c6 zo6 vs. ford gt

COBRA32

Established Member
Since you can not get a new Z06 yet. If I went with the Vette and Viper guys thinking maybe I will get a chance at a Slow GT for bargain. So there is no Z06 in my future. Here’s hoping you guys are right. But I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
COBRA32 said:
Its like if you gave a person a choice between a Ferrari and a Corvette told them you could have either one and both where the same price, 99% of the people would chose the Ferrari not because its faster than the Vette they would chose the Ferrari just because it is one of the coolest cars out there.

The same 99% would probly pick the Ferrari over the GT as well. Status is the name of the game when you are talking cars in this price range, in my opionion. Bigger wow factor for driving a Ferrari than a Ford or a Chevy.

Personally I believe the cars are going to be alot closer than most people think, I am not saying the vette will be faster on the road course, but no way will it be a blood bath either. We'll know soon enough.

Brian

VENOM650R

Established Member
notoriousdad said:
YOU HAVE A VIPER; DID YOU THINK IT WAS FAIR FOR A 'PROTOTYPE - NON-PRODUCTION CORVETTE' SHOULD RUN AGAINST A GT VIPER? Gm Has Been Racing The Vette With A 427 Since 1999? Now It Is 2005 And They Finally Race What They Sell? Whether Other Companies Have A Factory Competitor In There, Or Not, Does Not Answer The Question Of Beating People In The Gt Class With A Car That Isn't A Gt Car! Those 'wins' Were Not Legitimate In The Fact That Lemans Series Racing, W/o The Politics, Are Prototypes And Gt Cars (in Different Classes). Because Of The Politics, And Needed Infusions Of Cash From Big Cash Givers, They 'gave In', And Let A Prototype Race In Gt! Gt Racing Is Just That; A Gran Turismo (road Car) That Is Available To The Public, Being Raced. Its That Or Nothing Or It Doesn't Work Right.

I Guess I Get Tired Of The Politics, Being 'old Hat'. I Grew Up Watching The Ford Gt's And The Cobra's Run In Their Appropriate Classes And Win; No Fooling Around There. It Was Tried, By Ferrari, To Get A 250 Lm As A 'gt' Car; However, When They Went To Count The Cars, They Didn't Make Enough To Homologate It; Therefore, Denying It A Spot In Gt.

It's Funny Though; The Corvette Ran With The 427 In Gt Since 1999; Bmw Brought Out A V-8 M3 And Was Denied Running It Because They Weren't Selling Enough WITH THE V-8?!?! pORSCHE FIXED THAT! What's Good For The Goose Should Be Good For The Gander, But Gm Can Never Win Anything Fair And SqUAre Outright. It's Either Bullshit Nascar, Where The Teams Cry If They're Not Fast Enough, And Get The Rules Changed, AND THE CARS AREN'T REALLY THEIR CARS (HAS A MONTE CARLO EVER REALLY WON ANYTHING, BUT ITS THE 'CHOICE OF CHAMPIONS?!) Or, Like Gm, After Getting Their Ass Kicked By The Saleen S7r In 2001, Cry That They Would Pull Out Unless They Restricted The Saleen's Air Intakes. They Did, To Keep Gm There, And Ever Since, The Saleen (who Sells The 427 Car They Race) Has Not Been Competitive. AND IN 2002, THEY RESTRICTED THAT CAR MORE WHEN THEY DECIDED NOT TO COUNT A PERFECTLY MADE CAR, THAT WAS A CRASH CAR, IN THE COUNT. I WONDER WHO WAS COUNTING 427 VETTE'S? Now That's How Gm Wins.

Ford's Records, Internationally, In Formula One., Sports Car Racing, World Rally, Btcc, Drag Racing, Indy Cars - Is Untouched By Any American Manufacturer. The Cars Gm Touts As Their Champions Are Either 'kit Cars' (nascar) Or Cars In Races Where The Corvette Is Given 'a Pass'! My Gosh, Even In The Irl, Chevy Was Not Competitive And Finally Bought ForD Cosworth Motors! They Almost WON The Year They Made The Switch. I See Nothing That Gm Can Hold A Candle Close To Ford's Reputation! Hell, Chevy Would'nt Even Have A V-8 If It Hadn't Have Been Invented By Ford In 1932! :bash:

