C5Z, Termintor, or ls3 vette?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Which would you choose if you planned on keeping the car a long time and wanted to go all out on it? I am talking single or twin turbo, e85 fuel system capable of 1200+ rwhp. Money is not to big of a deal but the more expensive the car is to start off with will just mean it might take a couple more years to get it as fast as the other options.

Maybe some people here could tell me what the pros/cons of a c5z and ls3 vette are as I haven't owned one of those.

I had a terminator until a few weeks ago, had the car for 12 years so am pretty familiar with the pros/cons of the 03/04 cobra.

One of my biggest reasons while I am not set on the Terminator is the stupid piston to wall clearance and not "being" able to go WOT in 5th gear. Not a huge deal but something just feels really stupid about having a built motor and not being able to go wot in 5th because fear of piston failure.

The other downside to the cobra is (I assume, could be way off) you have to do a ton more suspension! At least for what i want the car for. Tubular front, fully built solid axle... Then you get to try and make it hook...

I feel like the c5z would be the best all around bang for the buck and then just dropping a ls3 in it. Or maybe if you are doing turbo the ls6 is just fine, I am not to familiar with ls motors....

In the looks department I feel like Terminator > C5z > Ls3 corvette. I am sure a lot will disagree there but meh...

Which would you get and why?

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Probably the '03 Cobra. The Vettes are nice but I think the rule of thumb is C6 or newer for the ZO6

03cobrarocks

Established Member
why cant you go wide open throttle in 5th?

The piston to wall clearance. I am not sure why but I guess it only happens in 5th and 6th gear to were you have to worry about it.

Plenty of people have messed up their motor doing 5th gear runs sadly

mjs1012

Established Member
c5z. Its cheaper to start and could easily be made fast. I'm a little biased tho because I really want one lol.

Last edited:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
c5z. Its cheaper to start and could easily be made fast. I'm a little biased tho because I really want one lol.

Kind of what I am leaning towards, not much looks better than a lowered c5z on ccw or true forged wheels.

I mean seriously!

Blue corvette.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

whitez 033.jpg

brandon_s0854

Established Member
Hate to say it, think I'd go the ls3 route if I was going all out. Lighter and more displacement ftw, also like the looks better than the c5z. If budget were a concern, I'd say terminator.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Theyre all solid choices. you cant go wrong with whatever you pick. Its a tie for me. They all have their pros and cons and theyre all about equal in my books.

SBVERT03

Established Member
Well this is SVTP, and I am a Cobro, so.... Terminator!!!

Lol but seriously, that is a good question. What are ls3 C6's going for now a days? I know I've seen some great deals on C5Z's lately. I'm guessing as more and more people move up to the C7's the prices on both models will continue to decrease.

If it's something that you truly plan on keeping for a long time and there isn't going to be a huge difference in overall cost, then I would lean towards whatever you like the looks and feel of the best.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Well this is SVTP, and I am a Cobro, so.... Terminator!!!

Lol but seriously, that is a good question. What are ls3 C6's going for now a days? I know I've seen some great deals on C5Z's lately. I'm guessing as more and more people move up to the C7's the prices on both models will continue to decrease.

If it's something that you truly plan on keeping for a long time and there isn't going to be a huge difference in overall cost, then I would lean towards whatever you like the looks and feel of the best.

Well Terminator has, and always will, have a special place in my heart (lol). I was the first owner of mine and had it since I was 15, managed to keep it all in one piece that whole time some how. I do really love the car but some of the cons behind it just really bothered me.

I love the way mine was setup, if you look at my sig really all it needed was a beefier transmission and turbo kit and it would have been done, not sure if I can start from square one with a terminator again after all those years with that one. Maybe I could find one already turbo.....

If I was to get the ls3 it would probably take me a couple more years to buy it, as most of them still go for a pretty penny compared to the other two. The cheapest I have seen a decent one go for was a 2008 with 59k miles for 28.5k and that seems to be a steal for what it was!

The Grand Sports (which I really like for the wide body rear) are out of the question for me for a few years lol. When you start looking at those seems like you might as well get a 2008 z06 or something. Which I would get but man that motor is probably ridiculously expensive to build for a turbo setup or rebuild.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
You owner a Terminator for 12yrs, sold it two weeks ago and are looking to possibly buy another???

It is a very shitty situation....

Basically the wife and I got a house a few months back. A/C had to be redone and a bunch of other little crap. I got rid of my car because it was the financially responsible thing to do...

Literally 3 weeks after I sell it (it was first weekend of May I think that I sold it) I get a pay raise and a bonus which was more than enough to cover a/c repairs so I could have kept the car.... sigh /wrists

O well I guess everything happens for a reason.

It will be a few months before I get anything just trying to figure out if Terminator is the right choose or if I should try something else out. Can pick up a big blower or turbo Terminator for a steal it seems like these days...

MPM IV

Established Member
20140421_1953361_zps60ede439.jpg

If you're going all out, looks, weight and price would be my main deciding factors. Motor, brakes, drivetrain, etc. don't matter because all out means they will be changed anyway.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
You bought a new cobra at 15?

I was lucky/fortunate enough that my parents got it for me. My high school was a crazy place with more trans am, camaro ss, and corvettes than I would like to admit.

My brother got a 07 c6 vette as his first car new. I would try and snag it from him because it only has 26k miles but meh it's not the color I really want and it is an ls2.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The C6 is going to be much nicer than a C5Z or a terminator. I have owned the latter two and if I didn't need rear seats, would have traded up for a C6 grand sport. I do agree with you on looks, the C5Z and Terminator both look killer, regular C6, not so much, very plain. That is why I would consider a GS, you get wider wheels and the front/rear fenders, fascia of the C6Z. The deals are definitely out there, the baby boomers are all trading in their C6s for C7s...You can probably scoop an 08 and up model without having to look for too long...

03cobrarocks

Established Member
The C6 is going to be much nicer than a C5Z or a terminator. I have owned the latter two and if I didn't need rear seats, would have traded up for a C6 grand sport. I do agree with you on looks, the C5Z and Terminator both look killer, regular C6, not so much, very plain. That is why I would consider a GS, you get wider wheels and the front/rear fenders, fascia of the C6Z. The deals are definitely out there, the baby boomers are all trading in their C6s for C7s...You can probably scoop an 08 and up model without having to look for too long...

Ah yes white grand sports are beautiful cars! The other colors are nice as well..

The best thing about the GS is the ls3 /drool because I would only have to build the motor and not completely get a new one compared to the other two options.

after having the cobra a low compression 4.6 or even stroked 4.6 just isn't enough displacement/power for me. if I had to do it again I would have at least got 10:1 compression since I ran e85 almost exclusively.

Users who are viewing this thread