built 04 cobra, no IAC, will this be an issue tuning?

blknredsnake

Established Member
Hello, I am finishing my build of an 04 cobra I bought on here that the motor and blower were shot when I got it so it had to be built, it's a 2.8kb with the HPP monster inlet at about 28lbs , on a built long block, full return style system, built Trans and SRA, so pretty heavy duty but mostly a street car still.

I am breaking in the motor and clutch now, and we discovered that there is no IAC valve, is this going to be and issue with tuning as it is a street car, with a good tuner? If so what can I do about this?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've heard of guys deleting the IAC on foxes. I'm sure there's a way to turn it off in the tune. I had my 01 idling without the IAC when I was setting the TB blades. I never drove it like that though. Is there just no place to install one? Is the wiring there?

Last edited:

cdnstang

604 modulars
Established Member
You could do a remote mount iac. I have used that with my whipple crusher setup. Worked good.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You can run without one but it can be a pain at times. The ECU uses the IAC motor and ignition timing to control idle RPMs among other things. If you remove the IAC all you have is ignition timing which is sometimes not enough. So when coming to stop lights or throttle was just blipped etc. you may experience excessive RPM drop and then spike back up as the ECU didn't have an IAC motor to open up and stabilize idle.
Also when loads come in like A/C kicked on etc. rpms may dog some because it can't bump it.

Just what ever you want to live with. Guys have gotten by without them for years. I've even had mine disconnected when playing around and seeing what its like to tune without it just so I could fully understand the effects of having it working and not working. If I was you I'd just install a remotely mounted one. They're much better to have than not.

Here you go, remote mount IAC adapters
http://www.cobraengineering.net/IAC adapters.html

blknredsnake

Established Member
There is not place to mount it, it's a custom inlet which does not have the appropriate fittings or mounts for an IAC, as of yesterday the car is idling at 1100 and being broken in, the drive ability is sure to be reduced on the street so I am interested in the remote mount.

So more or less all I would need is the remote mount, two nipples threaded into the intake, vacuum tubing, an IAC valve and hopefully the wiring is still there?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
So more or less all I would need is the remote mount, two nipples threaded into the intake, vacuum tubing, an IAC valve and hopefully the wiring is still there?

Be sure one nipple is pre-throttle body and the second is post throttle body.

Users who are viewing this thread