CAI vs K&N

slyguy

Established Member
Guys - what are your thoughts on this?

Say you get 10 HP from a CAI - most seem to be going for around $380 or so.

A K&N is around $50.

Say you get 4 HP from a K&N (I don't really know what that number is - if anyone does, please share it!)

Is it really worth $330 for 6 more ponies? ($55/per pony)

Will you even notice a difference of 6 HP???

I'm just thinking, that's all...

Has anybody put together a tune for the stock intake with a K&N???

slyguy

Established Member
I'm sure you can tell the difference, but my question is more along the lines of:

What would the difference be between a tune and a K&N vs. a tune and a CAI? Would the difference be noticable, and worth the cost difference?

On another note, thank you for your service - I can't tell you how much I respect your decision to serve. Stay safe!!!

ViciousJay

Established Member
I'm sure you can tell the difference, but my question is more along the lines of:

What would the difference be between a tune and a K&N vs. a tune and a CAI? Would the difference be noticable, and worth the cost difference?

On another note, thank you for your service - I can't tell you how much I respect your decision to serve. Stay safe!!!

the tune is what your feeling. I dont know anyone that can feel 5 hp increase, as for the other question it looks like a stock filter or K&N is the better bargin. Until theres full exhaust or FI application to allow tghe car to breathe more it looks like the stocker is the way to roll

slyguy

Established Member
the tune is what your feeling. I dont know anyone that can feel 5 hp increase, as for the other question it looks like a stock filter or K&N is the better bargin. Until theres full exhaust or FI application to allow tghe car to breathe more it looks like the stocker is the way to roll

Well, that is what I was thinking, but I haven't heard of anybody putting in a K&N and a tune...

I'm just going with a K&N, Hushpower axle-backs and a tune to start with, followed up with some suspension tweeks.

Then I'm thinking a Whipple next spring, along with further exhaust mods at that point.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Well, that is what I was thinking, but I haven't heard of anybody putting in a K&N and a tune...

I'm just going with a K&N, Hushpower axle-backs and a tune to start with, followed up with some suspension tweeks.

Then I'm thinking a Whipple next spring, along with further exhaust mods at that point.

sounds good post some numbers up when finished

DIB5.0

Established Member
The 2011 Procal sold by Ford Racing comes with tune and K&N filter for $369.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
I have a k&n and a tune. and you can def see that the stock air box its quite good, but for us high elevations guys the cai allows for a lot more air flow. As soon as the jlt carbon fiber is available i'll be getting one

SVT_4_me

Established Member

redline

Established Member

the combo i went with is k&n ,jon lund tune and hushpower cat back, with that ole barton shifter .btw shifts great.

cobra1718

Established Member

See my HP numbers below. I had a K&N with a VMP tune. Btw I have a K&N filter I will sell you for 30 shipped. I have installed a CF JLT

try03venom

Established Member
I think all the power is in the tune. I would like to see someone make a couple runs at the track get a baseline for MPH then switch to a CAI that will telll the tale! This is true: with my 2003 Terminator when i took the drivers side headlight out at the track it was worth a solid 1 mph everytime!

ViciousJay

Established Member
I think all the power is in the tune. I would like to see someone make a couple runs at the track get a baseline for MPH then switch to a CAI that will telll the tale! This is true: with my 2003 Terminator when i took the drivers side headlight out at the track it was worth a solid 1 mph everytime!

The intake wont shine on the dyno but in real world driving it will most def out preform any k&n or stocker... i wasnt a believer till i slapped one on. JJ@WMS and many other vendors all stand behind it.... some have dropped up to .3 tenths and added 2-3 mph in the traps. When coupled with a tune its a vicious combo. Alot of people with cry about dyno numbers and you know what dyno numbers are nothing more then saying i have a 10" penis but when thrown into the real world they may have a 10" penis but its limp and useless....

Last edited:

try03venom

Established Member
The intake wont shine on the dyno but in real world driving it will most def out preform any k&n or stocker... i wasnt a believer till i slapped one on. JJ@WMS and many other vendors all stand behind it.... some have dropped up to .3 tenths and added 2-3 mph in the traps. When coupled with a tune its a vicious combo.
can you post a pic?

ViciousJay

Established Member
can you post a pic?

what would you like a pic of?

Also the beauty part of this intake is you dont have to remove the headlight, theres a tunneled in system built in. As long as its a sealed system CAI or sealed as best as possible it will work

Last edited:

try03venom

Established Member
this is it
wildramairintake.gif

Mus35th

Established Member
I think a good medium is the Roush intake.

I picked one up for $175 and they add roughly 8/9 RWHP/TQ

Another thing that sold me was the factory look and quality of it.

Now if you are going with a all out N/A setup it will probably hold you back some since it has stock diameter MAF housing but for a car with a few bolt ons you're fine.

Users who are viewing this thread