Buying a low mileage cobra

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I find that a lot of lower mileage cobras are pretty well taken care of. You can tell from talking to the person if they are a "car guy" or not. Us Car Guys take care of their stuff.

97StangSVT

Established Member
I am looking at a 04 cobra coupe with 3,800 miles. Owner says he has changed the oil every year and started the car regularly but obviously has not driven it much. The car looks mint as it has always sat in a garage.

I know that anything thats sits with out use can create issues.. What should I look for? Should I be worried about dried up seals or long term effects? What do you think is a fair price for a mint unmolested cobra today?

Thank you in advance, I am looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of a cobra after selling my 97 about two years ago. :beer:

OP, congrats on finding a low mile Terminator! Torch Red is a great color! I just bought an 04 black coupe with the dark inserts, it had 3680 miles on it. The seller was cool and answered every question I had. I looked over it closely. He had a lift in his garage and put it up. I walked around under it and examined everything. He had all the paperwork, window sticker, SVT certificate, invoices, etc. I would say a fair price is $24-28k. One minor thing to look for is to see if the Accelerator Pedal Shield safety recall had been done. It wasn't done on mine. Below is copied from a previous post by CobraBob. CobraBob also has a great site for Terminators as well.

Terminator FAQs

Make : FORD Model : MUSTANG Year : 2003
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V108000 Recall Date : APR 03, 2006
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 19140
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MUSTANG COBRA PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE REAR SURFACE OF THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY COME INTO CONTACT WITH FLOOR CARPETING DURING HEAVY THROTTLE APPLICATION. THE UNIQUE SURFACE PROFILE OF THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY CATCH IN THE CUTOUT ON THE FLOOR CARPETING BEHIND THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL.
Consequence:
THIS COULD INTERFERE WITH THE PEDAL'S ABILITY TO RETURN TO AN IDLE POSITION. UNEXPECTED, CONTINUED THROTTLE APPLICATION AND/OR INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A SHIELD OVER THE CUTOUT IN THE CARPET BEHIND THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON APRIL 26, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.
Notes:
FORD RECALL NO. 06S43. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/696009-gas-pedal-mod.html

allgo90

Established Member
Made the trip down to Tennessee over the weekend and picked up the car. The car is mint but I am going to change all of the fluids and have the recall done this week. I'll post some better pictures soon.
26944095a0123d83704542cfca475263.jpg

oneof185

Established Member
Nice! Congrats man. I put mine on a uhaul too, kinda sucked getting it up and off, worried about the bumper. I used 2x6 and still had a hard time. Gotta be a good feeling to load up basically a brand new car that is exactly what you've wanted.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
very nice, congrats! I was close to miami when I picked up my MC. Hauled it back to NC on a uHaul too.

enjoy your new ride!

allgo90

Established Member
It was definitely a hassle to get the car up and off the trailer, it's a good thing the car is not lowered. Nevertheless, with enough wood the car did not get a scratch and it was much better than driving it 1200 miles.

GTpower01

Established Member
i just bought mine with 1800 miles black coupe for 27500.... Works like a charm! Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread