, 5 yrs and no problems. On the other hand, One kid I know well bought one and spent 13-16K on the motor alone, did everything the right way, had it done by some place in ohio that is well known for there rx7 abilities, one summer night coming home I see him on the road and he tells me that my car wont go over 4000 rpms, and it was kicking out thick black smoke like it was on fire, he had to take it back to this place 3times(3 1/2 - 4 hr drive one way). Just spoke with him 2 weeks ago and he's had the car for 3 yrs now and he said "it's in my garage and it's in a = million parts all over the damn place"
good luck

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Wild Stallion said:
yeah I am already very aware of doing a LS1/LS2 swap(some day down the road but not now) but i was just looking for some basics i.e. BOV, a non rice exhaust, boost controler and i was hoping for the RX-7 guys that post here to chime in i know there in here somewhere. This is just another fun car to have around.

Well a rotary is gonna be a raspy high pitch sounding car no matter what, just accept it. A stock TII will run mid 14's. There are some awesome things you can do with those cars.

Here is an FD with quite alot of mods, I love this car.
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/685/0/e47301c3-5e44-4c29-9864-95d9f1570433.htm

Same basic motor.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
wankel rotary = worst engine ever!!!

excessive oil consumption, clearance/sealing issues, narrow powerband, low efficiency, weight, low service life, cost to manufacture, etc.....................

These are the undisputed facts, the wankel is vastly inferior to piston engines. Which is why %99 of all auto manufacturers do not use rotary designs. GM experimented with it in the 80's for use in the vette but came to the conclusion it was a POS. :read:

ls1 swap is the only reasonable route to go if you want a fast, RELIABLE rx-7.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Some of you people are entirely way to close minded. How about the plus? Low mounting position (center of gravity) smoothness, stratispheric redline, sound (like it or hate it i guess) power potential, modular construction, far fewer moving parts than a boinger, compact physical size.

Mazda won the 24 hours of lemans in 91 (first time out) with a rotary powered car, with no problems, hows that for reliability. That car had the potential to make 900hp n/a from 2.6 liters, no piston engine could do that.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
XR4Turbo said:
Some of you people are entirely way to close minded. How about the plus? Low mounting position (center of gravity) smoothness, stratispheric redline, sound (like it or hate it i guess) power potential, modular construction, far fewer moving parts than a boinger, compact physical size.

Mazda won the 24 hours of lemans in 91 (first time out) with a rotary powered car, with no problems, hows that for reliability. That car had the potential to make 900hp n/a from 2.6 liters, no piston engine could do that.

If the wankel is so great why is it that no industry uses them? :smmon:

%99 of automotive
Heavy equipment
marine/naval
industrial power generation
aircraft
watercraft/atvs/snowmobiles
radio controlled vehicles
landscape equimpent (mowers, chainsaws, weedwackers, etc)

???? :rolleyes:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It is just really light weight and produces decent power for it's size. But most of the power is in the higher RPM band.

-Jeff

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
mc01svt said:

%99 of automotive
Heavy equipment
marine/naval
aircraft

They have been used, or at least experimented with, in all of the above (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_rotary). It is not as practical as a piston engine, i give you that, but that is mostly down to the limited development they have had. Comparatively speaking of course.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
XR4Turbo said:
They have been used, or at least experimented with, in all of the above (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_rotary). It is not as practical as a piston engine, i give you that, but that is mostly down to the limited development they have had. Comparatively speaking of course.

I would not describe 5 decades of experimentation/use at several corporations and research facillities as limited developement. :poke:

for autos .........................
piston > wankel > gas turbine

for aircraft.......................
gas turbine > piston > wankel

Wild Stallion

Established Member
would like to do the Ls swap but something like that wouldn't be for some time down the road i was just looking for some basics to up the power a little to hold me over.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
mc01svt said:
I would not describe 5 decades of experimentation/use at several corporations and research facillities as limited developement. :poke:

I did say COMPARATIVELY speaking, as in, not even within the same ballpark as piston engine development.

I guess the rotaries sucess in motorsports doesnt mean anything...

svtcontour

Established Member
mc01svt said:

%99 of automotive
Heavy equipment
marine/naval
aircraft

Not sure about this but dont a lot of helicopters have rotary powerplants? A rotary in theory seems like a better idea because they have less moving parts but seems they dont handle abuse as well.

Users who are viewing this thread