C5Z, Termintor, or ls3 vette?

CobraKid04

Established Member
t8krar.jpg

I have had a terminator and have a GS....given your intentions, I would get the c5z.

Much cheaper to start with than a GS and look killer slammed on some nice rims. Infact, if I could go back in time, I would have considered a c5z when I was looking for a GS.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
If money is not a problem then get whatever you think looks the best. I would take a terminator over those other options because I think it looks better, but that's me.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Honestly if you're goal is to all out mod, I wouldn't choose either of those to start with. You're going to be building engines and drivetrains at 1200 hp anyway.

If it was me I'd start with a regular C5. Find one that's in good shape but has high mileage to save some coin on your initial costs.

My second choice would be an early C6, pre LS3. Again because of the cost savings. In both cases, the vette's are lighter, have better traction and better aerodynamics than the terminator. If you're planning on a big build like it sounds, they're just better platforms to start with.

If you're dead set on the C5z look, you could also consider an FRC.

stangfreak

Established Member
Which would you choose if you planned on keeping the car a long time and wanted to go all out on it? I am talking single or twin turbo, e85 fuel system capable of 1200+ rwhp. Money is not to big of a deal but the more expensive the car is to start off with will just mean it might take a couple more years to get it as fast as the other options.

Maybe some people here could tell me what the pros/cons of a c5z and ls3 vette are as I haven't owned one of those.

I had a terminator until a few weeks ago, had the car for 12 years so am pretty familiar with the pros/cons of the 03/04 cobra.

One of my biggest reasons while I am not set on the Terminator is the stupid piston to wall clearance and not "being" able to go WOT in 5th gear. Not a huge deal but something just feels really stupid about having a built motor and not being able to go wot in 5th because fear of piston failure.

The other downside to the cobra is (I assume, could be way off) you have to do a ton more suspension! At least for what i want the car for. Tubular front, fully built solid axle... Then you get to try and make it hook...

I feel like the c5z would be the best all around bang for the buck and then just dropping a ls3 in it. Or maybe if you are doing turbo the ls6 is just fine, I am not to familiar with ls motors....

In the looks department I feel like Terminator > C5z > Ls3 corvette. I am sure a lot will disagree there but meh...

Which would you get and why?

why does the piston to wall clearance bother you if your aiming for high hp turbo e85 and every single bolt on you can buy? You think you will make that with the stock motor? You need a built block with what you want to do. so that wont be an issue anymore. All the cars mentioned will need a built motor. 1200rwhp fuel system im assuming you want big hp.

all of these cars can go fast as well. The vettes have the advantage of having more cubic inches. I would pick a c6z06 second would be terminator.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
One of my biggest reasons while I am not set on the Terminator is the stupid piston to wall clearance and not "being" able to go WOT in 5th gear. Not a huge deal but something just feels really stupid about having a built motor and not being able to go wot in 5th because fear of piston failure.

The factory motor is not "built" in a sense, its factory forged for the most part but it still has its limits out of the box. But if you have a "built" terminator motor, you should be addressing the close PTW clearance in the parts selected for the build. Its a simple remedy. Also, the PTW issues are only apparent in those running lean tunes with high heat boost makers, exacerbating the issue with their EGT's. Theres guys that run more efficient boost makers and richen up the AFR and road race with no issues on the stock motors. Then theres guys that throw the most aggressive pulley swap on a heaton and 12.5:1 afr on their tune and wonder why their pistons take out their walls after a few back to back WOT romps.

If your goals are 1200whp, some big ****ing snails will be far more efficient, you will move more air at less boost if properly sized, which will definitely help keep your charge temps down. E85 and a better set of pistons properly sized for you wanting to stretch those gears out on the freeway will yield maximum results with both power and longevity.

UOP Shadow

Established Member
If you're planning on keeping it a long time & a family is in that future, the choice is clear: Mustang. If money is no object, why not start with a 13/14 GT500? That puts you so far ahead in the bhp wars compared to the others.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Totally open ended question.

If you want 1200hp, then find a drag car roller and build a motor for it. My vote goes to a fox body.

But we dont really know what you want to do with the car...Out of your choices, I love the C6:GS, but wound up with another terminator recently.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Let me help you with the vettes.

Pros/cons...

C5 Z
Pros:
- isnt "dime a dozen"
- handles better
- "race car" feel with the FRC
- faster out of the box
- cheaper to get into

Cons:
- cheap interior (I love it though)
- somewhat weak transmission in the 01/02 models
- headlight motors suck and tge column lock recall...
- theres a relay under the steering wheel that is known to go bad often

C6
Pros:
- way nicer interior
- smoother ride
- more comfort features
- bigger engine
- automatic transmission option (huge win for drag racing them)

Cons:
- Very common
- doesnt handle as well
- parts tend to be a tad more expensive
- higher price to purchase

Last edited:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I've had two '03 cobras and a c6z, if I was in your situation I would choose an ls3 c6 and put the z06 widebody fenders on. Then of course built motor, forced induction, e85, etc. Reason I say this is the c6 platform is way more efficient and stable at high speeds than a cobra, and at least to me, it is a lot more fun to drive due to how light and nimble they feel. I also wouldn't choose a c5 anything if a c6 is an option, interiors are much nicer. Good luck either way!

Users who are viewing this thread