Notoriousdad, you're absolutely right about the pass they gave the C5R. And GTSpartan shame on you for saying the C5R beat the GTSR fair and square. They had air and tire restrictions on the Viper so the Vette could be competitive. Without restrictions the Viper would kick any Vette's ass any time, any day, including today! :rockon:

Last edited:

Blade

Just browsing....
Established Member
notoriousdad said:
YES, THE NEW CORVETTE Z06 WILL BE A FINE CAR, BUT CORVETTES ALWAYS HAVE HAD A HISTORY OF GETTING THEIR 'ASSES BEAT' IF THERE WAS ANY STIFF COMPETITION. THE ONLY REASON THEY WIN NOW IS BECAUSE THEY GET TO DO ANYTHING TO THE CAR AT THE RACETRACK AND CALL IT 'GT' AND HAVE MILLIONS IN DEVELOPMENT MONEY! THE CARS THEY 'BEAT' ON THE TRACK WOULD KILL THEM ON THE ROAD (SALEEN S7, FOR STARTERS).
Didn't I read or hear somewhere that there are a bunch of restrictions placed on the S7R bcz it would otherwise run away from the C5Rs?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
VENOM650R said:
Notoriousdad, you're absolutely right about the pass they gave the C5R. And GTSpartan shame on you for saying the C5R beat the GTSR fair and square. They had air and tire restrictions on the Viper so the Vette could be competitive. Without restrictions the Viper would kick any Vette's ass any time, any day, including today! :rockon:

Sorry, I should have said according to the rules they beat them. Thats B.S. to me, but those are the rules and if you don't like them don't race. Also, when the factory stopped backing the Viper that was the main reason they could not compete.

The S7R is no more restricted than the C6R and I think at LeMans last year the C5R had like a 15% intake restriction, so it goes both ways. The Saleen S7R has to atleast finish a race w/o any major problems before it is going to have a chance to win.

Last edited:

MACHSELF

Established Member
Codes said:
Personaly I think its impossible to tell since the Z06 isnt even out yet. Ford is going to have hell to pay from some people though if the Z06 does outperform it...

I agree. Personally I think Ford failed with the Shelby 500 Mustang and I am a die-hard Ford Fan! How can Ford let the new ZO6 outperform the top production Mustang? I would fire the top engineer in front of his team and then say to the rest of them, "You all have one year to upgrade this Shelby to outperform the ZO6 or you're all fired!" Really pisses me off that the "top" production rated Corvette will be faster than the "top" rated production Mustang, and normally aspirated, and a small-block even though it will be 427cid. I'm going to MMR in Oxnard and having a 5.0 stroker built for my Mach 1. Heads, cam, the whole nine! No blower and 440rwhp. I had to do this because my license plate is BYE VETT.....

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
MACHSELF said:
I agree. Personally I think Ford failed with the Shelby 500 Mustang and I am a die-hard Ford Fan! How can Ford let the new ZO6 outperform the top production Mustang? I would fire the top engineer in front of his team and then say to the rest of them, "You all have one year to upgrade this Shelby to outperform the ZO6 or you're all fired!" Really pisses me off that the "top" production rated Corvette will be faster than the "top" rated production Mustang, and normally aspirated, and a small-block even though it will be 427cid. I'm going to MMR in Oxnard and having a 5.0 stroker built for my Mach 1. Heads, cam, the whole nine! No blower and 440rwhp. I had to do this because my license plate is BYE VETT.....

Your Mustang will now cost 60k if you want it to beat a Z06 from the factory. The top corvette has always been faster than the top mustang from the factory, but it has always cost more.

Formula51

Established Member
VENOM650R said:
Without restrictions the Viper would kick any Vette's ass any time, any day, including today! :rockon:

Do you believe this to be true of the "civilian" production cars? I dont remember the exact numbers from past tests of the C5 Z versus the Viper, but I believe they were very close on the road course and the Viper was faster in a straightline. Until the Viper is "upgraded" the FAQ's pertaining to the new Z appear to place it between the Viper and the Ford GT (likley closer to the GT). And the rumor is at a cost less than both of them.

sckcobra

Established Member
everyone here is forgetting the insane prices that people are going to have to pay for the first zo6. it will be close to 100k for the first few im sure. and as long as people will pay for it the dealers will charge.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
The C6 z06 is a bargain opposed to the GT and the GT is a bargain compared to anything Italian...but if I had the money for either the GT or z06, I'd probably have enough for both...and the Viper. I'd even build a climate controlled garage to stable my beauties from each of the Big Three.

And to those getting butt hurt by the bow tie children, let 'em talk...because that's all it is.

Formula51

Established Member
I agree that there will be a " market adjustment" for a little while. This is to be expected with all anticipated american performance cars these days, its a shame. However, they are going to make a lot more of these cars than the GT or Viper, thus I expect the price gouging to disappear fairly quickly (similar to the Cobra). I also dont expect markups of over 20k, which is likely what it would require to make the car almost 100k. The Z06 does not yet have the lineage and prestige(sp) of the GT40, not is it a limited production car. Therefore, it should not suffer the same price markups that befall the Ford GT. Dont hope for the Z to cost twice its MSRP like the GT, it just isn't going to happen.

Formula51

Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:
I just think it's really funny tha tthe gm guys actually think the new z is goign to be able to hang on a road course :lol: :lol: :lol: The gt is a purpose built road-race inspired car.. Let me put it to you this way, on the same SMALL road course. Muscle mustangs ran a new gt vs. an 03 cobra. THe gt ran over 5 seconds quicker then the 2003 cobra each lap. TO quote the mag on this small of a course "that is insane". With drag radials alone, they dipped into the 10's....

I really cant wait t osee the first gt vs. 05 zo6 comparision, I really cant...it's gonna be a blood bath.

Well, I had to drag this one up again. Cause Mr. Moseley and I had some unfinished business.

The C6 Z06 on stock tires ran a 7:42.9 min Nurburgring time with Jan Magnuson at the wheel. A tick faster than the Porsche GT3 RS! Thus making is the 3rd fastest production car of ALL TIME!!! Not bad for $65k. Mr Heinrichy also was in Germany and did some hot laps in the C6 Z06 and turned in a 7m42s as well.

So your question was, will the Z06 hang on a road course? Seeing as the Z06 is right there with the top performance cars of the world and the Ford GT was never run at Nurburgring, I think the question should be, will a GT hang on a road course?

Either way, there CERTAINLY wouln't be any blood baths. Man I love being right. :coolman:

satx

Banned
I think that performance wise the cars will be fairly close.....however in desirability the cars are not even in the same league.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
nurb #s are released, 7:42 for the z06. thats 10 seconds off the carrera GT, tied with the 996 GT2, 2 seconds faster than the pagani zonda S, 8 seconds faster than the murcielago, and 10 seconds faster than the merc/mclaren SLR. the viper GTS run is 8:10. on street tires too. its reported that thats the second fastest time by a production car(carrera GT being the fastest). this is in the september issue of motortrend, the october issue(next months) their gonna be doing a test drive of the Z. this thing is gonna be fast but i think the GT will edge it out. i think it will be the GT on the straights all the way and the Z just getting the GT on the corners.

Formula51

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
nurb #s are released, 7:42 for the z06. thats 10 seconds off the carrera GT, tied with the 996 GT2, 2 seconds faster than the pagani zonda S, 8 seconds faster than the murcielago, and 10 seconds faster than the merc/mclaren SLR. the viper GTS run is 8:10. on street tires too. its reported that thats the second fastest time by a production car(carrera GT being the fastest). this is in the september issue of motortrend, the october issue(next months) their gonna be doing a test drive of the Z. this thing is gonna be fast but i think the GT will edge it out. i think it will be the GT on the straights all the way and the Z just getting the GT on the corners.

I agree with ya. Add in the Z significantly out-braking the GT.

The reason I said 3rd fastest is that supposedly there was a re-test of the McLaren SLR and it ran a 7:40, but I am not positive if this car was stock or if this even occured.

satx said:
I think that performance wise the cars will be fairly close.....however in desirability the cars are not even in the same league.

I understand that the GT is very desirable, yet there are many sitting on showroom floors because of price gauging. I guess its not desirable at any cost! The Z06 will be a very desirable car and GM will sell all that are produced. Do be careful not to sound like you are getting defensive of the car and jumping in with the "well, who care's what a Corvette does the GT is more rare and desirable and therefore better." I am NOT AT ALL saying that is what you were doing, I just dont want that to happen because I think it takes away from the GT. The GT has nothing to worry about even if the Z does match it or beat it in a few categories. It is a car built to honor an icon, looks beautiful and tops out at ~214mph. The Z isn't going to touch that number, but the rest are up for grabs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread