Buying a car out of state?

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Have any of you guys bought a car out of state from a private party? Anything I should look out for? I would be interested in hearing some of your experiences.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Based on what eBay recommends - you should at least send a trained mechanic to go check the car out and send you a report (assuming you are purchasing it without seeing it). This at least would save you from having to travel to the car.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Thats a good idea. Is there any legal documents I can have them sign that state that everything they have told me about the car is true? Is there any suck document?

SteveChris

Established Member
this might not apply at all but might be a good tip for someone. i found a way to buy a car out of state and not pay tax. i moved from ny to maryland, i had a celica. shutup. and i never registered it in md or got an md license (still dont to this day a year later) i sold the celica 2 months after i moved and bought the cobra from chicago (wasnt priavte though from a dealership), i drove it back and went to register it. i paid a few reg fees nothing big and the guy said thats all. iasked what about the 5% md tax for the car. he said since i didnt have an md license i dont have to pay. if i had gotten my license a week earlier or sooner id have to pay.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
I bought mine from a guy in missouri, great experience. He's a member on this forum so it was pretty easy to figure everything out.

blown88gt

Established Member
I don't know about the license thing as I have a GA license but if you buy a car in GA and it is out of state they charge you tax on it plus if it has not been registered the previous year or years you have to pay back taxes on it. I got mad when I heard that one I was like I have to pay for some other guy not paying. They said yes and if you want a tag you will pay.

Maverick95

"It's all good!"
Established Member
I bought my Cobra off of Ebay. The car was in PA. Being in NJ, I contacted the seller and drove out to see the car. I ran a check on the car prior to going out to see it. Everything was in order. I asked alot of questions. Drove out, bought it, drove it home. Now tucked away in the garage awaiting her resurrection! (Building her my way---car was completely stock when I bought it)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Make sure you get the title .. if he has to pay the title off make sure you get a bill of sale from him that states the vin number of the car. Find out what His states laws are on tags so you know if you have to get temp tags to drive it or not. Get a receipt from him for the money .. in addition to the bill of sale ... check his ID signature on his drivers license with the sig on the bill of sale ... better yet ... have him go with you to his states DMV office and see if they will give you temp tags for the car ...

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Any of you guys have the car shipped to you? What companies did you use?

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
URDONE said:
Have any of you guys bought a car out of state from a private party? Anything I should look out for? I would be interested in hearing some of your experiences.

I Bought my '01 out of houston and it was perfect condition when i got it from the dealer.
Bought the '04 out of Iowa and it was flawless, considering it only had 800miles on the odometer in May of '05.

venom279

Established Member
mjzilinski said:
Hey Brian, how have you been? Did you find a new cobra yet? I've been enjoying mine, rolled past 20k miles right before I put it away in storage for winter.

Pretty good bro. I knew you would love the mystichrome, it looks llike it's not a garage queen.. :rockon: Not looking for a cobra now, I have a fox-body notch that I am putting a DOHC 5.4 in. That is going to have to do me until I get the money saved up for an 05 GT40 in 2-3 years.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
venom279 said:
Then you can get a competition orange Mike.. :poke:
:lol1: I dont think I could give up the mystic just because of all the looks that it gets and how the color changes depending on where the sun is. I think I just like comp orange because I dont ever see any of em.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
venom279 said:
Pretty good bro. I knew you would love the mystichrome, it looks llike it's not a garage queen.. :rockon: Not looking for a cobra now, I have a fox-body notch that I am putting a DOHC 5.4 in. That is going to have to do me until I get the money saved up for an 05 GT40 in 2-3 years.
GT40 :uh oh: Your my hero, I saw a guy at olive garden a few months ago that had one, you cant appreciate them until you see them up close.

The cobra has a stage 3 eaton, 4lb lower, headers, injectors, etc etc that is going on this spring. I think I should be 500-530 at the wheels, after that we will just have to see how I can drive.

venom279

Established Member
mjzilinski said:
GT40 :uh oh: Your my hero, I saw a guy at olive garden a few months ago that had one, you cant appreciate them until you see them up close.

The cobra has a stage 3 eaton, 4lb lower, headers, injectors, etc etc that is going on this spring. I think I should be 500-530 at the wheels, after that we will just have to see how I can drive.

That's a great combo, you'll drive it fine, just don't forget some slicks.. ;-)

venom279

Established Member
mjzilinski said:
:lol1: I dont think I could give up the mystic just because of all the looks that it gets and how the color changes depending on where the sun is. I think I just like comp orange because I dont ever see any of em.

I know, I was just razzin yah since I saw you were talking about a competition orange cobra the other day. :nono: ... :poke:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I've bought two Lightnings from out of state. Our '02 L was bought off Ebay a year ago. It had 12k miles on it. Everything went perfect and the truck was pristine. We bought our '04 from somebody on this site. The truck was awesome, but a lot went unmentioned. It had a home made driveshaft loop on it that barely cleared the shaft. It had some gnarly scratches all the way down the passenger side that had to be fixed. A lot of blemishes went unmentioned and the truck was far from perfect. It's a great truck now, but only after a lot of TLC. Do whatever you can to see the vehicle in person or make sure and get detailed pics of just about every nook and cranny.

Users who are viewing this thread