Building first home.. Question about floor plan option.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I'm looking for some advice or opinions about altering the floor plan. The red lines on the picture would represent adding additional closet space to the master. The wall would be moved out about 4 feet from the existing closet in the bonus room moving that closet to face the door entering the room. This is the first house I am building/buying and am curious if this is a good move for future resale/value. Also, from any of your experience would you go for the additional master closet with a somewhat smaller bonus room or vice versa.

I'm trying to keep in mind placement for a 60 inch TV and wrap around sectional. It seems like the way the plan is currently the only placement for the TV that would make sense would be on the back wall. If I did go for the closet space I could put the TV on that new wall and run a wrap around towards the window.

photo1_zps6fjrgx14.jpg

Last edited:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Is that a load bearing wall? [ where the shelves are]
and you'll be putting your return for the a/c in the closet you might have to move that.

Last edited:

OhIIICobra

Established Member
If it was me there is no way in hell I'm losing functional living space in my main living area to gain closet space...ever. I built a home in 2013 and my wife wanted to get larger closets too. I told her to reduce her stockpile of clothing. Glad I did because she spends about 2 minutes tops in our walk-in closet per day.

Blackness03

Established Member
If it was me there is no way in hell I'm losing functional living space in my main living area to gain closet space...ever. I built a home in 2013 and my wife wanted to get larger closets too. I told her to reduce her stockpile of clothing. Glad I did because she spends about 2 minutes tops in our walk-in closet per day.

lol when he sells it, you have to keep the future buyer's wife in mind too. She will love it and he may not want to argue. May not go over as well with other people as it did with you.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Closet room in the master will be more desirable than footage in a bonus room.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. It would be nice to have some extra room for a safe and what not.

and you'll be putting your return for the a/c in the closet you might have to move that.

I'm pretty sure it is load bearing.. The builder is updating the plans so I'm sure the return will be moved out some.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
You'd be adding more room in the master closet, but is it usable room? Wallspace is more valuable in closets than floorspace IMO.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
lol when he sells it, you have to keep the future buyer's wife in mind too. She will love it and he may not want to argue. May not go over as well with other people as it did with you.

Nobody I know says: "Holy shit, did you see the size of that closet!" They're like under-coating IMO.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Closet room in the master will be more desirable than footage in a bonus room.

You'd be adding more room in the master closet, but is it usable room? Wallspace is more valuable in closets than floorspace IMO.

Well you can't tell from the picture but it would be more of a his and hers.. It would be an entrance into the first closet that would have an entrance to the second.. so it would add more wall space

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Don't forget a spot with good structure for a decent sized gun safe.
Many people put them in basements which are prone to flooding and humidity issues.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Assuming finished space goes for $115 per sq. ft. in your area you are looking at using $5,500 of finished space budget for a closet enlargement. When you go to re-sell the Master Bedroom Walk-In Closet will likely just be a hash mark in the amenities column on a webpage regardless of you expanding it's size. Conversely a larger bonus room will have the usable square footage visible on your listing and appear as more bang for the buck for a potential buyer.

As far as room upgrades go, closet renovations are about as low as you can go on the spectrum concerning return on investment.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I have friends who built their houses with washer and dryers in their master closets, I think for resale a bigger closet is your best move.

After building my house in 06, I always tell people you have to built at least two, maybe three before you get it just right. There are just so many things I would change if doing it again.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Nobody I know says: "Holy shit, did you see the size of that closet!" They're like under-coating IMO.

Say what?? EVERYONE says that. Never watched any show on HGTV? Hell, I say it when looking at houses.

Of course, my opinion to the OP is that the master closet already looks big enough. I don't see any reason to expand and make your bonus room a really weird shape. Especially if you want a big ass couch in there.

TK Doom

Established Member
What do you plan on using the BR for? how long do you plan to live there?

As some have said, the odd look of the BR might be as much of a downside as anything.

I took the closet out of my bonus room for a completely rectangular Home Theater look.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Say what?? EVERYONE says that. Never watched any show on HGTV? Hell, I say it when looking at houses.

Of course, my opinion to the OP is that the master closet already looks big enough. I don't see any reason to expand and make your bonus room a really weird shape. Especially if you want a big ass couch in there.

HGTV? Oh yeah, the reality show network where 25 year old “first-time homebuyers” get all teary-eyed because they only have a budget of $600K+ for their entry level home when median homes across America in 2015 are ~$190K.

They are an excellent source to base ones expectations.:lol1:

I stand corrected.

wht93gted

Established Member
Looking at your plans, the master closet is already almost 10x7.
My first house had bedrooms only slightly larger (10x10).

I think the closet is big enough!

On another note, I see you're using roof trusses. If I ever build my own house, I would NEVER use trusses. My first house had them; sucks. The entire attic was un-usable space.
MY new house was built in the late 80s but has full framed attic with roof rafters and it's almost 10' tall. I love the storage up there, and honestly could even build a man-cave upstairs if I wanted to.

Is it rafter roof over the bonus room?

alex3610

Established Member
Several houses we have looked at that were great to me but my wife said the closet was too small. It was a deal breaker for her. It is like the garage is to me. Although at least with a garage you can build a seperate detatched one down the road if need be. I'd think that the closet size/wife formula factors in to a lot of home purchases. I can tell her to downsize her clothing stockpile and she could tell me to sell the mustang. Shrug.

OP out of curiosity who is the builder? We met with Blue Ridge Custom Homes a while back to try and build something on the Chesterfield/Powhatan line, but we have never been able to find a lot that will leave enough budget for the house we want.

We have looked at several older homes (1980s vintage) that have true walk up attics, and like the other poster mentioned, stick built without the roof trusses the attic space is HUGE. This will of course cost money over the truss style construction. One option I have mentioned to my wife is with the walk up attic we could always easily build a cedar lined walk in attic up there that would be easy enough to access and make up for a smaller closet in the master bedroom.

Looking at your plans, the master closet is already almost 10x7.
My first house had bedrooms only slightly larger (10x10).

I think the closet is big enough!

On another note, I see you're using roof trusses. If I ever build my own house, I would NEVER use trusses. My first house had them; sucks. The entire attic was un-usable space.
MY new house was built in the late 80s but has full framed attic with roof rafters and it's almost 10' tall. I love the storage up there, and honestly could even build a man-cave upstairs if I wanted to.

Is it rafter roof over the bonus room?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
HGTV? Oh yeah, the reality show network where 25 year old “first-time homebuyers” get all teary-eyed because they only have a budget of $600K+ for their entry level home when median homes across America in 2015 are ~$190K.

They are an excellent source to base ones expectations.:lol1:

I stand corrected.

FWIW, a lot of those shows are based out of Canada, in the pricier markets.

I know quite a few who were looking for big closets.

You must not know a lot of women, cuz that's like #1 on their list for homes lol. I know my fiancee was judging houses on the size of the closet, while I was judging them on garage space.

Users who are viewing this thread