Cali Smog thread

68gtscode

Established Member
I think thats somewhat true. Every place ive been too seems to be sticklers about ANY mid pipe thats not stock regardless. Other minor mods seem to be ok though. Just need to find somewhere willing to *overlook* it.

I just had my 98 GT tested yesterday... it has quite a bit done to it, but not as much as it used to! Anyhow, the guy stuck his head up under my car and saw my Bassani catted X. He started to say he thought it would need 4 cats, not 2 so he looked it up in some book he had. He came back about 5 minutes later and said it only needed 2 cats, so he tested it. Anyhow, the car passed fine and needless to say I'm quite happy! THANKS AED!!!

Matt

laruei

Established Member
i wonder if 03 cobras have to have 4... interesting.. i know our cars had 4 from the factory... i would assume your gt only had 2 from the factory?

68gtscode

Established Member
i wonder if 03 cobras have to have 4... interesting.. i know our cars had 4 from the factory... i would assume your gt only had 2 from the factory?

I know 03 Cobras came with 4 cats from the factory- I held on to my stock H pipe just for emissions purposes... Whether the smog tech enforces this is on your car is another question. I am not sure how many cats my GT came with from Ford. What's weird is that when the tech looked it up, he told me "I thought it was supposed to have 4 cats, but I guess that's just the earlier cars."

I seem to get different answers to the same question every time I go to get a car tested. For example, the last time my Cobra was due (two years ago), it was 100% bone stock except for a cat back... I had to take it to 3 different places before someone would even test it! The first 2 places wouldn't test it just because of the cat back. Everyone is so mis-informed and paranoid that I feel a lot of it just depends on who happens to be working at the testing station at any given time! My Cobra is due again this summer- I'm going to slap my stock H pipe on there and see how it does with the Whipple!

Matt

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
thank god I'm in the military (stationed in San Diego) and my vehicles are registered in Oregon and I don't have to worry about silly smog inspections.. (my car would pass regardless)

bitten

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
My 03 Kenne Bell Cobra is due for a smog. Can anybody point me to a modded Cobra friendly smog station. I live in Hayward CA.

PM me if need be.

Thanks

Last edited:

rob_03cobra

Established Member
Mine passed with a 2.8 pulley, RAI, and stock Midpipe (no Catback) I had just gone to a solid and didnt know my smog was due. The special shops shouldnt run over 250 or else your getting screwed.

Users who are viewing this thread