buying a new enclosed car trailer...suggestions

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
guys I'm buying a 20 ft enclosed car trailer and I'm wondering what things you would be recommended for it?

This will not be used solely for the viper, I have a 67 pontiac I've been working on, 4 wheelers, and I'm sure various other applications.

I'm thinking a winch would be a worth while addition, haven't decided how I would install it with battery etc.

figured I'd ask here since it doesn't really pertain to any other forums that I can think of.
I will likely use it for track days etc. :shrug:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My advice is get a bigger trailer trust me.. 20ft is nothing and you will outgrow it very quickly. I would say no smaller than a 26ft.. We had a 24ft and my Mustang could squeeze in there with a workbench..

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
My advice is get a bigger trailer trust me.. 20ft is nothing and you will outgrow it very quickly. I would say no smaller than a 26ft.. We had a 24ft and my Mustang could squeeze in there with a workbench..

trying to stay plenty small enough for my half ton truck. I have a shop for major repairs. I also have a 42ft fifth wheel if I want to get stupid, it's just a pain to use it for anything but long day's at the track.

also, the 20ft is inside space, not to tongue.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
OOHHH 20ft inside space gotcha.. Yea that should be good. Plus you have a bigger trailer. I would get a winch it makes it super easy to load a car and then you don't have to crawl in and out of it.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
OOHHH 20ft inside space gotcha.. Yea that should be good. Plus you have a bigger trailer. I would get a winch it makes it super easy to load a car and then you don't have to crawl in and out of it.

how many pound winch should I be looking for? :shrug: if they are only doing cars that weight less than 4k lbs, I would think since it's not lifting anything more is overkill yes? :shrug:

MGC

Established Member
I have a 24ft enclosed, has an electric package so all I have to do is plug in my generator and fire it up and I have elctric for tools, or a fan etc. Also got a awning for when I'm at the race track and the sun is beating down on you. I like it alot. Added a tire rack for rain tires too. I'd like to add a winch also just not sure how I would do it, perhaps anchor to the floor and attach the battery near the hitch and run the wires to it...?

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
depends what you would use it all for. mine is multi purpose. it gets cars. tractors, lawn mowers, and a bunch of other stuff. I have a 24ft freedom 2007 and its been great for me.
IMAG0265.gif

I also have a 18ft open trailer by proline.. I love that freakin thing. has a tilt deck, winch and is a full deck trailer.

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

Last edited:

straightliner1

Established Member
Be sure to get the 48" RV-style door. That stupid handle and bail thing is a PITA. I also recommend a 24' minumum box. I had trouble finding enough rom to strap the cars down in front. On that note, get E-track, not just the lame 4 D-rings. I really liked my Haulmark Race Trailer.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I recommend a 24 foot Featherlite V-nose. A 1/2 truck can handle it without much issue, and it will likely weigh less than a competitor's 20 foot trailer.

oldmodman

Established Member
Unless you weigh 98 pounds you might want to do what I did.

Order it with an extra door on the left side of the trailer. Big enough so that when you drive your car into the trailer you can open the car door all the way into the space made by the big extra door on the left side you ordered special. Then you can easily get out of your car, step out through the left side door, shut the car door, then the trailer door. Without taking the chance of scraping your cars door.

Users who are viewing this thread