california smog questions

svt4cobra6

I am moving from Nevada to California and have an 03 cobra. Still has stock tune and pulley but aftermarket catted hpipe and catback as well as a cold air kit, should this pass calif smog ok? Also does calif require a front license plate and if so any way to mount it on to the bumber without drilling holes? Also have window tint but not limo or anything.

svt4cobra6

kern county

the cold air is the K and N older version. The location is Kern county. Wow did not realize they do a visual. In Nevada they just plug into the port. Is there anyway to go to a referee as I no longer have the stock h pipe and it probably still burns just as clean.

svt4cobra6

hpipe

should know in a few weeks if I will need a stock hpipe. We also have a 91 notch that is completely stripped out (drivetrain, engine bay, wire harnesses all removed ect) and were thinking of an 03 cobra motor but wondering if that would work for a smog legal california car.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
should know in a few weeks if I will need a stock hpipe. We also have a 91 notch that is completely stripped out (drivetrain, engine bay, wire harnesses all removed ect) and were thinking of an 03 cobra motor but wondering if that would work for a smog legal california car.

its smog legal, but you need all emissions components for a 03 cobra, including catalytic converters and PCM.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Too bad I'm in Iraq. I am from Las Vegas, but stationed in San Diego. I kept my Cobra registered in Nevada though. But I have a complete stock exhaust for a 04 Cobra in my dads garage in Las Vegas.

northy

Established Member
I'm also moving to CA [Lathrop area, east of the Bay]. I have a 96 Cobra w/an offroad H-pipe. I plan on swapping the stock H-pipe for the smog test and was just going to swap the off road pipe after the test, but have since learned that the CHP is ratcheting up enforcement of this type of thing, as in "hey that white Mustang sounds loud, let's pull it over and do a visual check underneath and give him a big fat ticket!". I also heard that, aside from a Magnaflow high flow catted h pipe, I'm pretty much stuck with the stock pipe...which pretty much kills a major aspect of my enjoyment of this car: THE SOUND.

Can somebody verify this info? What is the reality out there? Thanks, JD

Last edited:

20psirabbit

Established Member
the cold air is the K and N older version. The location is Kern county. Wow did not realize they do a visual. In Nevada they just plug into the port. Is there anyway to go to a referee as I no longer have the stock h pipe and it probably still burns just as clean.

where in kern county? myself and my buddy both live near the edge of kern, and we both have stock h-pipes if you need to borrow one. as far as all the smog worries, try taking it to a guy and see what happens. you'd be surprised how many smog guys either don't know what they're doing or don't care. when i go to smog my car i'm going to take it with the pulley, tune, and magnaflow catted x-pipe and i doubt i'll even get asked about it. if it doesn't pass i'll pop the stock h-pipe on.

svt4cobra6

Thanks might end up borrowing a stock pipe. The location is a small town called Ridgecrest, probably about an hour from palmdale. Hopefully there are some quarter mile tracks out there as we have the las vegas dragstrip here. Yep I heard California is raising the price on everything, taxes, getting your car registered ect. Also heard they might outlaw black cars! Ended up moving because of a job change.

20psirabbit

Established Member
yeah ridgecrest isn't far from here at all. as far as a track, i think the closest thing to you would be famoso in bakersfield. i haven't had a chance to get out there yet, but i think we're supposed to go next month on the 15th or something.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
yeah ridgecrest isn't far from here at all. as far as a track, i think the closest thing to you would be famoso in bakersfield. i haven't had a chance to get out there yet, but i think we're supposed to go next month on the 15th or something.

yes, we are going on the 15th of may for the friday night TNT.

wow, its been a while since i've been up to ridgecrest. the only things to do out there is ride dirtbikes and eat peanut butter pizza :beer:

seenoevil

Banned
when i bought my 03 in nevada, and brought it back to cali and it had to be smogged. The guy didnt check for carb numbers and stock h pipe. I just got lucky i suppose .

Users who are viewing this thread