C & Ds Winner 2016 Lightning Lap

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
At least do some research on the track.

The Z28 ran on VIR like 8 months after it was repaved.

The track opened up a $2m lawsuit in February of this year due to how poorly the track had deteriorated and they started work last month.

The C&D lightning lap was held in June.

The Z28 had a far superior track to run on, if you want to go there. The track was bad enough that they had to repave it during peak season.

Also, you can't be so hypocritical. Remember when the S550 nosed out the 1LE at Motown?

Yeah.. Me neither..

If the track was in fact in better shape back in late 2014 vs earlier this year, you would have a point there. Nevertheless, you are missing my point entirely. Im not one of the guys that says that the 350R "walks away" from the Z28 or viceversa. The two cars make for some tight competition. My post was intended to point out the irony in that, had the roles been reversed and the z28 was on the losing end of this comparo, the Ford fanboys, would not shut up about this data.

Also, of course I remember the "0.02" margin of victory on the s550's favor. Funny how a couple of fanboys tried to use that data and I did not see you point out the flaw in it. The irony.

There is no doubt that same track, same day, same driver testing is the way to go when comparing vehicles. If given the chance to pick between a z28 and a 350R, I would take the Ford all day, every day.

Btw, both the z28 and 350R were driven by Tony Quiroga.

Last edited:

silver srt 8

Established Member
Take the test w/a grain of salt. Just an opinion like any other, but all things being equal the 350R would be the better track car. I liked the Charger Hellcat times as well.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If the track was in fact in better shape back in late 2014 vs earlier this year, you would have a point there. Nevertheless, you are missing my point entirely. Im not one of the guys that says that the 350R "walks away" from the Z28 or viceversa. The two cars make for some tight competition. My post was intended to point out the irony in that, had the roles been reversed and the z28 was on the losing end of this comparo, the Ford fanboys, would not shut up about this data.

Also, of course I remember the "0.02" margin of victory on the s550's favor. Funny how a couple of fanboys tried to use that data and I did not see you point out the flaw in it. The irony.

There is no doubt that same track, same day, same driver testing is the way to go when comparing vehicles. If given the chance to pick between a z28 and a 350R, I would take the Ford all day, every day.

Btw, both the z28 and 350R were driven by Tony Quiroga.

I wasn't about to bump a 2 year old thread to point out the flaw in their data.

And my issue with different track-different driver tests is more recent. Back then I wouldn't have seen an issue with it, I have a lot more on track experience now than I did before. That's my issue with it.

And good find on the driver for the Z28, the articles I read didn't mention the driver but I was able to find a video after I googled his name.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
And my issue with different track-different driver tests is more recent. Back then I wouldn't have seen an issue with it, I have a lot more on track experience now than I did before. That's my issue with it.

And good find on the driver for the Z28, the articles I read didn't mention the driver but I was able to find a video after I googled his name.

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with getting wiser and more experienced. :beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
You can tell that the drivers were not able to utilize the full capabilities of all the cars in the test.

Generally speaking, the faster the car, the bigger the balls it takes to get maximum performance.

Exactly. Anderson ran a stock 15 mustang gt at 52 as I timed a 991 gt3 and c7 z06 running 58 and 57 respectively at sears point. Drivers make a world of difference.

No kidding, Lightning Lap is a shill, using different drivers with different skill levels, repaving of the track and widening of the corners. :nonono:

I would use Laguna Seca as more of a reference. Same pro driver (Randy for the most part) and no repaving or widening!!!

A Viper ACR returned to Laguna Seca (after setting the 1:28 time > using a truck full of kumho tires to do it) and set 1:30
The C7Z was able to do 1:33

@ VIR the Camaro Z28 is supposedly 1 sec behind a Viper TA
@ Laguna Seca the Z28 is almost 4 seconds BEHIND a Viper TA

Truth.

VIR is a much longer track with much longer straights. Laguna Seca only has 1 straight that's only like a half mile, if that. LS favors cornering grip. VIR favors cornering grip AND power.

No it's not. If that was the case the act would have destroyed everything. It did not based on the driver not based on the track. I believe it was cd who stated that the pro driver hit a corner at 20+ mph faster than he could in the acr. 20mph faster is a hell of a difference in exit speeds and track time.

The new 1le is still 2 seconds behind the old z28 on a 2 min track as stated by gm. Which makes it similar to the gt350tp. Still way behind that of the gt350r.

Users who are viewing this thread