California "bailout" for Tesla

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Yup, sure sounds like Tesla is doing great...

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-stock-price-california-state-government-bailing-out-2017-7

Not sure how CA has the funds to give 40 grand in taxpayer money to Tesla Model S and Model X purchasers. According to Liberals, those are the exact people who should be paying more in taxes, not getting potential rebates totaling more than people make in an entire year on minimum wage.

Also, how do you have a sustainable business model when it requires the government to subsidize your product?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Tesla will soon hit the limit of the federal tax rebates, which are good for the first 200,000 EVs sold in the US per manufacturer beginning in December 2009 (IRS explanation). In the second quarter after the manufacturer hits the limit, the subsidy gets cut in half, from $7,500 to $3,750; two quarters later, it gets cut to $1,875. Two quarters later, it goes to zero.

Given Tesla’s ambitious US sales forecast for its Model 3, it will hit the 200,000 vehicle limit in 2018, after which the phase-out begins. A year later, the subsidies are gone. Losing a $7,500 subsidy on a $35,000 car is a huge deal. No other EV manufacturer is anywhere near their 200,000 limit. Their customers are going to benefit from the subsidy; Tesla buyers won’t.

This could crush Tesla sales. Many car buyers are sensitive to these subsidies. For example, after Hong Kong rescinded a tax break for EVs effective in April, Tesla sales in April dropped to zero. The good people of Hong Kong will likely start buying Teslas again, but it shows that subsidies have a devastating impact when they’re pulled.

That’s what Tesla is facing next year in the US.

Not exactly a bailout, like given to GM and others. Obviously it's geared towards Tesla to make sure people still have the "incentive" to go electric, and to the most popular brand/pull.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Tesla will soon hit the limit of the federal tax rebates, which are good for the first 200,000 EVs sold in the US per manufacturer beginning in December 2009 (IRS explanation). In the second quarter after the manufacturer hits the limit, the subsidy gets cut in half, from $7,500 to $3,750; two quarters later, it gets cut to $1,875. Two quarters later, it goes to zero.

Given Tesla’s ambitious US sales forecast for its Model 3, it will hit the 200,000 vehicle limit in 2018, after which the phase-out begins. A year later, the subsidies are gone. Losing a $7,500 subsidy on a $35,000 car is a huge deal. No other EV manufacturer is anywhere near their 200,000 limit. Their customers are going to benefit from the subsidy; Tesla buyers won’t.

This could crush Tesla sales. Many car buyers are sensitive to these subsidies. For example, after Hong Kong rescinded a tax break for EVs effective in April, Tesla sales in April dropped to zero. The good people of Hong Kong will likely start buying Teslas again, but it shows that subsidies have a devastating impact when they’re pulled.

That’s what Tesla is facing next year in the US.

Not exactly a bailout, like given to GM and others. Obviously it's geared towards Tesla to make sure people still have the "incentive" to go electric, and to the most popular brand/pull.

Hence why bailout was in quotes in the title. CA government is going to use taxpayer money to prop up sales and keep the company in business.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Hence why bailout was in quotes in the title. CA government is going to use taxpayer money to prop up sales and keep the company in business.

Oh I know. Just saw previous posts about GM/bailouts.

Guess Elon has some lobbyists at work/handing out kickbacks to politicians.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
This won't help Tesla sell vehicles outside of CA either. Although I bet most of their business is in CA.

Blown 89

Established Member
When the government stops propping Tesla up they are in big trouble.

I just spent some time this morning reading a few "news" articles about how unfair it is that we aren't taxing the skin off of rich people to help the freeloads in this country. I won't hold my breath waiting for the outrage over this.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Of course ****ing California would do that. Tax the shit outta CA residents some more! They have money laying around!

08mojo

Established Member
I missed the part of the article where it states this is a bailout for Tesla...and I missed the part where it stated Tesla was looking for a bailout because it is performing poorly.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I missed the part of the article where it states this is a bailout for Tesla...and I missed the part where it stated Tesla was looking for a bailout because it is performing poorly.

Bailout was in quotes. Its not a true bailout, but the government is providing subsidies to prevent a drop in sales as when subsidies disappeared in other markets, sales went to zero. Tesla can't afford to operate without subsidies.

08mojo

Established Member
Is English your third language?

:rolleyes:

Bailout was in quotes. Its not a true bailout, but the government is providing subsidies to prevent a drop in sales as when subsidies disappeared in other markets, sales went to zero. Tesla can't afford to operate without subsidies.

My post wasn't really aimed at you. I know it's not a true bailout, and Tesla does certainly get help from incentives. Other's in this thread have immediately gone to "the sky is falling" mentality without even reading the article.

Users who are viewing this thread