Cabin insulation...

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Jay if you have an air gap, at least 1" from heat source for your AC lines. Any aluminized sleeving will work. Ours is called Thermaflect Sleeve, but any one like that will work just fine.

If you are generating that kind of heat, you may also think about adding some extractors/louvers to your hood. Good air flow is a huge part of thermal dynamics. In addition to the cooling benefits it can add a little downforce if you are racing/autocrossing your car.

Thos old tiger Racing hood back when Paul was still around were pretty awesome for both. He helped us test products.

I already have vents for my stock hood, as much as I love the new TF hoods I prefer the clean stock look for my Cobra. I have not seen any prices listed on your website but as soon as I get together a list of what products I will use I will be asking for a quote. I will be insulating all my HE coolant lines, AC lines and my exhaust/X-pipe.

Update #3

Yesterday was ~100F heat index so I did some measurements on the way to the gym. Fresh out of the garage and fully warmed up I had a low reading 38F coming out of my AC vents on the highway (MAX AC, level 1 fan). After just over an hour in the sun and a good heat soak my charge temp was reading 112F on the highway and my AC vents had a low reading of 53F (MAX AC, level 1 fan). This was only a 30 minute trip, I am sure that with more highway cruising it would have dropped some more but overall I am satisfied with the AC performance with the HE off-line and my trans tunnel/floor pan insulated with the foam/foil duct insulation.

Next step will be to install a bypass valve for my HE and insulate all the lines/exhaust but as it sits right now my Cobra is now comfortable with the AC running and the windows up.

Heatshield

Established Member
I already have vents for my stock hood, as much as I love the new TF hoods I prefer the clean stock look for my Cobra. I have not seen any prices listed on your website but as soon as I get together a list of what products I will use I will be asking for a quote. I will be insulating all my HE coolant lines, AC lines and my exhaust/X-pipe.

We don't sell directly. It's too difficult to do here in Nazi Germany, i mean Kalifornia. You can order from Summit Racing, Blow by Racing, and race Part Solutions. Just keep the part numbers handy and they can get you all squared away.

Regarding the flir, it is one of the high end man portable units. I dont have the model in front if me. We can work something out regarding photos etc. My car is currently in pieces while im installing gear and waiting on parts, so I can't get it up to temps.

Boogie - use the contact form on our site please, send us an email and do an ATTN: Steve. I'd like to get something done on the Stealth Shield and Header Armor if your game. We'd be stoked to do it when you are ready.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
We don't sell directly. It's too difficult to do here in Nazi Germany, i mean Kalifornia. You can order from Summit Racing, Blow by Racing, and race Part Solutions. Just keep the part numbers handy and they can get you all squared away.

Starting off with insulating my cats, will move on to the AC/HE lines once I install a bypass valve and remove all the HE hardlines. Thanks for all the info and help.

On a side note does anyone know what sensor and temp pulls timing???

SVT_Troy

Established Member
The ECU pulls timing via the IAT sensor located at the rear of the blower. Readings This guy gets heat soaked pretty bad but I have not seen anyone to come up with a fix or anything.

I forget the factory temp at which the ECU starts to pull timing but most tuners will adjust this with a tune as the factory was pulling temps early. I'll see if I can dip up the info for you

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Shamelessly ripped from mod fords site -

The timing retard table based on IAT2 and degrees of timing pulled at a certain RPM & Load %. The "ACT timing retard" table starts to do its thing at 101 degrees and is in full swing at 150 but it does start at 101 F., at 125 degrees ACT at 3000 rpm, Load above 130% there is a timing retard of approx. -2.52 degrees. The table is designed to interpolate the amount of retard based on Temp and cross references to another table for RPM -vs- Load. At 150 F 6000 rpm, load above 130% it is approx. -3.9. Above 150 degrees the table is very aggressive. 200 degrees ACT 3000-4000 load above 110% timing is retarded from -8.4 to - 5.4 degrees. In the midrange RPMs it is pulling a fair amount causing the car to fall on its face. The table can be dis-armed so to speak or values raised.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Troy, gonna figure out how to data log with my X4 and talk to my tuner.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I just set up mine to data log with AFR but I'm using a X3. Setup up should be pretty much the same just different formulas.... Maybe. I had Kevin aka 04 Sleeper remote tune mine and he is excellent to say the least. My Cobra had never driven so smooth.

Let me know if you have any questions with setting up for logging.

Users who are viewing this thread