c-head swap

97svtman

Established Member
I want to do the c-head swap but what longtubes do i order the 96-98 or 99-04 and if i do the cam covers from the c-heads will my plugs and wires fit or does it requie the cop's

BajaBoy

Established Member
I want to do the c-head swap but what longtubes do i order the 96-98 or 99-04 and if i do the cam covers from the c-heads will my plugs and wires fit or does it requie the cop's

Match the headers to which ever head you go with. 03/04 have a bigger port then 99/01.

You can use COP cam covers and still use your wires.

97svtman

Established Member
so I found a set of 99 cobra heads are they c-heads and are they different than the 03/04 cobra or mach heads.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
yes the 99 are different. You may consider getting them ported a bit, you can get them just as good or better and not have to pony up the extra cash the terminator heads normally cost.

I just went this route, now I am trying out if I want to do a shortrunner and cams as well or wait till I get a centri or turbo. Lots of options

Last edited:

97svtman

Established Member
the guy at a local shop said there is no difference in the ports just the comb. chamber he also said if i port them ill regret it b/c ill loose torque since im n/a. but I want to clean them up new springs,valves everything. he wants 800 for the pair or 1300 for the longblock it had a supercharger installed went for a test drive and had rod knock.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
The plug wires will fit on COP valve covers...but not nicely..the rubber boot will rub against on the edge..so just make sure it is pushed down all the way.

I would just pick up a set of normal 03/04 heads...they have have a smaller chamber [~2cc] so it will help raise compression as well. A set of untouched 03/04 heads will typically flow the same as ported/polished 99/01 heads [from what I have heard]

If you have any other questions or concerns about swapping to c-heads...I have a 'how to' thread in my signature that should cover most of everything.

edit: Forgot I took it out of my sig..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-278/703051-c-head-swap.html

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I have heard the opposite, ported polished 99-01 heads will out flow stock 03-04 heads,a svt what's the verdict as you always know.

97svtman

Established Member
I will use my current valve covers and ignition. I to have heard the 99/01's with work will flow better and they are the only ones for sale right now I thought the 03/04's had lower cr b/c of supercharger thats not that big of deal the 01 heads will work fine for what im doing can i just by the 01 crossover b/c no one can tell me exactly how to weld the bung and how about the alt. bracket does my 97 fit.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I will use my current valve covers and ignition. I to have heard the 99/01's with work will flow better and they are the only ones for sale right now I thought the 03/04's had lower cr b/c of supercharger thats not that big of deal the 01 heads will work fine for what im doing can i just by the 01 crossover b/c no one can tell me exactly how to weld the bung and how about the alt. bracket does my 97 fit.

You need an alternator bracket from 99/01

Also 03/04 Cobras have a lower compression ratio because of the dished pistons. However the head themselves have a smaller CC chamber [I believe 52 to the 54 that the 99/01s have]

99/01 can be polished to outflow untouched 03/04.

97svtman

Established Member
perfect well ill pick up the bracket and a spare crossover so i can go ahead and weld the bung and have it ready ill probably stay with the 01 heads unless used 03 heads show up. where do i weld the bung at and is that all it is on the 96-98 crossover and the timing cover swaps as long as i use my stock ignition correct.

97svtman

Established Member
Its hard to figure out what everyone is saying in there lol so much info i can get the 01 heads and port and polish them if needed but i cant seem to understand if im going to suffer low-mid range torque with them p/p or leave them stock and just clean them up or not get them I will be n/a I read in there it was the cams that made the difference.

MLS

Established Member
I wouldnt go back to that shop. A proper machine shop would understand how to do a street port and polish to keep the port velocity high.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
the guy at a local shop said there is no difference in the ports just the comb. chamber he also said if i port them ill regret it b/c ill loose torque since im n/a... he wants 800 for the pair or 1300 for the longblock it had a supercharger installed went for a test drive and had rod knock.

03/04 heads are different, they 03/04s have larger exhaust ports and their intake runners are higher flowing. The 03/04 combustion chambers are also 2cc smaller than the 99/01s.

You will not lose torque from a mild port job, in fact you will pick up some power from idle to redline if the work is done correctly.

Unless they are ready to install $800 for a pair of 99/01 or 03/04 heads is outrageous. $400-$500 is the norm for a set that need a valve job.

Any long tubes will fit any heads. Buy those that are made for the car, not the head.

99/01 heads can be ported to outflow stock 03/04 heads but they will always make less power...flow isn't everything.

The 99/01 heads are fine and don't require porting to make decent power. Just have the valve seat IDs enlarged and the exhaust port cleaned up, they'll be fine.

COP valve covers with wires looks like @ss.

Jarad302

Established Member
just figured id jump in here instead of starting a new thread about a similar topic i have a set of 03 aviator heads same as 03/04 heads and an 99-01 lower with mach 1 lid anyway i wanna get longtubes to add when i do the swap my question is who has a 96-98 with a c head swap and longtubes that dont interfier with pulling out the transmission?

97svtman

Established Member
what valve cover gaskets do I buy ones to fit the heads or the valve covers or does it matter

97svtman

Established Member
Im looking to get the most out of this c-swap so Im doing the 03/04 heads better deal than the 01's, 01 intake, C&L Cai, UD pulleys, long tubes offroad h, not sure what cams yet want a little bit of low and mid range torque any other suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread