Buy an 03/04 or Restore 68 Fastback

My next mustang is…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Last year, I picked up a 1968 Fastback C code with a 289 that had been sitting for 25+ years. Considering sitting in a field, It’s solid, had all original metal and glass but has some rust eating at the rear quarter and a hole in the door. Torque boxes and floors are solid. Original motor/transmission with 42k miles. The car doesn’t run, needs full interior and full restoration.

I’ve never had a Terminator but always wanted one. I found a couple nice ones low mile, clean in the 30k-40k range. I like the idea i can just get in it and go. Also light years ahead in comfort, and performance even though it’s dated nowadays.

These are my favorite two mustangs of all time that are actually attainable for me. I have 1 so far so should I restore it and get it back on the road now or buy the Cobra and restore the 68’ later?

I can’t afford time/money wise to do both right now.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
30-40 will get you a Cobra. You'll be in much more money for a restoration of the 68. Just depends on your budget, time, and skill level. Time is a big factor, drive now or a few years down the road.

If you are itching for something now, get the Cobra. Start a slush fund for the 68, look for parts, vendors, chassis, performance parts. Put a binder or something together. It will keep you focused. Then when you are ready you have an idea of how the restoration will go. They can become daunting if your eyes start to wander.

cobracide

Established Member
You have both of your dream cars in sight. you're going to just have to pick which one for now since you can't swing both. Let the 68 sit for now. Fastback nailed it - drive now or later.. Pretty easy choice if it was me - Drive Now. As you already eluded to... '03=4 lightyears ahead in all aspects and super responsive to mods. You wait on shit - sometimes it never happens.

Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member
That’s a tough call for sure bud. I guess my first question would be. Which one do you think would give you the most joy up front? Would possibly buying a cobra now give you the push to work harder to restore the 68? Or do you think after long days and long nights and busted knuckles would you be thinking damn.. if I bought that cobra first. I think the fact you’ve got the 68 already is amazing. What if you bought a “higher” mileage cobra instead, and have a $10k or so start up fund for your 68? There is a few members on here, even one with over 400k miles on his. You can certainly take care of them and they’ll run. With any car time, and patience is needed. I’ve had to on several occasions walk away from my black cobra during my restoring my suspension, brakes, exhaust, etc.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Truthfully terminators are a dime a dozen compared to a 42k mile ‘68 fastback.
I’d focus on the fastback. You can always pick up a terminator later on.
Hopefully the ‘68 is a 4-speed, but if it’s an auto, I’d still focus on it first.
It has C4 auto in it. I’m thinking I may save the original powertrain and go with a 351/390 or stroker with a T5. or refresh the 289 but still go toploader or 5 speed.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Last year, I picked up a 1968 Fastback C code with a 289 that had been sitting for 25+ years. Considering sitting in a field, It’s solid, had all original metal and glass but has some rust eating at the rear quarter and a hole in the door. Torque boxes and floors are solid. Original motor/transmission with 42k miles. The car doesn’t run, needs full interior and full restoration.

I’ve never had a Terminator but always wanted one. I found a couple nice ones low mile, clean in the 30k-40k range. I like the idea i can just get in it and go. Also light years ahead in comfort, and performance even though it’s dated nowadays.

These are my favorite two mustangs of all time that are actually attainable for me. I have 1 so far so should I restore it and get it back on the road now or buy the Cobra and restore the 68’ later?

You’ll spend $100k on a proper restoration, so plan accordingly.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
You’ll spend $100k on a proper restoration, so plan accordingly.
I think I’ll spend less because I’ll being doing as much as I can as far as assembly and disassembly. Since it’s not an ultra rare optioned Fastback I’m not going for a concourse level but yeah I get you that it will be costly. Something I’d shoot to complete over 3-5 years.

ctandc

Honestly it depends on how much you can actually do yourself restoring the '68. Labor cost is what racks up the $ on restores, especially metal fab and replacement.

However, if you're paying someone to fix up the '68? There's an old saying - the cheapest way to restore an old car is to buy one already restored. People regularly spend more to restore a car than it's worth. A friend does a couple cars a year, in his own shop. He did a GTO once. It was the guy's first car, it wasn't a highly desirable GTO. The car needed extensive metal work. He tried to talk the customer out of it, or even starting with a better shell. Customer went ahead anyway. In the end they spend $20K MORE than that restored car was worth.

The market for Fastback Mustangs right now is nuts. I've seen cars that needed TONS of metal work, complete basket cases, and not super rare hipo versions, go pretty deep into 5 figures.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This is one reason why we bought a 67 fastback that was already "done". But they are never done..

I love driving that car, but something on that car always needs something....

It's a very tough call, because I don't see cobra prices going down. And restoration parts keep going up.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
This is one reason why we bought a 67 fastback that was already "done". But they are never done..

I love driving that car, but something on that car always needs something....

It's a very tough call, because I don't see cobra prices going down. And restoration parts keep going up.

I hear that, in the process of new headers, steering box, upper and lower rad hoses, motor mounts, and drop blocks on the 70'. But man, cruising down the road in a classic is just fun. No need to be the fastest out there. You have nothing to prove.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I hear that, in the process of new headers, steering box, upper and lower rad hoses, motor mounts, and drop blocks on the 70'. But man, cruising down the road in a classic is just fun. No need to be the fastest out there. You have nothing to prove.
100%.

There is something special about driving a old classic. I could care less that 90% of the cars on the road could beat it in a race.

204130cb15870c5962d23561abfd0a05.jpg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

1) About how old are you?
2) If you restored the '68, what would you do with it? What are your expectations? Car shows, daily drive, road trip, keep it forever?
3) If you purchased a Terminator, what would you do with it? What are your expectations? Car shows, daily drive, road trip, keep it forever?

Without knowing your answers, spending about $20k to get a solid, low mileage, '68 Fastback as a patina'd, roadworthy driver, would be very tempting.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
100%.

There is something special about driving a old classic. I could care less that 90% of the cars on the road could beat it in a race.

204130cb15870c5962d23561abfd0a05.jpg

Beautiful! There is no right answer to this question… but which do you prefer to drive more, the 03 Cobra or 67 Fastback?

Users who are viewing this thread