Buying a low mileage cobra

allgo90

Established Member
I am looking at a 04 cobra coupe with 3,800 miles. Owner says he has changed the oil every year and started the car regularly but obviously has not driven it much. The car looks mint as it has always sat in a garage.

I know that anything thats sits with out use can create issues.. What should I look for? Should I be worried about dried up seals or long term effects? What do you think is a fair price for a mint unmolested cobra today?

Thank you in advance, I am looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of a cobra after selling my 97 about two years ago. :beer:

allgo90

Established Member
I am going to have the car inspected by a Ford dealer and have a compression test done. The car is stock down to the original tires and battery apparently. Anything in particular i should look for?

Sitnlopro99gt

Established Member
I would think thats your best bet. Ultimately looking for signs of things that may appear to be ok when they should be replaced. In honesty though I bought mine with 5000 miles and I looked it over for anything. It was well taken care of and I have never had any issues, other than reg maintenance.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
I would think thats your best bet. Ultimately looking for signs of things that may appear to be ok when they should be replaced. In honesty though I bought mine with 5000 miles and I looked it over for anything. It was well taken care of and I have never had any issues, other than reg maintenance.

Pretty much. I would check the bushings and suspension parts. Also might want to test the alternator out as well. The only thing I replaced was my alternator. The few other things I replaced were my own fault(wheel bearings went bad due to spacer interference). Good luck and if the car is clean then you will most likely be fine. :beer:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
sounds like a killer find! you are gonna absolutely love it coming from a sn95 cobra. personally I think that it is probably in great shape for the most part, even being in storage for all these years. best of luck with it and enjoy! :beer:

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
Great find man, my car only gets driven about 1,500 miles a year or so it sits a lot. I start it regularly in the Winter time, but it gets driven a couple times a week in the Spring/Summer. I have never had any issues with leaks or anything like that, just regular maintenance. I'm sure a car like that would bring somewhere from 22K-25K depending on how bad they want to sell it, I would snatch it up if I were you

allgo90

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. The car is a Torch Red coupe with dark insert seats. That is the exact combo i have been searching for. I will update this with some pictures tomorrow.

StreetSnake

Established Member
I wouldnt think twice about the seals etc, the material they're made with nowadays seem to be bullet proof when it comes to age. Good luck with it...:beer:

Mike681

Established Member
Sounds like a sweet ride man!

Agree with the fellas recommending a compression test, but I would also recommend a leak down test as well to cover all your bases. Hope it works out!

oneof185

Established Member
I'd say around 28K or so. However, you say it's exactly what you've been looking for, so at the end of the day, maybe more to you. I personally wouldn't have an issue paying a couple more for one I wanted, especially being that a 3800 mile car isn't readily availabe, especially in a color combo you want vs. settling for a different color.

dom418

Established Member
Bought my car with 2700 miles last sept with no issues other than the AC needing a recharge.

Oh and that car should easily bring $28k, not easy to find with those miles

Jlt1776

Established Member
I just got mine in may with 5062 miles and perfect I mean I can't find any thing that doesn't look brand new the original owner was as OCD as I am .I paid 26k for mine and bought it site unseen, black 2004 with dark charcoal seats, if its got that low mileage I think you have got a great car to start to play with enjoy

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good for you, Jason, on finding such a low mileage Terminator. Hope everything works out for you.

Black306

Established Member
Change ALL the fluids. Many cars that just sit sometimes don't get all the fluids changed. Only one I might skip would be the diff. Brake fluid, coolant (engine and intercooler), power steering, and transmission should be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread