Buying a 03-04 Cobra

awakened

Established Member
This goes for any used car but its important for terminators due to the way these cars are so often modded and tuned. Bring an OBD2 reader to your test drive. In addition to the obvious of checking for current codes you can also make sure that the readiness monitors, or emissions monitors, are all complete. This ensures that the owner did not reset the fault codes just prior to you driving it and therefore hiding any check engine lights. I did everything else including a compression test but didn't do this when I bought my low mile terminator. Two hours into my drive home I get a check engine light. Most likely from the canned predator tune in the car. I took the car to get a dyno tune right away and set things straight. This is also something you should plan on doing for piece of mind.

BRileyNV

Established Member
This goes for any used car but its important for terminators due to the way these cars are so often modded and tuned. Bring an OBD2 reader to your test drive. In addition to the obvious of checking for current codes you can also make sure that the readiness monitors, or emissions monitors, are all complete. This ensures that the owner did not reset the fault codes just prior to you driving it and therefore hiding any check engine lights. I did everything else including a compression test but didn't do this when I bought my low mile terminator. Two hours into my drive home I get a check engine light. Most likely from the canned predator tune in the car. I took the car to get a dyno tune right away and set things straight. This is also something you should plan on doing for piece of mind.
What check engine Light came on and did you have to get the monitors deleted for emissions controls

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Twin disk solves this even though I don’t daily mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, this is exactly why I have a twin disk in my almost stock Cobra. I don't daily my Cobra, but having that twin disk makes it so much nicer to drive.

Freaking awesome! Lol.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

awakened

Established Member
What check engine Light came on and did you have to get the monitors deleted for emissions controls

Once I got it home I put the scanner on it and it was a lean code. It was a bad tune. My tuner straightened it out. You can have the monitors deleted in your tune but they weren't my problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BRileyNV

Established Member
Once I got it home I put the scanner on it and it was a lean code. It was a bad tune. My tuner straightened it out. You can have the monitors deleted in your tune but they weren't my problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
So it is possible to have the monitors deleted? I'm taking down to a local speed shop to have it tuned.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Buy one with all the mods, that way you dont have to pay for them.

Best advice ever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That can go either way. Just because it's got all the mods doesn't mean it was all installed correctly. I've seen plenty of members post on here over the years with problems on a cobra they bought. A lot of hack jobs.

I bought mine nearly stock, and modded it the way I wanted, and wrenching on them is half the fun.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
That can go either way. Just because it's got all the mods doesn't mean it was all installed correctly. I've seen plenty of members post on here over the years with problems on a cobra they bought. A lot of hack jobs.

I bought mine nearly stock, and modded it the way I wanted, and wrenching on them is half the fun.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Well yeah.. I give that advice with in reason.

You still need to do your due diligence and make sure you can verify and check as much of the car as possible.

I wont hesitate to buy a highly modified car with a good comp/leak down and a trail of paperwork.

I was burned on my last one, but that was because I was in a rush and didnt have time to get it check out. Got blinded by low mileage and mystichrome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The older these '03 -'04 Cobras get, the more "due diligence" is needed. That goes without saying. Thorough checks, tests, questions...all needed. A lot of great advice has been given in this thread. Advice to heed.

It usually helps when you know the seller.

awakened

Established Member
You can have the monitors deleted but won't you fail inspection?
It depends on the laws in your state. In Pennsylvania for cars 2001 and newer you can only have one active monitor that shows "not ready". However, the regulations don't say which or how many monitors need to be active. They only check for "not ready" monitors. Therefore, if you shut a monitor off it no longer reads as "ready" or "not ready". If you don't have any (or one at the most) "not ready" monitors then you pass even if that is because none, or only one, of the monitors are active.
Screenshot_20190104-201752_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

HPLouis

Established Member
It depends on the laws in your state. In Pennsylvania for cars 2001 and newer you can only have one active monitor that shows "not ready". However, the regulations don't say which or how many monitors need to be active. They only check for "not ready" monitors. Therefore, if you shut a monitor off it no longer reads as "ready" or "not ready". If you don't have any (or one at the most) "not ready" monitors then you pass even if that is because none, or only one, of the monitors are active.View attachment 1541248

Got it. I have the SCT Pro Racer software and you can turn off the monitors.

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread