Calling all RR pulley owners

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
I have a whistle that comes from my pulley when the car's on. It's more noticable at idle.

Does anyone else have this, or am I all alone on this?

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Thanks for the link Fush, but I don't have a gatorback, and my noise is coming directly from the pulley.

Any other suggestions?

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
True, but I know there's plenty of people on here running the same pulley. I was hoping some of them could help me.

jonas

Established Member
Juan we will see since I have the exact same pully.

I have a feeling its the wind rushing out of the holes on the rr.

we will know this sat, adam is bringing a puller and will help me with the swap before the dyno session, I dont wanna swap it and try to keep up with you guys on the freeway

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
Originally posted by SonicVenum
Thanks for the link Fush, but I don't have a gatorback, and my noise is coming directly from the pulley.

doh. did the whistle just show up? maybe it's just the holes in the pulley causing it. blower oil? pulley alignment? :shrug: i should be installing my rr in a couple days (gates belt) and i'll check if there's anything similar.

Rwick7

Established Member
Mine whistles...Non-Slip 2.93 and Gates belt or Stock belt...both whistle...I like it

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Sweet! Thanks for the confirmation. I just wanted to make sure it was normal, and not some problem. I LOVE this freakin pulley.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm using the 2.90" RR Ultra-Grip and haven't really noticed any whistling, but that might be because I'm also using an Accufab TB and it has a slight whistle. I'll have to listen a bit closer the next time I pop the hood. I would guess, though, that it would be related to the holes. I doubt the slits would produce a whistle. ??

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
The whistle should just be the supercharger. It whislted when I had the 2.80 but not with the 2.93.

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I'm using the 2.90" RR Ultra-Grip and haven't really noticed any whistling, but that might be because I'm also using an Accufab TB and it has a slight whistle. I'll have to listen a bit closer the next time I pop the hood. I would guess, though, that it would be related to the holes. I doubt the slits would produce a whistle. ??

I've got the Accufab TB too. My whistle is audible from 5-10' away with the hood closed.

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
The whistle should just be the supercharger. It whislted when I had the 2.80 but not with the 2.93.

It's definately coming directly from the pulley. I put my ear right up to the pulley, and I'm positive it is the source of the noise.

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
I have a whistle at idle from my 03 as well, I think its the idlers, but Im not too sure. I still ahve the stock size pulley, so I dunno what the problem is??

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
May i ask why you went from 280 to 293??

Sure Jim. A few reasons: I was running the 2.80 with no idler and I was always getting alot of belt slippage and heat. I made good hp #'s but I noticed that after a lot of driving the car felt really sluggish. I was just going to get an idler but then I started reading more threads about the 2.93 pulley and the blower rpm. I was seeing that most people prefered the 2.93.

But what really made me want to try a new combo is what you posted. You brought up some 1/4 times and mentioned that the 2.80 pulleys were faster in the 1/8 but the 2.93's were sometimes catching up to the 2.80's by the 1/4 because they just were not overspinning the blower as much.

After reading that I decided to try to make the same hp but without spinning the blower as much. So I freed up the intake restrictions with a billetflow TB and I also took the cats off my xpipe. Then, I decided to go with a 2.93 and an idler. So this way, I should be running almost the same boost as the 2.80 because of the TB and how much slippage I got with the 2.80 and no idler. But I wouldn't be overspinning the blower as much so I am hoping that the car will perform better during continuous hard driving (atuoX, road coarse, ect. .)

I guess that about sums it up. I just got the 2.93/idler on so I havent gone to the dyno yet or anything but so far the car feels great. Sorry for the long explanation

:thumbsup:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I have an extra 2.93 as well. I have a 2.80 on the car right now. My car screems in the 1/8th 98mph but only runs 122 in the 1/4. It has ran 123 once.

I might try the 2.93 out and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread