Burning smell coming from driver side rear brake

92stanglx

Established Member
I just changed the rear pads on the Cobra. After taking it for a test drive I noticed there was a burning brake smell coming from the driver's side rear caliper. When I looked there was also a bit of smoke.

Seems like the capliper is sticking? Any ideas on what to check?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
E-brake cable hanging up possibly? I think i`ve seen a few threads about the cable coming un-hooked or something along those lines under the car.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
There`s two recesses in the piston that the two little tits on the pad should line up with. You might have to screw the piston one way or the other to get them to line up.

92stanglx

Established Member
Ok, so I took the caliper off and I don't see anything obviously wrong. The brake cable is attached correctly and the pads "seem" to be installed right.

untitled.jpg

Do you guys see anything that looks out of place? The only thing I can think of is maybe the notches not being lined up could cause this?

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
you took it off, were the notches lined up?

with the caliper on and the parking brake released, make sure that the parking mechanism is disengaged on the caliper.... get some pliers and pull the parking lever towards the rear of the car at where the parking brake cable slips into it... if there is movement, then you got a problem and the caliper isn't releasing

rparkbrake4.gif

92stanglx

Established Member
Ok.. put the caliper back on.. checked the alignment of the tits.. checked the e-brake.. everything cool.

Took it for a test drive and I am good to go :D

Thanks everyone! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread