Built 2001 Cobra low on power

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Ok here is all info on block cams and everything. Installed in a 2001 SVT Cobra.

BLOCK
Balanced and Blueprinted 5.1L Stroker
3.750in Stroke, 6.000 Rod
11 to 1 Compression
All Forged

HEADS
01 Cobra Head shaved .010
5 angle valve job
Hand porting
New Spring and Retainers

CAMS
Comp Cams
Intake
DUR. 234 @.050
Valve Lift .475
@ 112.0 centerline

Exhaust
DUR. 232 @.050
Valve Lift .450
@ 116.0 Centerline

Ignition
Stock
NGK TR6 plugs

INTAKE
K&N Cold Air Intake
BBK Throttle Body
Stock 01 Cobra Intake

EXHAUST
BBK Ceramic Coated Longtubes
BBK off road X-pipe
Flowmaster Cat-back

TUNING
Tuned on dynojet using sniper tuning software
Total Timing set to 26 degrees

DYNO NUMBERS
316rwhp @ 6300rpm
293.85 tq @ 5300rpm
Air Fuel Ratio 13.0-13.3 throughout pull
Curve is nice and flat just a steady increase to 6300 stays level till 6500 then starts to drop.

The car was broke in on the dyno. To set intial tune, no full throttle pull. The car was driven for approxiately 150-200 miles. It then was strapped to dyno for pulls car put down 309 with 22 degrees of total timing. Car was driven for about 100 more miles then retuned again putting down 310. Finally after driving car another 100 miles timing was up to 26 and the car put down 316.

Car currently smokes a little under hard acceleration. Cam can deffintely be felt in car. Currently the cars likes to die at lights on occasion and immediately after starting. The car sounds like it has a turbo on it, I was told due to TB. Also car backfires on the 3-4 shift, but only there. Currently gas mileage is way down between 15-16mpg, before it was at 18-20. On interstate I an only getting 18, before I was getting 24.

To me the cars runs a little rough, but I was told that was due to the cams.

By my seat of the pants measures, it doesn't feel as good as it did before. Before from a roll at ~15mph I could nail it and it would roast the tires and when I would hit second it would roast them again. Now at 15mph it doesn't spin at all and shifting to second yeilds a small chirp.

Car put down 320rwhp SAE with a stock block with only CAI, ford racing shorty headers, basanni catted x-pipe, flowmaster catback, UDP, throttle body, and a dyno tune.

Just doesnt make sense that the car would not make more power. Most people with the similar setups make at least 335 where as most are above 350.

I dont see how it is possible to have only gained about 50 hp over stock with all the mods. Just the exhaust and intake should have put me there. On top of that it is putting out less then it had before the heads, cams, and better exhaust.

Any ideas as to what could be that problem?

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Compression/Leakdown check is the first thing that needs to be done. Also the timing is probably way out of whack on the cams

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
What injectors/MAF are you running? No issues with DC on the pump or injectors?

The intake will reduce potential power but shouldn't be down where it is. Triple check all connections, especially injector harness?

11 to 1 with shaved heads or is it higher with the shaved heads? Probably need to be running additive with that much CR.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
How's your fuel? The cam timing is probably off and that stock intake is choking you as well.
This is what I told you on that OTHER Site we're on!!
Your cams were probably installed wrong! And you said you had a novice try to do your tune with Sniper Software, there lies your problem!!

Last edited:

bigja01cobra

Established Member
I am putting car on datalogger and dyno tomorrow morning.

Injectors and maf are stock. I dont think I was having any issues with fueling since A/F stayed almost exactly on 13 but we only made the pull to 6500, I will check duty cycles tomorrow as well.

The compression ratio should be exactly 11.2 - 1 on the dot. according to engine builder. Becuase the heads where shaved .010 and we used the builders reccommended cometic gasket. He said that with 93 octane it shouldn't be an issue. Since he has built plenty with 11.5-1 that run on 91 octane. Block builder also says motor is down on power.

I don't think the car is smoking, I believe with was just some water vapor. I will double check on dyno tomorrow as well.

Another note to add is the block/rings where set-up for a 150-200 shot of nitrous. But I want to make sure all is perfect before I install the nitrous set-up. I know I will have to upgrade fuel system for nitrous, but I dont want to mess with it until I get this figured out.

I am going to check all duty cycles tomorrow, injectors, fuel pump, as well as see if MAF is maxing out. I dont think i would have those issues but it might. Anything else I should be looking at to help diagnose?

Also if the Cams where off wouldn't it be really noticeable. I drove a 2 valve with the cams degreed wrong and the damn thing barely ran. Mine runs great above 4000 but below it is a turd. I will also post some dynosheets tomorrow as well for you guys to see.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jason

bigja01cobra

Established Member
This is what I told you on that OTHER Site we're on!!
Your cams were probably installed wrong! And you said you had a novice try to do your tune with Sniper Software, there lies your problem!!

Yeah I am checking all that tomorrow. I am going to mess with tuning a little myself and see. I am going to do what you suggest and fatten it up a little. I might also try pulling a little timing since it does backfire going into 4th. IF tuning yeilds no results, the shop is willing to pull it apart and double check for me. I am going to increase idle also to keep it from stalling on me.

They have done 3 or 4 four valve cams swaps with tune successfully before mine, but all were 03-04 or turboed cars. So I do have faith in them and they must have the proper equipment to do it, but everyone makes mistakes. They usually deal with some pretty radical boosted applications or N/A LSx's not many N/A mustangs.

Jason

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Other engine Experts will chime in to offer further help, but doing that datalogging should give you an idea if the fuel system, MAF counts,timing,etc.. are optimum! Yeah I got your private message, you should send Rick from Amazon an e-mail concerning that Sniper software, he tunes with it, I'm not familiar with that many others that use it?? I'm sure he'd be able to look at the custom tune that was made for you and give an opinion..

Last edited:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Maf/injectors need upgrading (Lmaf/39lb injectors) as will fuel pump if it's still stock. Cam timing is suspect, and it sounds like you need a good tuner. Providing everything is OK this is where I'd start.

Quad, What's the issue with the 298 stroke?

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Cam timing is my guess. Sounds like it could be off by a tooth or two. You are correct on it being down on power; with that combination and compression, you should be seeing much more power.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I feel the same as above and suspect cam timing...do both you stft match?

Also you can kinda see how you cam timing may be affecting you by doing a compression test. If there is a different in reading from bank to bank then the cam timing is your problem.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Maf/injectors need upgrading (Lmaf/39lb injectors) as will fuel pump if it's still stock. Cam timing is suspect, and it sounds like you need a good tuner. Providing everything is OK this is where I'd start.

The Lmaf and 39#rs will support upper 400RWHP

werd on the rest of your post!

Cam timing is my guess. Sounds like it could be off by a tooth or two. You are correct on it being down on power; with that combination and compression, you should be seeing much more power.

i agree the cam timing is suspect...that and the tune

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I feel the same as above and suspect cam timing...do both you stft match?

Also you can kinda see how you cam timing may be affecting you by doing a compression test. If there is a different in reading from bank to bank then the cam timing is your problem.
Thread starter Now do you believe me??

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Thread starter Now do you believe me??

I still find it hard to believe but I guess everyone can't be wrong. I just dont want to believe you know how it is. I still think I am a sexy beast of a man, eventhough the girls still run from me. I just tell myself I am too sexy.

Well dyno fell thru, had to work this morning and the rest of the week. I am going back next week. I will let everyone know something.

I talked to my guys and they said the DC's never went above 70% or something like that and we never had a lean condition anywhere. Also they said they had idle set at 750 and a 150 increase with A/C on. We brought it up to 875 and it hasn't stalled out on me yet.

I am going to do a compression check this weekend and see what I get. I appreciate everyones input.

Also how would you go about telling a reputable shop that they didn't install cams right without bruising some egos? I really hate wasting peoples time. I would hate from them to go thru it again and everything be right.

Hopefully the compression check will show me something.

Jason

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I still find it hard to believe but I guess everyone can't be wrong. I just dont want to believe you know how it is. I still think I am a sexy beast of a man, eventhough the girls still run from me. I just tell myself I am too sexy.

Well dyno fell thru, had to work this morning and the rest of the week. I am going back next week. I will let everyone know something.

I talked to my guys and they said the DC's never went above 70% or something like that and we never had a lean condition anywhere. Also they said they had idle set at 750 and a 150 increase with A/C on. We brought it up to 875 and it hasn't stalled out on me yet.

I am going to do a compression check this weekend and see what I get. I appreciate everyones input.

Also how would you go about telling a reputable shop that they didn't install cams right without bruising some egos? I really hate wasting peoples time. I would hate from them to go thru it again and everything be right.

Hopefully the compression check will show me something.

Jason

Bruising egos? A 5.1l cammed mod motor with 11+:1 compression making 316rwhp should be bruising enough. If they don't have enough pride in their workmanship to realize that there is something way wrong, I wouldn't want them messing with it again.

02SVTV6

Established Member
Bruising egos? A 5.1l cammed mod motor with 11+:1 compression making 316rwhp should be bruising enough. If they don't have enough pride in their workmanship to realize that there is something way wrong, I wouldn't want them messing with it again.

+1 and timing will F up everything when it comes to power

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
My stock block 01 cobra with nazty performance stage 2+ H/C/I package laid down 383/365 to the wheels. You should be at or over 400 with that setup I would think.

The only main difference between us is I had a stock bottom end, but I did have a PSR intake, 03 MAF, and maybe a few other items but you should still be making more power.

Hopefully it isnt cam timing but i think cam timing is easier to fix that other issues, unless its in the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread