buying a car sight unseen

thatdude305

Established Member
I will be buying a terminator sight unseen. Seller has answered every question. Juts have never done this before. Does anyone have any experience with this. Any tips for me.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I will be buying a terminator sight unseen. Seller has answered every question. Juts have never done this before. Does anyone have any experience with this. Any tips for me.

First step...where is the car? I bet a member would go check it out for you.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
It really just comes down to how much you trust the info you've received. My dually I bought sight unseen but it was brand new. My wife's Mercedes I bought from a dealer in Dallas sight unseen except for a couple of pictures. Both have been excellent vehicles. If you decide to go through with this deal. Set it up in such a way that you leave yourself an out, a way to push back from the table and say no and not lose anything. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought my 93 and my 03 sight unseen. Lots of pictures and correspondence with the owner. If I got even a hint something wasn't right I would have backed out. The fact both were completely stock made the decision easier. I'm sure there are stories that worked out like mine and some on the opposite end of the spectrum too. It's a gut feeling thing for me after all the pics and perception of the owner. Either way it's a gamble.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Look it over and give it a test drive; anything else you normally would.

Be prepared to walk away if the car isnt what you thought it was or was mis-represented in the ad.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
If it is modded and depending on miles you could pay for a compression test, leak down, or both. You should ask for a driving video while driving normal and spirited. I am sure others will chime in.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I will add.. ask him to do an appraisal of the car as if he were being paid to do it. Sometimes if an owner is honest you will find out some things that you forgot to ask about.

earl lee

Established Member
I bought my truck sight unseen but it was at a dealer (NC). Had them send me a ton of photos and even requested a video of it running lol. They sent it no problem, drove up there with a check and bought it and drove it back home. I cant say it was all roses, I did bend a piston rod and had to have it rebuilt a year later after getting it but I cant blame the dealer, it drove fine for a year. Not sure what caused it but its been fine since the rebuilt motor.

Zemedici

Established Member
bought my cobra sight unseen, bought 2 one way plane tickets for me and wifey, and drove it back. Car was not what I expected, but eh. Its a mustang, parts are cheap and easy to replace.

Go for it.

#yoloswaggins

smitty2919

Established Member
Look it over and give it a test drive; anything else you normally would.

Be prepared to walk away if the car isnt what you thought it was or was mis-represented in the ad.

This is opposite of "buying a car sight unseen"...

OP are you buying the car and having it shipped to you (I assume so)? How far away is it?

smitty2919

Established Member
bought my cobra sight unseen, bought 2 one way plane tickets for me and wifey, and drove it back. Car was not what I expected, but eh. Its a mustang, parts are cheap and easy to replace.

How did that work logistically? Did you put a deposit down before flying out? Did you pay full price of car before flying out? If no, then it wasn't bought sight unseen IMO. You COULD have backed out and flew home at which point it would have been an expensive waste of time LOL.

But your mindset/approach since working for a good speed shop is different than the Average Joe in the same situation lol.

Zemedici

Established Member
How did that work logistically? Did you put a deposit down before flying out? Did you pay full price of car before flying out? If no, then it wasn't bought sight unseen IMO. You COULD have backed out and flew home at which point it would have been an expensive waste of time LOL.

But your mindset/approach since working for a good speed shop is different than the Average Joe in the same situation lol.

No sir, just told him to hold the car and sent a picture of a check with his name on it. Usually motivates people. However when I sold my 2015, the gentleman flew in from TX to buy my car, and I held a $1000 refundable deposit through paypal.

And where I work does have its advantages, but I was not working here when I purchased the cobra. Regardless, everyone should have a mechanic they trust, or know how to do the work themselves. Or both. hahaha should always alot 1-2k for 'misc repairs' when purchasing a used vehicle imo.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Not always RDJ, I have done it and had it done. You would be surprised what people will tell you about their car. Not saying you have to live with what they say but it does help.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Lol
2493137-ludmilla_drago_114_image.jpg

CobraLucci

LEO
Established Member
i sold my last cobra to a military kid from kentucky. Put in on craigslist and he contacted me. Deposite my money and i waited for it to clear. Dude rode down to orlando fl and drove home to kentucky. The cobra i have now i traded some guy in louisiana. A supercharged g8 for his cobra. What i didnt know was that he and a buddy has a small dealer and he had my car sold before i even showed up lol. its a gamble

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I bought my 93 and my 03 sight unseen. Lots of pictures and correspondence with the owner. If I got even a hint something wasn't right I would have backed out. The fact both were completely stock made the decision easier. I'm sure there are stories that worked out like mine and some on the opposite end of the spectrum too. It's a gut feeling thing for me after all the pics and perception of the owner. Either way it's a gamble.

I've sold a few "stock" cars.

Users who are viewing this thread