C7 Zr1 splitter breaks at 160 mph...

ArabianOak

Established Member
Hi Gang,

I was doing a high speed run this morning and my front splitter broke at 160mph...i heard it rattle, slowed down right away and sure enough my splitter came off on one side and cracked on the other...I have it on video. I am just curious if anyone would do a warranty claim since it literally fell off or just fix it out of pocket...

Also, any advice on using the video as evidence with my local dealer? The car is built for speed but I am a little leary of sharing videos like this even though it was on "private property" cough cough...

thoughts?

MG0h3

Established Member
Guessing by on video you mean a Speedo video and then you getting out to view damage?

I’d blur out the speedo if you could and only use that as a last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
1) If you haven’t already I’d look on the web and see if this is a known issue
2) I’d probably save the video for if they try to deny it. Should be able to see an impact on a CF splitter i would think

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Got ya. But I think the dealer will assume I hit something. The video clearly shows I didn’t. Thoughts?

Why would they assume that though? Does it shows physical signs of impact?

TREED from above...

ArabianOak

Established Member
I’ll post pics of damage. One side the screws failed and carbon piece came off. It’s pretty mangled. Big crack on the other side.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Got ya. But I think the dealer will assume I hit something. The video clearly shows I didn’t. Thoughts?
If there is no appearance of a "debris hit", then the dealer shouldn't claim it was damaged from hitting something.

MG0h3

Established Member

That’s why I’m saying def show the video if they balk. If you’re worried some dbag may try and report the speed, block the speedo out

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app

ArabianOak

Established Member
C8C2864D-B34B-4336-9153-64763268ABBE.jpeg
33CD0540-E534-42D7-83B6-63250EC7567D.jpeg
93B15F7D-6D80-4971-BDDC-B1EB6CFF6C66.jpeg
DAF831E9-B8DE-4392-9A4F-3A0A943BE6C5.jpeg

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
That shit is destroyed! I cant see the dealer balking at that? The car is made to go way faster than 160 mph and they dont need to know how fast u were going anyway. They dont need to see video.

They just need to know it broke while driving down the hi way. If they ask how fast u were driving say I dont remember my eyes were on the road.

This sounds like an easy dealer warranty fix. Its not like u were jumping sand dunes or something.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
To me, that straight line crack tells a lot. An impact I would assume would cause splintering in multiple directions. In your case, a support failed and caused a straight line fracture. Unless the warranty manager is a dick, I don’t see why they wouldn’t take care of you.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Trim or body pieces are hard to get covered under warranty, keep in mind most dealers don't get to make that call, the manufacture does. If they warranty something that the manufacture kicks back it comes out of their pocket. If they aren't clear on something being warranty typically there is a district manager that will review the claim and make the final call. OP I wish you luck, it can't hurt anything to get the dealer to start a warranty claim, even if it is denied. I would leave out the speed you were going though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good advice above in all the posts.

Don't show a video.
Don't state how fast you were going.
Do say you didn't hit anything.
Do say it happened while you were on the freeway.

Users who are viewing this thread