Buzzin sound through Stereo problem

cotchnobra

Established Member
the noise filters work but they dont eliminate the noise completely they just reduce it. first try switching the ground to a better place with completely bare metal. that way you have less crap behind the stereo and a true fix.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Large pic warning...

Radio interference capacitors

See the little clips with a wire harness going to the bottom rear of the valve covers? Make sure that they are plugged in or not damaged. Without them, you will have engine noise in the radio.

img6717n.jpg

toomanytoys

Established Member
Sounds like you have created yourself a ground loop. You need to check and move the grounds around until you find the culprit. Sometimes eliminating a ground wire or just moving it a little will do it. Good luck

slickblack

Established Member
I know this thread is a few years old, but I'm having the same problem. My driver's door speaker makes a humming buzzing type noise that fluctuates with RPM's. It doesn't matter if I adjust the fader or balance either. The stereo is completely stock and the hood carpet is still there too. At low speeds it gets very annoying. I hear the noise about 70% of the time now at low speeds and while coming to a stop, although at freeway speeds or top down driving I can't.
I searched and found a few questions about this but no real answer. :cryying:
Please help!!!
Thanks.
Jay

alexgg2

Established Member
My stereo in my 04 Cobra did the same thing out of no where. I have an aftermarket double DIN navigation system though but threw factory radio back in and it still made noise. Noise only when car was running and when in 6th gear (55+mph) it made no noise. At times it just wouldn't make noise either. If I turned on AC it would become louder. What I did was buy two Pyramid in-line 35 amp noise suppressor filters and installed one to each power wire going to radio. This stopped the noise completely and it was whining loud before. They are kind of bulky but I stuffed them underneath radio and they fit. My alternator just went out 2 days ago, I'm going to get it rebuilt this Monday to 200 amps at 1200 rpms and 105 amps at idle. Alternator was only putting out 8 volts. I believe the alternator was going bad which is what led to the noise in the speakers. This might explain why at in 6th gear it wasn't making any noise because at highway speeds the alternators produce more amps & slightly more volts.

It could be an alternator thats going bad, bad ground, bad radio or exposed wire somewhere. If its the alternator it is a pain in the a** to get out. Once i get alternator rebuilt im going to remove noise filters to see if it makes noise. If it doesn't that means the alternator was making the noise.

svtperfsignature.jpg

slickblack

Established Member
After reading everything I could find on this site and the internet, I saw that someone said there were some connections on the driver's side under the door speaker area and they can come loose. A suggestion was made to push or give a light kick in that area to see if that affects anything and if it does, then you could pull the sill plate and side cover by the hood release off and check that connection. 3 days ago the buzzing started and I gave it a few taps with my foot and it stopped. The next 3 days I drove with no noise. Today the noise was there again so again another tap and it went away. If that's all it takes to make it better, then I'm ok with it. If it gets worse or the tap won't fix it, then I guess I will remove some panels and see whats going on in there.
Thanks for everyones advice.
Jay

alexgg2

Established Member
My stereo in my 04 Cobra did the same thing out of no where. I have an aftermarket double DIN navigation system though but threw factory radio back in and it still made noise. Noise only when car was running and when in 6th gear (55+mph) it made no noise. At times it just wouldn't make noise either. If I turned on AC it would become louder. What I did was buy two Pyramid in-line 35 amp noise suppressor filters and installed one to each power wire going to radio. This stopped the noise completely and it was whining loud before. They are kind of bulky but I stuffed them underneath radio and they fit. My alternator just went out 2 days ago, I'm going to get it rebuilt this Monday to 200 amps at 1200 rpms and 105 amps at idle. Alternator was only putting out 8 volts. I believe the alternator was going bad which is what led to the noise in the speakers. This might explain why at in 6th gear it wasn't making any noise because at highway speeds the alternators produce more amps & slightly more volts.

It could be an alternator thats going bad, bad ground, bad radio or exposed wire somewhere. If its the alternator it is a pain in the a** to get out. Once i get alternator rebuilt im going to remove noise filters to see if it makes noise. If it doesn't that means the alternator was making the noise.

svtperfsignature.jpg

I just got my alternator back today from being rebuilt to a 200 Amp and engine runs alot smoother, revs up much faster, sounds better too and what surprised me is that the noise in speakers disappeared completely. It was a bad alternator making the noise in my speakers the entire time.

Users who are viewing this thread