CAI debate- Some new dyno info with the K&N Aircharger

SAcobra427

Established Member
I just had my Cobra to the dyno to see what it was making with my mods ( K&N Aircharger, 3.2 pulley, Ford FR500 cat back) It did a best of 468 HP and 429 torque with the hood open and a best of 463 HP 426 torque with the hood shut. Both runs were done with a large fan (48" dia.) running right in front of the car. It was blowing about 40 mph I would guess. So it would appear as if all the talk about the big straight filters in the motor compartment having a slight advantage on the dyno when the hood is up is true. In my case it was a 5 HP differance, just thought you might want to see this. Tom

larryc7777

Established Member
Are those numbers SAE? With that pulley you are probably only getting about 11 PSI. Those are extremely good numbers. Can you post a dyno chart?

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
That is what i was thinking larryc7777.The numbers do seem high for your setup maybe a factory freak.........

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
You didn't happen to do one with the hood down and headlight out did you?

03DOHC

Established Member
So if I flip a coin twice and both times it's heads I can conclude that every time I flip a coin it will be heads? Hmm.

You can easily lose that much HP on your second pull due to heat. What I'd like to see is the filters compared over a season of running at the strip.

SAcobra427

Established Member
The run with the hood down was run first, ( the car was cooled down for about an hour after I got there, the outside air temp was 76 degrees) then the run with it up was done about 35-40 min later. My A/F was a bit lean 13.1 from 2100 to 2900 but held fairly steady at 12.5 until just past 5500 then ended up at 11.7 at 6450. This was with the stock chip that came with the car. Another guy with a yellow '03 vert was at the place and pulled a best of 504rwhp with a JDM pulley (don't know the size- looked like about 3") chip, Kooks LT headers, 9" filter, throttle body and plenum so I was happy with my numbers for what I spent compared to him.

03DOHC

Established Member
Too many variables involved to come to a conclusion with just a couple of pulls. I believe track results are a better way to tell what works. A dyno is a static measurement and is a tuning tool, but results on the track are the final judge. I'm not criticizing you, just offering a viewpoint.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Too many variables involved to come to a conclusion with just a couple of pulls. I believe track results are a better way to tell what works. A dyno is a static measurement and is a tuning tool, but results on the track are the final judge. I'm not criticizing you, just offering a viewpoint.

I agree with you

Last edited:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Got my AirCharger tonight. I'll have it on tomarrow, and I'll give ya SOTP impressions. I have no dyno #s for my car, no dynos close dammit! :)

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I tried that also a few weeks back, my hood down pull was my second highest hp by a couple. I attribute any variances to ... well, variances, not the hood position. Nice to have two folks now that have shown no significant change from hood position on the dyno. thanks.

Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread