Burning smell after WOT in 4th

Two Snakes

Putting on the foil
Established Member
Any of you 450+hp guys have a burning odor after WOT runs through 4th gear? I searched and found little info on a smell in upper gears. I can't "feel" any clutch slip and don't smell it if I only run WOT through 3rd gear, but once I get into 4th it begins to smell before I even get to the top of 4th gear. Maybe I need to get on the dyno or track and see if hp or trap numbers are down. No new mods added at all and engine/belt/plugs all look great.

FYI, 12,000 miles on stock clutch (10,000 miles pullied at 450+hp). I am guessing it is clutch time. Any insight from you 450+ guys who are on the stock clutch???? :shrug:
Thanks

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I could smell my clutch after a pull for the couple of months before it finally went. And that was with less power than you.

Hye

Established Member
burning clutch has a very distinct smell to it, you will know its there if you can smell it. sorta like burnt hair, it smells really nasty and you know exactly what it is. does ur burning smell smell like clutch?

Two Snakes

Putting on the foil
Established Member
Hye06 said:
burning clutch has a very distinct smell to it, you will know its there if you can smell it. sorta like burnt hair, it smells really nasty and you know exactly what it is. does ur burning smell smell like clutch?

It is a faint smell that is getting a little stronger each week. I think it is clutch smell, but just not sure. Probably just paranoid after reading all these piston and engine meltdown threads. Thanks for the info guys.

CF DFX time. :rockon:

Sharkster

Established Member
Two Snakes said:
Any of you 450+hp guys have a burning odor after WOT runs through 4th gear? I searched and found little info on a smell in upper gears. I can't "feel" any clutch slip and don't smell it if I only run WOT through 3rd gear, but once I get into 4th it begins to smell before I even get to the top of 4th gear. Maybe I need to get on the dyno or track and see if hp or trap numbers are down. No new mods added at all and engine/belt/plugs all look great.

FYI, 12,000 miles on stock clutch (10,000 miles pullied at 450+hp). I am guessing it is clutch time. Any insight from you 450+ guys who are on the stock clutch???? :shrug:
Thanks
happened to me last week and again tonight. Hammered it 2nd thru 4th and coasted a bit (a friendly romp) I could smell it then. Kind of like burnt clutch smell to brake pads. Couldnt put a visual on the smell.

Sharkster

Established Member
Two Snakes said:
It is a faint smell that is getting a little stronger each week. I think it is clutch smell, but just not sure. Probably just paranoid after reading all these piston and engine meltdown threads. Thanks for the info guys.

CF DFX time. :rockon:
oh shit define the above regarding smells and pistong/engine meltdown. Now Im paranoid.

Two Snakes

Putting on the foil
Established Member
Sharkster, I am thinking this must be clutch, but I have been reading about all of these other problems that I just wanted to see if anyone else had an odor as their clutch was wearing thin. I have no tick - no other noise - and plugs look great. I just freaked a little because I only notice it when romping on it at the top of 4th.

I will have to cruise over to Edgerton some time and check out your torch red.

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Clutch smells like burning brakes. It could also be gear oil being forced out the overflow of your trans or diff and onto the exhaust. Check under the car for signs of that.

Hye

Established Member
I know it's old, but I actually experienced what you did after a good hard run in 4th gear, around a 20 mile trip. I was using mostly 3rd and 4th for some good stretches periodically on the way home. I pulled it in a garage, and it just had some kind of burning smell, i'm not sure if it was clutch or not. I've smelled it before, guess it just got my attention this time. I wasn't powershifting or abusing the clutch, just driving her fairly spirited, still safe though.

stvdman

Established Member
Could be the cats also, these cars will run pig rich at times. Plus if you have just been cruising around for awhile and blast down the road, yuo will smell the cats as they get real heated up.

I used to take mine out for a romp every now and then and I would tell my wife, " I am taking the car out to blow the stink off."

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
stvdman said:
Could be the cats also, these cars will run pig rich at times. Plus if you have just been cruising around for awhile and blast down the road, yuo will smell the cats as they get real heated up.

I used to take mine out for a romp every now and then and I would tell my wife, " I am taking the car out to blow the stink off."
There a huge difference in the smell of a burning clutch vs. from the cats. The cat stink is like rotten eggs. No mistaking it. LOL! Oh, and are you sure your wife didn't think you farted? :poke:

Two Snakes

Putting on the foil
Established Member
I still don't know what it is, but I don't think it is clutch. I changed out the stock H to a catted x, as well as the oil separator and the 3/8 fuel line used for the separator which I thought were deteriorating. No change -- I still have the odor when I get on the car hard. The odor isn't like rotten eggs, not like clutch or brakes, and isn't getting any stronger. Oh well. :shrug:

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
What about belt slip? If the belt was slipping bad enough, would that be something that you could smell? I have no idea. Just throwing it out there.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Two Snakes said:

Thanks

Sounds like its about time for you to give us a call!! :-D

Two Snakes

Putting on the foil
Established Member
Smell gone.

Well guys, the smell is gone. I did some mods recently and worked on the car and now it is gone, even when I really get on the car hard through 3rd and 4th gear. I just reinstalled the blower after getting it back from Stieg (Stage IV) and I had Sambandit hook be up with a Mile High Dyno custom tune and MAFia.

When I pulled the blower, it was caked with a layer of oil, along with the intercooler and lower intake. I ran a drivers side separator for 10k miles too, but I guess alot gets by anyway - no real big surprise. So I sprayed the intercooler fins with an entire can of brake cleaner and rinsed it (thanks Sambandit & Broke for the tip). The gunk that came out of it was unreal. It oozed some more, so I it hit it again. Then I went after the layer in the lower intake. Of course, the blower came back clean from Stieg. So now, I reinstalled everything and no weird smell at all when I really run it hard. Go figure. :shrug:

If any of you terminator experts know better, feel free to correct me, but I figure it had to be the oil/gunk buildup everywhere. I never did smell the distinct odor of clutch and no leaks under the car. Hopefully, that was it. But it doesn't smell now and the car is an animal! The Stage IV and custom tune really woke it up.

Stieg Stage IV + Sambandit custom tune = the SH!T. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread