Buying a F250 V10. I have some ???

03SVTBEAST

PRICELESS
Established Member
My brother is looking at a couple of different F250 V10s and I really don't know much about them. I was hoping some of you all could give me some pros and cons about them or have had any good or bad personal experiences with them. Any help would be appreciated as this is his first truck. Any help is greatly appreciated!:beer:

03SVTBEAST

PRICELESS
Established Member
Hahaha. Yea thats what I have heard, but other then that is that the only negative? Gas really isn't a concern bc my family owns a gas station!

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
What year? Some earlier ones have issues with coils. As a diesel owner, really don't understand why someone would intentionally buy the V10. I get 18/19mpg on the highway (16mpg in town), and at worse have hit 13mpg pulling a loaded trailer.

Edit: Don't say cost is a deciding factor/ Price out parts for the V10 not cheap from what I remember.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Just sold mine. Was a great truck. Check oil pan for leaks

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
There used to be a good article on the SVTP home page that I believe SID had posted.
It compared the V10 and the Diesel engines.

03SVTBEAST

PRICELESS
Established Member
We don't sell diesel at out store. Its a small gas station and our whole family gets "free" gas. My parents don't want to have to shell out money for diesel when he can just fill up for free at the store. Trust me I want a diesel bad but when I can get free gas, really doesn't make sense for us.

I really do appreciate everyones input.

bodge323

Established Member
Nothing is free. I would price out Diesel vs. what that free gas actually cost and go from there.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Exhaust studs in the head tend to break, not a horrible fix as the studs usually come out fairly easy.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Nothing is free. I would price out Diesel vs. what that free gas actually cost and go from there.

This. Is paying for diesel really going to break the bank for a better truck? What is the intended use for this truck?

Friend had one and pulling a 2000lb car got a whopping 4.3mpg. :lol1:

Unless it is just going to be a brodozer or strictly in town light work truck I would push for the diesel. If going gasser, just get an F-150 that will cost a lot less in the long run.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I pulled 7000lbs regularly and got 8 mpg. Your friend must be driving up hill only.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I wrote a couple articles on the V10 vs. Diesel debate. Check them out:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rmance-fueling-fire-gas-vs-diesel-debate.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...re-power-ground-than-power-stroke-diesel.html

So as not to be called biased, here is the SVTP F-350:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...roducing-svtperformance-f-350-super-duty.html

IMO, unless you tow heavy and tow often a modern diesel truck is a waste of money and a maintenance liability. I believe stock for stock ford has yet to build a new emissions diesel engine that is more reliable and the 3V V10. Ford recognizes the valve of the V10 as an option to commercial customers by still offering it in the F-450 and F-550, while recently adding it as an option the the F-650 and F-750 medium duty trucks.

99-02 trucks had the plug spitting issue like all 2V modulars. After that they are as reliable as any other modular engine.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
What year? Some earlier ones have issues with coils. As a diesel owner, really don't understand why someone would intentionally buy the V10. I get 18/19mpg on the highway (16mpg in town), and at worse have hit 13mpg pulling a loaded trailer.

Edit: Don't say cost is a deciding factor/ Price out parts for the V10 not cheap from what I remember.

You can basically replace a 3V V10 long block for the price of installing head gaskets, studs, and an EGR delete on a 6.0.

There used to be a good article on the SVTP home page that I believe SID had posted.
It compared the V10 and the Diesel engines.

Thanks for reading it.:beer:

This. Is paying for diesel really going to break the bank for a better truck? What is the intended use for this truck?

Friend had one and pulling a 2000lb car got a whopping 4.3mpg. :lol1:

Unless it is just going to be a brodozer or strictly in town light work truck I would push for the diesel. If going gasser, just get an F-150 that will cost a lot less in the long run.

There was something wrong with his truck (either mechanically or configuration wise) or driving style. I towed 10,000 pounds in an enclosed trailer (probably have the weigh ticket somewhere) up the Mt. Airy grade on US 77 N on the NC/VA boarder with a 2009 F-350 V10 with 4.10 gears, intentionally holding the truck at 70 MPH, and only observed a low of 4.1 MPG from bottom to top. The truck averaged about 8 MPG on the entire 1400 mile trip.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
You can basically replace a 3V V10 long block for the price of installing head gaskets, studs, and an EGR delete on a 6.0.

There was something wrong with his truck (either mechanically or configuration wise) or driving style. I towed 10,000 pounds in an enclosed trailer (probably have the weigh ticket somewhere) up the Mt. Airy grade on US 77 N on the NC/VA boarder with a 2009 F-350 V10 with 4.10 gears, intentionally holding the truck at 70 MPH, and only observed a low of 4.1 MPG from bottom to top. The truck averaged about 8 MPG on the entire 1400 mile trip.

Like I said not too familiar with V10 part prices, but I do remember coils were expensive and some other parts. Truck was fine as far as I know, so that would lead to the assumption of driving habit.

Given my experiences around both, I will always be diesel biased. Super Duty's as a whole you can't go wrong, they are solid even with age. OP good luck either way, just giving an opinion from experience. Take it with a grain of salt, after all I am just some jackass on the internet. :beer:

tistan

Established Member
My friend, who owns a towing business, got rid of his diesel truck for the v10. He got tired of shit breaking on the diesel and costing him money. He has close to 200k miles on the v10 now with no major problems. He uses it every day for towing.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
If you look at the purchase cost of the truck (assuming he is going used) I doubt you would ever recover the difference in fuel cost savings. Especially now that gas is going down and still cheaper than diesel.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
what about the new 6.2 in the F250. seems to be a good engine for a DD an light towing

ibleedblue65

Established Member
You can basically replace a 3V V10 long block for the price of installing head gaskets, studs, and an EGR delete on a 6.0

This is true depending on the longblock chosen and if you own a 6.0 it's a reality. The 6.4s with a dpf delete are quite formidable trucks. Great power and reliability. Still too early to judge the 6.7. With that aside, a diesel vs. gas debate is apples and oranges. Yes you can do a motor swap in a v10 for the same price as heads on a 6.0, but with one you still have a v10 gas pig. The diesel you can turn up the wick on and make some real power and it gets happier when you put a load behind it. Ever tried to follow a guy in a turbo diesel in a gas truck, both pulling a trailer? My boss toys with me on the way to the track.

Users who are viewing this thread