Calling all "blown" Mustangs...gears u are using?

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
I am currently torn between several gear combos....3.27(stock), 3.73 or 4.10's.

What does everyone have in their steeds? Any regrets either way?

I know IUP99snake has 3.27 stock...but go ahead and chime in "blown" brother!:)

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Okey Dokey, my "forced friend"

Ive been thinking of a gear upgrade too... Im just intimidated by the stupid IRS. I know itll be tough for me to conquer, and I also know that a shop will charge me an arm and a leg... then steal my left nut!

Ive had bad experiences with gear changes. I had an 83 T-Top GT with the 7.5" rear in it. I swear, I blew that thing out like they were going out of style.... Maybe I just need to find a reputable shop, but when I was young and foolish, I took it to the local shop because they worked on circle track cars...

It had 3:08's the first time around, and seeing this as an opportunity, I told them to put at least 3:55's in it. When I got the car back, my exhaust fell off, and it felt less responsive... They told me that it had 3:55's in it!:bored:

Sure enough, those gears were crap, and I blew them out in 2 weeks. I took it to another shop, and they told me that they were 2:73's!!!!! WTF!!!!! I was wondering why i could idle down the highway!!:cuss:

If someone ever...... EVER.... messed with my head and my car like that, I would drag them behind my cobra ... and with 2:73's i would be goin' mighty fast!! :idea: :fm:

Back to the point, though... With the blower, traction is starting to become a major issue. Nataurally aspirated, I couldnt break the tires loose unless I was going around a corner or dropped the clutch.... our power just comes on smooth like that. Now, all I have to do is tap on it a little bit and roasts em right off!

I said this in another gear thread... I had a chance to really get on it today on the highway.... I accidentally forgot to disable the traction control. and it came on all the way until I shifted into 5th gear going 130 something...

With gears, its going to get worse.... oooh man, i cant wait!
3:73's or 3:90's would be great because I do a lot of highway driving and road-tripping...

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
I have 3.73s, and have pretty bad traction problems in first and second gears. I can't go WOT at all in first, and unless the road is dry and the tires are warm I can't do it in second either. That means that as the rpms rise, the tires just break loose. No dumping of clutches or sudden acceleration, just smooth acceleration until the tires reach their limit and break loose.

I couldn't imaging 4.10s. That would make second gear as bad as first. If you are making under 400rwhp, 3.73s is probably your best bet. If you get up above 400rwhp, you could probably get away with 3.55s. It kind of depends on how you drive the car. For 1/4 drag racing, 3.73s are good for blown cars because you max out fourth gear at the end of the run, but not before. That way you can stay on it through the traps. With 4.10s you probably will have to shift before you finish the 1/4 (on a blown application).

With 3.73s, you will turn around 2850rpms in fifth gear (if you have the .67 ratio for fifth) at 80mph.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
3:55's are also an option... its a tough decision though. especially with no traction!!

3:27's are so high in a cobra, that it takes forever to go through all the gears... and forever to wind the motor up! Ive got plenty of horsepower, and If I didnt have the numbers to prove it, I would say that my car pulls like an old stock 5.0! At least thats what all my pessimistic buddies tell me... until I flash them the dyno sheet!

-Homer

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
If you have a Cobra that will rev to 7000rpms or higher, I would probably go with the 3.73s. You could probably even go with 4.10s if you are setting the car up for the track.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Will be going with 3:73:1 as soon as the check for the MM coilovers clears...

99cobrajms

Established Member
4.10s here, with BFG DRs 275/40/17s on the rear, DRs are a must. But from a roll 4.10s are awesome for that pull from 4K-6.8K. I would not be without them.

Feather the clutch out of 1st gear, and with Drs the shift to 2nd is not bad. On my KDWS forget it.

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
Wow! Awesome responses gentlemen. So basically its in the air between 3.73 & 4.10. It should be known that I rarely go to an official 1/4 track....I hate to admit it but mostly street scene(if ya know what I mean).

I think I go with the 3.73..yea that sounds peachy. Thanks again.

99cobrajms

Established Member
Go with 4.10s. The pull feels orgasmic

Brother stradt14, LOL. I just sometimes hope I can get to third gear before that 2nd gear PULL causes pre-mature 3rd gear EJack!

How about 4.10s and 12PSI!!!!!

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
Cobrajams....what psi pulley are u using 8 or 10 psi?

456 rearwheel??? Wow! Whats your secret if u are using the 8 psi pulley. Give me givemegiveme..i need ineedineed

99cobrajms

Established Member
456RWHP is via 10PSI, but I now got 12PSI, DYNO to come later.
Oh , Power Pipe took me from 444 to 456. Seemed low, but I ain't complaining.....

JMS

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
You 10 psi pulley guys...are u running on stock "bottom end?" I heard that our Cobras don't do very well running 10 psi on the stock bottom end?

Any thoughts?

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
Speaking of pulleys...what is the most rearwheel hp running the 8 psi pulley?

Is anybody over 400rwhp with this middle-of-the-pack-pulley?

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
I'm running 3.73's with 12lbs of boost and over 500 RWHP. I am really considering going DOWN to 3.55's. In first and second gears I can't get any traction! :D

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
I'm sticking with the stock gears for now. I have always pulled over 400hp after a tune with my 6lb pulley on. I making 7lbs total, and hitting 464hp, 11.9 A/F

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
When pegging your throttle..hopefully on the highway...what is the max boost u have observed on your gauge? It appears to me that mine never really reaches the full 8 psi until redline..then barely? Shouldn't it come on sooner(the boost)?

Users who are viewing this thread