Buying 03 Cobra!! Have some questions?

fastrnu2

Established Member
He says that the car makes 508hp/503tq. It has the stage 4 port, 2.80 upper pulley, x-pipe, and catback. The car has no fuel support mods and the stock mass air. Are these numbers possible without doing any damage. He says that the mods have only been on for about 2,000 miles. Also he's seeing about 15lbs of boost.

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Take a wideband with you... and listen for any knocking is probably the best advice i can give you... if its running too lean.. car = poop if its running a bit rich.. it should be alright if im not mistaken..

Hopefully a Terminator guy will come in and help you out more on the subject!
Goodluck!

Bump for ya!

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Quick96Cobra said:
Take a wideband with you... and listen for any knocking is probably the best advice i can give you... if its running too lean.. car = poop if its running a bit rich.. it should be alright if im not mistaken..

Hopefully a Terminator guy will come in and help you out more on the subject!
Goodluck!

Bump for ya!

+1, good call...

from what you mentioned in your post the car seems to be pretty reasonable with what he has done to it, it sounds legit. Goodluck! :coolman:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Sounds legit, but the car should be right at the limit as far as MAF and fuel pumps go.

99SVTcobraVERT

pumps are not at their limits, just need a kb boost a pump. and he doesnt have aux ilders and doesnt have intake of any kind and still makes over 500rwhp..??? hmm to get that kind of power out of it with a restrictive air box and maybe having some belt slippage w/o idler. would HAVE to mean the tune is boarder line if not lean and pushing limits of 93 already for detonation.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I say bring a buddy that works on cars and take him on the test drive. Dont get hooked on this Cobra if your gut says there's something up with it!!

99SVTcobraVERT

better safe than sorry, pay 75 bucks and strap her down for a few pulls to make sure the a/f is safe and so they can listen for detonation and then do a leak down to see if she is healthy.

etfhb

Established Member
blown04vert said:
better safe than sorry, pay 75 bucks and strap her down for a few pulls to make sure the a/f is safe and so they can listen for detonation and then do a leak down to see if she is healthy.

+1 try not to get caught up in the excitement of buying a 500hp cobra.

BTW you will see snow in less than a month and a half, and i assume the cobra would be stored for the winter. the car comes out in late march so if you buy it you will get only 2 months of good use out of the car between now and april. thats 7 months of pmts, ins, etc...

man i'm starting to sound old,:bored:

the bottom line is it pays to be knowledgeable when buying a car like this especially a heavily modded one

make sure it has a safe tune and pay for a leak down. if the seller balks, find another cobra.:beer:

fastrnu2

Established Member
My cousin is looking at buying this car. This is his question. I have an '04 and spent all the extra money on the "safety" mods. BAP,MAF, etc.... We think the 500/500 to the wheels is b.s. with the mods the car has, or better yet doesn't. He wants more input from others. We're bringing a compression tester, wideband, and my datalogging stuff on saturday when we go to look at it. Thanks for the input thus far keep it coming.

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
I have 517 rwhp and 495 rwtq, no fuel mods, and stock mass air, the car is dynoed and runs perfectly. However, remember every car is different and listen to the guys in this forum. If you paying good money for a 500 horse cobra( fun as hell), do whatever you have to do to feel good about this fun investment...I know my 2 cents.....af ratio 11.8 on mine....
Other than that good luck it will be a blast to own......slo-poc...

Last edited:

wanta03cobra

Established Member
Yes I am the one looking at the car, I forgot to mention that it does have a CAI and idler pulleys. Also he is asking $22,000 for the car I thought the price was pretty. What do you guys think.

Last edited:

KVN03

The Darkside Rocks!
Established Member
If there is no prob now there will be. The pumps can support that HP without the BAP but the stock 39's really can't I don't see how it's not leaning out.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
slo-poc said:
I have 517 rwhp and 495 rwtq, no fuel mods, and stock mass air, the car is dynoed and runs perfectly. However, remember every car is different and listen to the guys in this forum. If you paying good money for a 500 horse cobra( fun as hell), do whatever you have to do to feel good about this fun investment...I know my 2 cents.....af ratio 11.8 on mine....
Other than that good luck it will be a blast to own......slo-poc...

as far as I'm concerned, anyone who is even close to 500 with no MAF or fuel mods should be datalogging to verify the safety margin (or lack thereof)

Users who are viewing this thread