Built Motor Project Begins

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
Figured I finally have some carnage to show so time for a quick thread.... car is an 01 cobra with JLT CAI, 03 Heads, full exhaust, Solid Rear with 4.56 gears, and spray....

during a little bit of playing, the car started to lose power at the top of fourth, AF gauge started going nuts, and the smoke screen began.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB3U7F3hJFk"]YouTube - Mofo-2003 500hp Ported Blower Cobra vs 01 Nitrous Cobra[/nomedia]

The car sat for a little while because i was living in a townhouse with no garage to do the work, but now i am moved and the tear down began...

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

My good friend Blown03Mach1 came over and finally got some real motivation going....

DSC03990.jpg

DSC03992.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Garage floor is filling up fast with parts....

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Finally got real motivated and got the head off... not a real surprise what i found

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

DSC03994.jpg

And this is where i sit at the moment... the plan for the car is going to be a turbo build and i had planned to reuse my block since it is a teksid, but i am not sure if its walls can be saved now. The short term goal is to get the rest of it torn apart and get it to a machine shop in the next day or two to see if they think they can save it If so it will be stuffed with forged goodies and be on its way, if not i am looking at a couple of different shortblock options out there.... either way the car should be a monster when it drives again :rockon:

HUGE thanks to Blown03Mach1 for the motivation thus far.... and for Ironhand who i will be getting his rubber gloved hands all kinds of dirty on this project before its over!!!! :poke:

Ironhand

Banned
Your just lucky I know how to time a 4 valve. Let me know when you come up with a plan for that bad boy. You know what I would do if you can't save the block.

I'll bring extra gloves for ya bro. Lol

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
You melted that pecker good. Bummer though, atleast now you get to build it bigger and better. Teksid blocks ftw lol GLWB :beer:

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
I made a little bit of progress, but the main reason for the update is the first picture.....

my daughter was sick so i had to go get her from school at lunch.... she took a nap and woke up while i was out removing the ARP head studs from the old motor and asked to help.... MADE MY DAY!!!!!!

ARP head studs removed from old block

DSC04007.jpg

"new" shortblock on the engine stand and cleaned up a little... teksid block .20 over built by Al Papitto, Kellog forged crank and Manley rods, custom CP pistons, Mahle Rings and Clevite Bearings, Canton aluminum oil pan and windage tray, Melling Billet Oil Pump, MMR Billet Rear Seal

DSC04009.jpg

DSC04010.jpg

DSC04011.jpg

Next on the list is to order the MMR billet plate to replace the stock oil cooler as well as start ordering the random gaskets that will be needed to put it back together, and to figure out what to do about the heads... The valves have a nasty build up on number 5 where it lost the piston so they could really use a valve job before they go back into the car, but we all know what kind of can of worms that is going to open.

pdm

Established Member
Looks like a fun one. I'll be watching.

Open those heads up, don't be scared.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
Hows it going on the build? Your in Tampa let me know if you need help.

Thanks for the offer!!!!

so far i dont have much to report thanks to work.... i was out in vegas for a week and then over in london and scottland for another project so the car really went on the back burner :)

Since my last update really all i have done is pull the heads apart and run the valves through a parts tumbler and cleaner.... i plan to order springs and retainers this weekend so i can start putting them back together while i save up the cash for a set of turbo cams.

Shoot me a pm with your number sometime... :beer:

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
Its been a LONG time since i made any updates to this thread, but the car finally lives. I ended up being impatient so i installed the motor in the car on open manifolds, but i do have the T76 turbo in a box in the garage and just waiting to get the rest of the piping and upgrade my fuel system.

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
Damm that's a LONG down time! Congrats on finishing! Who's tuning it?

haha.. yeah thats what happens when you have a career, a wife, two kids, and a daily driver. it really let me take my time and not spare many expenses.

It will be tuned by Jake and the guys at Power by the Hour Performance.... Home

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
^^^ hahaha... perfection takes time my brother. you should know that first hand![/QUO

What k member, and spring rates do you have? I might invest in a k like that soon.

That is a UPR piece... i was very satisfied in their rear products but i have mixed feelings about the fitment of the k member. I have not drove with it yet to be able to determine how it rides. Unfortunately i dont know the spring rate because i picked them up used

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Now is the perfect time to finish the details up, we still got 2 months of scorching heat, mines in the garage under a cover, I take a short cruise every couple weeks to heat the motor up other than that the DD Saturn sees full time duty..

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
yeah i have been begging my wife to let me run one of our AC ducts over to the garage... it sucks!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread