C6 Z06 vs. FGT vs. SRTC. *Edmunds review*

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
comparsion of the Z06, to Ford GT, and Viper i think. but this is about the Z06 now which is good for info in comparison of the cars

anyway, if 2 valve ohv designs flow more and make more power, then how is 4v OHC motors/heads any better? flow makes power. i dont care how it gets in there, as long as it mixes with fuel and burns well. only thing about OHC is less parts up there and they can rev. also they seem to have better low lift flow numbers to a point to comparable flowing 2 valve OHV heads. but when setup right, OHV seems to be unbeatable. no need for super high revs when you can make that power abit lower rpms with more cubes. i see no need for GM to pursue OHC designs. Ls heads are the main reason for the power behind the Lsx's.

I'm sure the extra .5"+ of bore has nothing to do with the size of the ports which has nothing to do with how much the heads flow.

I'm sure an OHC head made for a 4"+ bore would make a lot more power take for instance the Ford 427 SOHC(made in 1964) supposedly there is a dyno to 8500 rpm but I can't find it.

This is an exerpt from the SAE papers about the engine.
Cammer%20Dyno.jpg

Think if this were a 4 valve :rockon:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
I'm sure the extra .5"+ of bore has nothing to do with the size of the ports which has nothing to do with how much the heads flow.

eh true... didnt really consider that. but still there are 4 inch bore ohv 2 valve heads for sbc that flow just as much as the 3.55 inch mod motors. then there are some 4inch bore sbc heads that flow a ton more than mod motors. even small block ford heads that flow more.
the port size tho doesnt matter what bore diameter is. ports that are bigger feed more air at higher rpms so you neeed to rev the motor more. ofcourse more cubes want more air so you want bigger ports. mod motors can rev in the 6K's. pushrods with teh right heads with the larger port sizes will make power up there too. course i dont know that the port size is on the mod motors. 99+ pi heads are 159cc intake, dont know the exhaust. still i dont see a huge advantage of motors with ohc's.

and that big mod motor is pretty impressive! but alot of that power could be contributed to the hemi combustion chamber which allowed for alot more flow than wedge type combustion chambers. if the two heads flowed the same, i bet it would make similar power

Last edited:

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
comparsion of the Z06, to Ford GT, and Viper i think. but this is about the Z06 now which is good for info in comparison of the cars

anyway, if 2 valve ohv designs flow more and make more power, then how is 4v OHC motors/heads any better? flow makes power. i dont care how it gets in there, as long as it mixes with fuel and burns well. only thing about OHC is less parts up there and they can rev. also they seem to have better low lift flow numbers to a point to comparable flowing 2 valve OHV heads. but when setup right, OHV seems to be unbeatable. no need for super high revs when you can make that power abit lower rpms with more cubes. i see no need for GM to pursue OHC designs. Ls heads are the main reason for the power behind the Lsx's.

The 4-Valve heads on the 00R/GT/GT-500 can easily keep right up with those LS7 heads. They can flow 375+ CFM with a MILD port job, not to mention they flow something ridiculous like 260 CFM at .220 lift, and it just increases from there on out. They can also flow 300+ CFM on the exuhast side with minimal work, thats more then the 99/01 cobras intake numbers! GM has had many many years of R&D to make these OHV heads the best they can be for a production car. I cant imagine what Ford could come up with if that had half the amount of time of R&D under there belt with the 4-V Heads.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
The 4-Valve heads on the 00R/GT/GT-500 can easily keep right up with those LS7 heads. They can flow 375+ CFM with a MILD port job, not to mention they flow something ridiculous like 260 CFM at .220 lift, and it just increases from there on out. They can also flow 300+ CFM on the exuhast side with minimal work, thats more then the 99/01 cobras intake numbers! GM has had many many years of R&D to make these OHV heads the best they can be for a production car. I cant imagine what Ford could come up with if that had half the amount of time of R&D under there belt with the 4-V Heads.

are these the same heads on 03-04 cobras? i havent heard of numbers that high. the only thing i seen thats great from ohc multi valve heads is the low lift numbers which greatly supports low end power. good for the street car and good to the race car as well.

