CAI -- Yeh, I know, old topic

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
As we study the mystery of the Piggie (why it has such a slow MPH in the quarter) the two main culprits are
1. the ET Streets
2. No CAI. Somewhere along the line I just stuck a bigass filter on and forgot it to do anything else...

Dramatically, on a head to head run, while running a .55 slower ET, Tetge's car gained a net 7(!) miles per hour against the Oinker in the last 1/8, being 3 MPH slower at the 1/8 and finishing up 3-4 MPH faster. Tetge's car is very strong, but Piggie is pretty strong too -- except for that final surge.

So homies, could it be the missing CAI?
Or just the Piggie weight and the ET STreets.
And of course, if I can only have ET or MPH, I'll keep the ET...
JW ;-)

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
James u dont have a CAI on the Piggie?

Im sure a S&B 12" open ended filter just might make it Oink a bit more MPH :D

I thought ur MPH was a bit off. I gained a 2 - 4 mph better then the previous times before but im going to say it was the COLD air helping me get a bit leaner......

InS0mNiAc

Just call me Lucifer
Established Member
With all the major gains that I've seen with just CAI and a catback exhaust for the 03's then I'm sure that the CAI is a vital piece of the equation. What about the et streets causes the slower runs? I'm running them on the truck and never heard about them slowing runs down.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Maybe the MPH it is but not the ET :eek:

Since the Walkers know how to do burnouts....i mean Adam Walker.
So very sticky tires are keeping them from spinning off the line :shrug:

Im sure my BFG's are spinning just a tad bit but not like Street Tires. :eek:

InS0mNiAc

Just call me Lucifer
Established Member
But what is it about the et streets that makes having them on the car/truck lose mph in the run? The fact that they're not completely smooth?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by InS0mNiAc
But what is it about the et streets that makes having them on the car/truck lose mph in the run? The fact that they're not completely smooth?

Im just guessing but just the mear fact that u dont spin off the line means ur hooking & high tailing it to the finish line.

DR's & street tire....u can hear & feel them spinning just a tad bit so the end result might just be the MPH at the end......

Right?

James do u have a CAI?

InS0mNiAc

Just call me Lucifer
Established Member
Thanks for trying to clear things up with me Pmoddy but I'm still lost heh, I don't get how having a street tire thats spinning out of the hole is going to net higher mph in the back then a tire that "gets up and goes" right away. Maybe I'm just ignorant in my thinking but I'd love to figure this out since I'm running et streets and if their impairing me in any way, I'd just like to know. :D

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Nah Bryan...i dont understand it my self :D I just put up my thoughts on it.

I like to see the Piggie run with some Nitto's to see if they can trap a better MPH Run & maybe the same ET but not sure if Adam would want to do all that work :eek:

But that would be a good way to find out right?

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Nah Bryan...i dont understand it my self :D I just put up my thoughts on it.

I like to see the Piggie run with some Nitto's to see if they can trap a better MPH Run & maybe the same ET but not sure if Adam would want to do all that work :eek:

But that would be a good way to find out right?

Adam would probably not mind... We drive the Nitto Drs to the track and take them off. We could just stick the skinnie minnies on and let'r rip!!! One more test!

And I just have the 12" filter on in place of the stock filter and housing. Plus the old C&L plastic piece that supposedly keeps engine heat away from the filter. It is my lucky charm...
:rockon: :rockon:
JW

InS0mNiAc

Just call me Lucifer
Established Member
Theres nothing better than a direct comparison with 1 hour cool downs in between runs, I might do this actually with my et streets aswell since my problems started with adding those, haven't netted a better e/t or mph since I started running with the et's....Haven't even gotten a better 60 ft.....I need a new pulley :D

stang99

We had this theory that DR's were hurting our trap speeds. At the time it was Nittos that we were blaming. However, these days the Nittos are not hurting my trap speeds at all. They are hurting my gas mileage instead.
The problem with blaming the tires seems to be that Ms. Piggy (vert) has run the higher trap speeds on the same day as lower ones. If it were a mechanical thing involving the ET Streets, I'd expect to see it behave as a constant. And, as has been pointed out, ET Streets do not seem to hurt the speed of cars since FiveOhDean hit the 11's and 120 mph on them at Famoso.
On the other hand, it is strange since my trap speeds barely varied at C-Bad or at LACR. Around 117 at C-Bad and 114 at both days of LACR. The vert has a much wider range of speeds, but generates consistent ET's. My best bet would be malignant aliens with remote contols messing with us. This is just an educated opinion, and I could be wrong.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
" My best bet would be malignant aliens with remote contols messing with us. This is just an educated opinion, and I could be wrong."

Tetge,
You were in sight for all of the runs, so unless you worked the controls with your mental powers, I don't think so.

:rockon:
JW

Last edited:

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
jh, do you have a recent dyno graph? maybe the torque's dropping off or the hp is peaking early? next time we go to the track we can hook the autotap up and log each run.

maoun

Established Member
i think it's cuz yours is a vert....aerodynamics are much worse and the weight is much worse..

i don't think the cai makes that much of a diff

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by FuShnickens
jh, do you have a recent dyno graph? maybe the torque's dropping off or the hp is peaking early? next time we go to the track we can hook the autotap up and log each run.

Nothing recent. I think I told you why...
Last time it looked like a Cobra -- Torque like a table top, then dropping slightly at high rpm. HP climbing to the shutoff point.

I'll check it all out after the next mod.
J;-)

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
Originally posted by jhwalker
" My best bet would be malignant aliens with remote contols messing with us. This is just an educated opinion, and I could be wrong."

Tetge,
You were in sight for all of the runs, so unless you worked the controls with your mental powers, I don't think so.

:rockon:
JW

I, on the other hand, instead of being at LACR or on the boards, was piloting a craft, well, it was "otherworldly".
:bowdown:

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
Originally posted by jhwalker
Nothing recent. I think I told you why...
Last time it looked like a Cobra -- Torque like a table top, then dropping slightly at high rpm. HP climbing to the shutoff point.

I'll check it all out after the next mod.
J;-)

oh yeah, now i remember. :bash: then it's obviously planetary misalignment. or something.

maybe the tires. :shrug: you guys were trapping lower than i was in my car w/ the et streets though the et's were quite a bit faster.

Users who are viewing this thread