C6 Z06 vs. 03 Cobra

Satan's Snake

Established Member
hey guys I need advice

there's a guy that I work with who is 23 lives with his parents and bought a new z06 a couple months back. The problem is he thinks his shit don't stink and says mustangs are "nice if you don't have the money for a vette." I know he's ignorant of his car just by listening to how he talks about it. He told me today he has to get his "traction control brake" fixed. I'm wondering how much rwhp I'd have to make in order to pull him from a roll. I haven't had my car long(6 months) I'm kind of familiar with it but I don't know what the best starting point would be from a roll, 40, 60, what? I can drive pretty good from what I've been told but I haven't had much occassion to push the cobra to its limits. I'm sittin at 412rwhp right now with a JLT CAI, Mac c/b, and Mac o/r h and no tune...what else do I need to take this guy down. I don't need to be 7 or 8 lengths ahead...just enough to put him in is place

Satan's Snake

Established Member
twin screw is a lil bit out of the price range

my driving shouldn't be a problem

I would get an upper pulley and a tune but I was quoted $950 for parts, install, and tune...is that high or just about right

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
well the pulley is like 80 and youll neeed a "pulley removal tool" thats 150 and the tune should be about 400 bucks, so thats at 630. who quoted you almost 1000 dollars for just that?

Satan's Snake

Established Member
I was told I needed the pulley, chip, belt, tensioner/idler and the tune. I was told I needed the idler because of the reduced pulley size and also to help with belt slip...is the shorter belt not enough to compensate for this?

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
what are you going to do once he starts modding it?

Quit while you are ahead.

TS or Spray and High 5XX Rwhp to beat him.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I was told I needed the pulley, chip, belt, tensioner/idler and the tune. I was told I needed the idler because of the reduced pulley size and also to help with belt slip...is the shorter belt not enough to compensate for this?

Yes, If you go with a 2.76 you will need the idler to help increase beltwrap...the shorter belt will still slip...trust me, you will be spinnin' the **** out of your blower...I went from stock around 7.5 pounds to about 12.5-13 pounds of boost, if I were you, I would rent the tool, swap my pulley, and roll nice and easy over to get it tuned...however, I feel you will need more than an upper to beat a newer z06

Satan's Snake

Established Member
what are you going to do once he starts modding it?

Quit while you are ahead.

TS or Spray and High 5XX Rwhp to beat him.

well like I said he was complaining about his "traction control brake"...he mentioned an intake, header, exhaust upgrade he was thinking about but it was 5k and he wasn't sure he wanted to spend that much money or not?...god that's a lot of money for an intake and exhaust if he was quoted that

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
If he can drive that car, then your screwed. I ran an older guy in a stock one and hung at his fender with 460/460hp. I just filmed a race last friday of a few buddys going at it. 08 C6 Z06 vs a Whipple @17psi and supporting mods. The whipple pulled him by about a car.

Bottom line, I say do not run him cause your going to be pissed off with the results. Unless you run out and toss a upper, lower, port fuel mods and a tune its not going to look good for you.

There is a reason those cars get the respect they do, cause they are fast rides.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
If he can drive that car, then your screwed. I ran an older guy in a stock one and hung at his fender with 460/460hp. I just filmed a race last friday of a few buddys going at it. 08 C6 Z06 vs a Whipple @17psi and supporting mods. The whipple pulled him by about a car.

Bottom line, I say do not run him cause your going to be pissed off with the results. Unless you run out and toss a upper, lower, port fuel mods and a tune its not going to look good for you.

There is a reason those cars get the respect they do, cause they are fast rides.

I ran one too the guy must of not knew how to drive because I was right there but liike he said if the owner of the z06 knows how to drive correctly......probably wouldnt race him:rockon:

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Yeah I agree might not want to race him. You could throw a upper/tune on there and give him something to think about. But you will still probably lose if it was a C5 then it would be another story.

That being said even if you lost and it was some what close he might have a lot more respect for your car considering the price differance.

Satan's Snake

Established Member
I'm not really conserned with winning as much as I am straightening him out a bit...I'm gettin the vibe that he doesn't really know exactly what he's doin behind the wheel because of the way he was talking about driving the car with traction control on and not being able to maintain control of it all that well...I'm just really wantin to do what JedWele said and give him something to think about

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I'm not really conserned with winning as much as I am straightening him out a bit...I'm gettin the vibe that he doesn't really know exactly what he's doin behind the wheel because of the way he was talking about driving the car with traction control on and not being able to maintain control of it all that well...I'm just really wantin to do what JedWele said and give him something to think about

Whats the purpose in racing if you dont win? The kid has a big head now, wait till he walks your ass and see how big his head gets. He will have to get a targa top to fit that fat head in the vette.

Just think. You paid $20k for your car, he paid $50k+ Thats over double the cost of a cobra.

(Prices based on assumptions and todays market value)

Satan's Snake

Established Member

I realize they get respect...that's kinda why I'm here...

Users who are viewing this thread