and how didnt they spend time on the 4 valves? they been out longer than the Ls1 heads. and the only heads GM made were the Ls1 Ls6 and the LS7. the Ls2 is just Ls6 heads without the lightweight valvetrain components. i'd say they didnt spend anymore time than ford did with its modular program. i'm not 100% sure on this, i'm just goin by what i think is correct. it makes sense to me. Lt1 was used to 96 and those are just reverse cooled small block chevy heads like since the 50's. LS1 finally made the scene in 97 and are completely different. but they had been in the works since the mid earlier 90's. so there is some R&D time. but the cobra came out in 96 with 4 valves right? so it had some R&D time in there

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
rphinney said:
If the GT was capable of more Ford should have brought it right out of the box, that way their "supercar" would have really been super. Instead pushrod N/A V-8's are keeping up with it. Don't go there with the aftermarket stuff, you know the LS7 with a little N2O is going to be plenty capable of keeping pace with a modded GT. So that too is a wash.

HAHAHA, see how long that z06 motor lasts with a LITTLE n20.

The GT motor is VERY downtuned, and begging to be opened up.

You comment about the Gt motor never being the same an an ls7 is pretty stupid. I really hope you're not one of those dipshits who things the Gt has a lightning motor in it. pretty muc hthe ONLY thing they share is the displacement. There was a whole development team that was involved with the Gt motor, and it delivers.

It makes 90-100 more RWHP than a 06Z in stock from...with a 1 hour pulley change makes 640rwhp, and will take it ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. That ls7 will be spitting out gm connecting rods after a few bottles, while the GT is idling smooth as velvet. Sounds pretty good to me.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:
HAHAHA, see how long that z06 motor lasts with a LITTLE n20.

The GT motor is VERY downtuned, and begging to be opened up.

You comment about the Gt motor never being the same an an ls7 is pretty stupid. I really hope you're not one of those dipshits who things the Gt has a lightning motor in it. pretty muc hthe ONLY thing they share is the displacement. There was a whole development team that was involved with the Gt motor, and it delivers.

It makes 90-100 more RWHP than a 06Z in stock from...with a 1 hour pulley change makes 640rwhp, and will take it ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. That ls7 will be spitting out gm connecting rods after a few bottles, while the GT is idling smooth as velvet. Sounds pretty good to me.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hey BmoseleyINC, do you ever have to look at your browers address bar to see if it still says svtperformance, rather than LS1tech? I do... :shrug:

mustangbee

Established Member
"It(ford GT) makes 90-100 more RWHP than a 06Z in stock from"

its funny too...how there performance is nearly idential..i mean, id think the GT would destroy the Z with that kind of advantage...

Last edited:

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
mustangbee said:
"It(ford GT) makes 90-100 more RWHP than a 06Z in stock from"

its funny too...how there performance is nearly idential..i mean, id think the GT would destroy the Z with that kind of advantage...

It practically does. In a quarter mile (I know these aren't straight line cars, just brining this up to prove my point) the GT traps 5-6 mph higher. That is a significant difference in power.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
XCELR8 said:
It practically does. In a quarter mile (I know these aren't straight line cars, just brining this up to prove my point) the GT traps 5-6 mph higher. That is a significant difference in power.

Are you crazy? More like 1-2mph, maybe 3

To bad we'll never see the GT's mighty engine in any real racing to see how it would handle the s/c for extended high rpm duty.

Last edited:

mustangbee

Established Member
XCELR8 said:

quarter mile? well ive seen about 3 reviews comparing the two cars...and i dont see hardly any difference in performance..."the GT traps 5-6mph higher"...that all depends on the testers and drivers..

im sure motortrend will be disregarded since the GT isnt destroying the Z06..but heres what they tested:

Ford GT: 11.6 sec @ 126.2 mph http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0506_blood/index5.html

Z06: 11.5 sec @ 127.1 mph http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0510_corvette/index3.html

not bad for a car that MSRP is 80,000 less than its competition, even if the ford GTs performance wasnt "favorable" conditions...the z06 SHOULD be no were near that type of performance...but it is :nonono: those are the facts.. i also know these arent straight line cars,just brining this up to prove my point ;-) or we can use the ricer arguement..."ill put 80k in my z06 and see what happens" :lol1:

the ford gts high speed is slighty better..they both have their pros and cons..i still dont understand how the vette is even comparable, but oh well..i think its funny when comparing the ford gt and z06...performance mags reviews dont matter unless it shows the ford to be superior...at least on this site

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
mustangbee said:
quarter mile? well ive seen about 3 reviews comparing the two cars...and i dont see hardly any difference in performance..."the GT traps 5-6mph higher"...that all depends on the testers and drivers..

im sure motortrend will be disregarded since the GT isnt destroying the Z06..but heres what they tested:

Ford GT: 11.6 sec @ 126.2 mph http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0506_blood/index5.html

Z06: 11.5 sec @ 127.1 mph http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0510_corvette/index3.html

not bad for a car that MSRP is 80,000 less than its competition, even if the ford GTs performance wasnt "favorable" conditions...the z06 SHOULD be no were near that type of performance...but it is :nonono: those are the facts.. i also know these arent straight line cars,just brining this up to prove my point ;-) or we can use the ricer arguement..."ill put 80k in my z06 and see what happens" :lol1:

the ford gts high speed is slighty better..they both have their pros and cons..i still dont understand how the vette is even comparable, but oh well..i think its funny when comparing the ford gt and z06...performance mags reviews dont matter unless it shows the ford to be superior...at least on this site

For the 2,983,457,029,840,938,409 time, the price difference is because the Corvette is run-of-the-mill and nothing special. At the end of the day, it's just another Corvette. Big deal... The GT isn't something you'll see at every other stop light. Value is all relative, reason being, the Z06 is easily attainable. The GT isn't. Had Ford flooded the market (but they didn't) with GT's they'd be cheaper too. This argument is retarded.

And the fact still remains that the Z06 gets out peformed. I don't care how close in performnace some people on this site think the two are.

Oh, and I'd like to see someone put $80K into a Z06. I'd be willing to be it would still look like any other Corvette and have that pathetic interior for an $70,000 car. This argument is equally as dumb as the previously mentioned. So if someone put $80k into a Civic, and it was faster than a GT, would that make it better?

GTSpartan said:
Are you crazy? More like 1-2mph, maybe 3

To bad we'll never see the GT's mighty engine in any real racing to see how it would handle the s/c for extended high rpm duty.

GT's are already racing. And dominating.

You're concerned about the durability of the GTs engine? :lol1: That engine is built like a brick shit house, putting 530 to the ground on a rediculously modest tune. If anyone should be worried about an engine, it should be the LS7. How much more can they really bore out a CSB? I bet if you dropped a drop light down the cylinder, the block would glow like a Chinese lantern... But you're right... that's a REAL tough engine.

Last edited:

TRXboy

Established Member
mustangbee said:

Good job, Nice Magazine Racing. Now as a true Testiment to how inconsistant and BS Car magazines can be, explain this.

Ford GT 11.2 @ 131.2 Motor Trend

when you can explain that, then you can use Times from Motor trend, or any other magazine for that matter.

mustangbee

Established Member
TRXboy said:
Good job, Nice Magazine Racing. Now as a true Testiment to how inconsistant and BS Car magazines can be, explain this.

when you can explain that, then you can use Times from Motor trend, or any other magazine for that matter.

right, inconsistant. a GT should run faster than a 11.2... explain how a $150,000 msrp car vs a $65,000 msrp car is worth .2 tenths on the quarter mile were a different driver and conditions can easily make the difference...besides "the interior sucks" or "i see corvettes all day" bullshit...i agree the GT is a better overall car, but it just sucks that Ford's precious supercar is rivaled by a run-of-the-mill corvette ;-) in performance...

