Built t-5 behind 98 cobra

99redwj

Established Member
Working on the swap into my 86 fox.Have a t5 that I'm currently rebuilding and I see that there is an adapter bell housing to fit the 4.6.Plans are mildly build 4v,Or should I save for another trans?

SVT Rob

Established Member
The built T5 will work, but I thought the T45 was a stronger trans from the factory than the T5 was? You'd be better off getting a TKO to put behind it.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Perks of T5? Lighter transmission and removable bell housing.

TKO transmissions are mad expensive.

T45/3650 are pretty badass transmissions when you build them right... I just wish you could have a removable bellhousing without spending the $$$ for the one Keisler makes.

SVT Rob

Established Member
Yea, the non-removable bell housing kinda blows. I guess if you have a T5 and it's already built, the bell housing for a 4.6L will be a better option for you.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I don't know the exact cost,but when I called up about 1-2 years ago they have to actually build the transmission to make the conversion [you can't just buy it].

Mad dough, I forgot the exact amount

SVT Rob

Established Member
I talked with Zak about doing my T45. They are a bit on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for. It was cheaper for me to throw a used lower-mileage T45 into my heap, than it was to be without the car for 1-2 weeks, sending the trans off, getting it rebuilt, and having it shipped back.

I do plan on having a rebuild done on it, at a later date. Look to spend $900-$1200 for a rebuilt T45 from Zak. But know that it can handle 450whp reliably.

99redwj

Established Member
Setting up the t-5 for the 4.6,next question anyone running the McLeod hydraulic clutch? Pros? cons?

epracmetcon

Established Member
Lakewood makes a scattershield that will work. But if it were ME, I would keep my eyes out for a tko. I picked up a fresh rebuilt tko with all the stuff needed to put in my car for $1100.

harvboi05

Established Member
lakewoods bell housings need to be dial indicator centered.. the quicktimes, no. the quicktime bell housing also has provisions for both the t5 and the tko. a tko uses the same tob fork as a t45 too. i thought long and hard about going with an At5 or a tko, i ended up going with a tko.

i have a 4.6 lakewood bellhousing built for a tko, that was modified for a t5. i also have a pauls high performance trans mount adapter to put a tko on a 98 cross member if youre interested either way. both swaps can be made bolt in easy, if you get the right parts.

CJK440

Established Member
lakewoods bell housings need to be dial indicator centered.. the quicktimes, no.

Is that what quicktime says? Indicating your bell or tranny case (auto or stick) is akin to degreeing your cam vs. lining the dots.

Helomech74

Established Member
All of those bellhousings should be indexed to the block. My last Quicktime bellhousing for my T56 was off by a good bit and needed to be indexed, so personally I would check all of them regardless of brand.

harvboi05

Established Member
Supposedly Lakewood's are stamped vs quicktime's being machined. Quicktime install instructions say that it should definitely be checked. Everyone I asked about the QuickTime checked theirs and didn't need any adjustment.. definitely a good piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread