C6 Z06 vs. FGT vs. SRTC. *Edmunds review*

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
oh look, its another test where the ZO6 was faster around the race track than the Ford GT, and was only a tenth slower through the 1/4..

Gee, I think Im beginning to see a patteren here.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Purvis said:
oh look, its another test where the ZO6 was faster around the race track than the Ford GT, and was only a tenth slower through the 1/4..

If you are seeing a pattern, it's one you want to see.

Lap time around willow springs:
Ford GT - 1.32.45
C6 Z06 - 1.33.04

In my book, 1.32.45 is faster than 1.33.04. The driver of all three cars had never been in a GT, and had previous experience tracking the C6, fwiw.

satx

Banned
Purvis said:

go kill yourself :kaboom:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
I see a pattern too...every magazine reports a different time for said car.

Lives people, get some.

mustangbee

Established Member
hell motortrends "new" review of the zo6 tested a 11.5 1/4... not bad for a stocker..ford gt should be faster though

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
satx said:
go kill yourself :kaboom:

No need to get bent out of shape..
Its not that I dislike the GT.. I actually love it.. It my ultimate dream car.
I just find it humerous that some fans of the GT are in denial that the ZO6 is just as fast at a fraction of the cost..

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
Exclusiveness costs money!

Both cars are awsome! Ford and GM have created cars that can run circles around almost everything else. To get something from Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo that has the production numbers that the GT has will cost 100k above the cost of the Ford! All you have to do is show up with the money and you can take your pick. :beer:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Purvis said:
I just find it humerous that some fans of the GT are in denial that the ZO6 is just as fast at a fraction of the cost..

Likewise, I find it humorous most fans of the Z06 are in denial it shares 99.9% of it's DNA with a $44k car they build 30,000+ units a year of (including the fisher price interior that comes with it). That you see ten times a day.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Z06, but it is what it is.

mustangbee

Established Member
DBK said:
Likewise, I find it humorous most fans of the Z06 are in denial it shares 99.9% of it's DNA with a $44k car they build 30,000+ units a year of (including the fisher price interior that comes with it). That you see ten times a day.

99.9%? thats a little steep isnt it? i see the zo6 basically using the shell of a c6 to produce one monster of a car..even the frame is different..anyways, i love the GT, but the vette really brings home the bang for your buck point

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
DBK said:

lol...
It is a fact that the ZO6 has comparable performance to the Ford GT..
It is NOT a fact that the ZO6 "shares 99.9% of its DNA with a $44k car they build 30,000 units a year of"

The ZO6 has a completely different frame and body compisition.. (Not even going to mention the drivetrain :rolleyes: ), You need to re-check your facts...This discounts your statement alone.

There are people out there that dont care about exclusitivity..If rarity is what you are after, than the GT is of course what you seek.. However, one could always find cars with greater rarity than the GT, for alot less money, as well.

The fact remains that the ZO6 offers performance easily on par with the GT, at a fraction of the cost.. This is not an opinion.. It is merely a fact.. :shrug:

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Both cars are great performers. :thumbsup: The Z06 is the best bang for the buck, but it is still, well a Corvette (no offense to Vette owners) ;-) . As others have stated, it is basically a souped up version of a $44K Vette. 99% of the people won't know the difference between the two. Please spare me the cost factor ricer argumentations.
The Ford GT is a true exotic. It is an automotive work of art. How many GTs do you see everyday? The extra $$ for the GT is worth it in looks alone. I would definitely own one if I could. :coolman:

Last edited:

CGoeschel

Established Member
Yes the Corvette has similar performance at half the cost, but what about future value? How about the fact that from a 1/2 mile away the Z06 is still just a vette, 1/4 mile? still a vette, etc...It isnt until you get almost next to it that you can tell it from any other C6 vette. The GT is just more exclusive.....car buffs know what it is right away from any distance....and its resale value or collectibility will be far and away above the new Z06 years down the road. That said, I'd still love to own one of the new Z06's anyway! It's a heck of alot more attainable for most of us. Ford needs to build a two seat sports car a la GR1 for around the same cost as the Z06 and then we'd have some fun.

Formula51

Established Member
CGoeschel said:
Yes the Corvette has similar performance at half the cost, but what about future value? How about the fact that from a 1/2 mile away the Z06 is still just a vette, 1/4 mile? still a vette, etc...It isnt until you get almost next to it that you can tell it from any other C6 vette.

The exact same could be said for the 2003/2004 Mustang Cobra. From 1/2 a mile or a 1/4 mile it is just a Mustang to most people. However, car enthusiasts can spot it in an instant from far away. I am a Corvette enthusiast and I recently saw a new Z on the road. I instantly noticed it was a Z (without question) as it drove through the intersection ahead of me.

The C6 and Z06 are actually preety different looking in person. The flared fender wells is immediately obvious as well as the rear brake duct. The wheels grap the attention next, then the hood scoop and larger front end. The cars are more different then people make them out to be.

DBK: I would say the Z06 shares less than 50% of its DNA with the regular C6. It is a lot harder to list what is the same than what is different. Try it.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Purvis,
Look at it this way: The Z06 is close, but it is still not quite the performer that the GT is, but even if it were (or even if it exceeded the GT's performance), those who prefer the GT would still want it and not the Vette. For example, do the vast majority of Ferrari (or other exotic car) owners intend to supplant their F cars with a Z06 (or even a GT)? No. Why? Because the Ferrari gives them what they want more so than any other car.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Paul Vincent said:
Purvis,
Look at it this way: The Z06 is close, but it is still not quite the performer that the GT is, but even if it were (or even if it exceeded the GT's performance), those who prefer the GT would still want it and not the Vette. For example, do the vast majority of Ferrari (or other exotic car) owners intend to supplant their F cars with a Z06 (or even a GT)? No. Why? Because the Ferrari gives them what they want more so than any other car.

While I believe your point to be true for Ferrari owners I don't see the same for GT buyers. After all Ferrari has over 50 years of dedicated buyers.

Excluding the super affluent and celebrities, I believe there are as many C6 Z06 owners who would consider buying a GT as there are GT owners who would also buy the Corvette. There just isn't enough buyer clientele to suggest that GT owners would be brand biased (example, Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler owners) to exclude all other performance cars. If Ford committed itself to a longer producton run as the Dodge Viper then maybe your statement would prove itself to be true; IMO.

-RR

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
what are you people smoking??? the frame of the Z is nearly identicle to the C, its just made of aluminum rather than steel. dont get me wrong, the Z fricken owns but its still a corvette. its still a vette to enthusiasts, and its DEFINATELY still a vette to the general public. the Z is a great deal and all, an AWESOME deal, but its still the same thing that was on the computer screen when the C6 was designed.
Formula51 said:
The exact same could be said for the 2003/2004 Mustang Cobra. From 1/2 a mile or a 1/4 mile it is just a Mustang to most people. However, car enthusiasts can spot it in an instant from far away. I am a Corvette enthusiast and I recently saw a new Z on the road. I instantly noticed it was a Z (without question) as it drove through the intersection ahead of me.
so whats your point? the stang isnt meant to compete with a ferrari, let alone a vette so that statement adds exactly nothing to this discussion.
roushraven said:
While I believe your point to be true for Ferrari owners I don't see the same for GT buyers. After all Ferrari has over 50 years of dedicated buyers.
oh great, here it goes. the classic "but its a ferrari", or the "ferrari has been doing this for 50 years". its still a car company just like FoMoCo. i dont see why a GT owner cant be as dedicated as a ferrari owner. you must be forgetting that the GT is a status symbol just like ferraris. sure, there are lots of people that buy them for the performance and heritage but most will buy them for the status, like celebs and rich people with nothing better to spend their money on. now the vette can be called a status symbol, but its on a much lower level than the GT and ferraris, and it always will be.

Users who are viewing this thread