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
Oh, and I'd like to see someone put $80K into a Z06. I'd be willing to be it would still look like any other Corvette and have that pathetic interior for an $70,000 car. This argument is equally as dumb as the previously mentioned. So if someone put $80k into a Civic, and it was faster than a GT, would that make it better?

i beg to differ... 80K goes ALONG way if you throw that into a interior. you can have the stock seats and door panels custom covered with fine exotic Leathers and materials. same with the rest.. you could custom redo everything from dash to carpet etc... customization of cars is endless and 80K spent on the interior will make it a supercar like ferrari/porsche/etc who have great performance and exotic fine quality well built interiors. and i think the C6 interiors are very nice. alot better than previous generations of the vette

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/index5.html
same magazine tested the viper and GT and the viper went 11.77 at 123.6 while the Gt went 11.78 at 124....

so wtf happened there? inconsistant drivers. these magazine times are bogus.

thats why if your comparing the GT times of 128mph traps to Z06's 123 then it looks like 5mph difference.. but really, Z06's have gone 125-126mph. i havent seen much from ford GT's. ppl saying they hit 128-130mph traps but i aint seen proof. again i havent shown slips from Z06's, i'm just on a few corvette forums and relaying the info. i'll post some slips and threads if you need them and dont believe me they do 125-126mph

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
XCELR8 said:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hey BmoseleyINC, do you ever have to look at your browers address bar to see if it still says svtperformance, rather than LS1tech? I do... :shrug:

**** man, im beginning too. It's getting ridicilous. Im gonan cruise over to the Vette/ls1 boards and start throwing around Gt/Terminator numbers..

Idiots.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
i beg to differ... 80K goes ALONG way if you throw that into a interior. you can have the stock seats and door panels custom covered with fine exotic Leathers and materials. same with the rest.. you could custom redo everything from dash to carpet etc... customization of cars is endless and 80K spent on the interior will make it a supercar like ferrari/porsche/etc who have great performance and exotic fine quality well built interiors. and i think the C6 interiors are very nice. alot better than previous generations of the vette

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/index5.html
same magazine tested the viper and GT and the viper went 11.77 at 123.6 while the Gt went 11.78 at 124....

so wtf happened there? inconsistant drivers. these magazine times are bogus.

thats why if your comparing the GT times of 128mph traps to Z06's 123 then it looks like 5mph difference.. but really, Z06's have gone 125-126mph. i havent seen much from ford GT's. ppl saying they hit 128-130mph traps but i aint seen proof. again i havent shown slips from Z06's, i'm just on a few corvette forums and relaying the info. i'll post some slips and threads if you need them and dont believe me they do 125-126mph

You haven't seen proof? MT compared the enzo vs carrera gt vs ford gt. Enzo 11.0 @ 133mph Porsche carrera GT 11.1 @ 133mph Ford GT 11.2 @ 131mph. GT's have dynoed 550rwhp STOCK, lets not even talk about mod potential and the obvious advantages of a mid-engine car. The Z06 is fast, but the GT is faster; anyone who says otherwise is biased and doesen't know their head from their ass. :burn:

Last edited:

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:
**** man, im beginning too. It's getting ridicilous. Im gonan cruise over to the Vette/ls1 boards and start throwing around Gt/Terminator numbers..

Idiots.

hahaha, it only seems fair! I mean seriously... what do the GM guys expect to hear, here? That the LSX motors are the best damn thing going? :dw: :lol1: Whatever...

You know what though? I bet if we went to LS1tech and did that we'd get banned in seconds! hahaha

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
are these the same heads on 03-04 cobras? i havent heard of numbers that high. the only thing i seen thats great from ohc multi valve heads is the low lift numbers which greatly supports low end power. good for the street car and good to the race car as well.

and how didnt they spend time on the 4 valves? they been out longer than the Ls1 heads. and the only heads GM made were the Ls1 Ls6 and the LS7. the Ls2 is just Ls6 heads without the lightweight valvetrain components. i'd say they didnt spend anymore time than ford did with its modular program. i'm not 100% sure on this, i'm just goin by what i think is correct. it makes sense to me. Lt1 was used to 96 and those are just reverse cooled small block chevy heads like since the 50's. LS1 finally made the scene in 97 and are completely different. but they had been in the works since the mid earlier 90's. so there is some R&D time. but the cobra came out in 96 with 4 valves right? so it had some R&D time in there

I wasnt talking about the specific motors, via the Mod Motors and LS motors. I was talking more about a 2-V OHV head vs a 4-V DOHC. Meaning, GM had been in R&D for OHV heads for a long while, much longer then ford had been in R&D with the 4-V OHC heads.

Users who are viewing this thread