Building engine help guys

Evil homer

Established Member
sup guys need help on a combination for my dd cobra
im going to rebuild the motor in the next week or so and im lost between stroking it to a 5.0
or just rebuild the 4.6 and do some head work ? also im running e-85 on the car what compression should i go with ?? thanks alot guys

mach1033

Established Member
5.0 boss block, cams, head porting and 10:1 compression on E-85. Not a bad way go spend 12 thousand dollars if I may quote Vin Diesel lol.

Ironhand

Banned
It depends on how far you want to go, what your goals are, your budget, fuel system, blower, etc.

Now days with a mod motor there are alot of options to choose from so you have to take in other factors before you can make a solid choice.

Mattio

Established Member
Stroked to 5.0 sounds good. The work involved with pulling the motor, might as well go big and have something to grow on in the future. Price difference is relatively minimal too... imho.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
well my setup is, stock block/bore just had it cleaned up/checked.. stock crank/rods. stock heads/cams.. all were checked/cleaned up.. I added the MMR 2500R pistons, flat tops with valve reliefs..(so i can add cams if i decide to) my compression is 10.7:1.. Posi race port/ported dragon, 2.9/6lb lower, Mac longtubes, o/r X, magnaflow catback.. stock tank/lines and rails.. im running ford GT pumps with a BAP and 80lb injectors.. My car made 581rwhp/616.9rwtq, this is on E85 and the break in tune.. will be going back when it cools off to finish tuning, and adding the nx tune..

Im sure with some mild porting of the heads, and cams of your choice will net you a few more HP.. but im more then happy for the outcome on mine.. E85 FTW!!!

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Stock block .20 over / Diamond pistons 9:5:1 compression , new oil pump , king mains and rod bearings , cometic or oem Ford gaskets , new water pump , Arp 2000 rod bolts and re used stock crank ... Motor should hold 900whp + all day ... Do some head work such as new guides and valves seals and if money is not an issue port the heads and get some nice cams :) oh and make sure everything is arp hardware

Last edited:

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
Stock block .20 over / Diamond pistons 9:5:1 compression , new oil pump , king mains and rod bearings , cometic or oem Ford gaskets , new water pump , Arp 2000 rod bolts and re used stock crank ... Motor should hold 900whp + all day ... Do some head work such as new guides and valves seals and if money is not an issue port the heads and get some nice cams :) oh and make sure everything is arp hardware

x2 on ARP hardware.. its pricey to change it all, but its money well spent!

Evil homer

Established Member
Thanks guys for helping as for fuel system I have 60lb injectors
Bap dual fpdm twin gt 40s
And as far as $$$ wanna keep it under 5k
Would really like to brake in to mid to high 10s on
Eaton with 4lb lower and 276 upper

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
Thanks guys for helping as for fuel system I have 60lb injectors
Bap dual fpdm twin gt 40s
And as far as $$$ wanna keep it under 5k
Would really like to brake in to mid to high 10s on
Eaton with 4lb lower and 276 upper

upgrade to 80lb injectors if you wanna run E85.. BTW my car runs 10's trapping over 130mph.. :beer:

Evil homer

Established Member
Lol blast I had just got the 60lbs when I did the e85
For the ported eaton guess im going to add that
To the list as well

130mph I would be stoked with that :)

iggster

Established Member

This minus the cometic head gaskets.
Run these, I have ran 28lbs+ no issues and its what has been recommended to me by other engine builders

Fel-Pro Q1141R - Fel-Pro Performance Head Gaskets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Fel-Pro Q1141L - Fel-Pro Performance Head Gaskets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Minus the diamond pistons, I would run manleys, its what MMR runs and its what I run on every build.

A couple of other small things I have learned that should be "replaced" or "upgraded" if you want to know more just PM me.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
This minus the cometic head gaskets.
Run these, I have ran 28lbs+ no issues and its what has been recommended to me by other engine builders

Fel-Pro Q1141R - Fel-Pro Performance Head Gaskets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Fel-Pro Q1141L - Fel-Pro Performance Head Gaskets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Minus the diamond pistons, I would run manleys, its what MMR runs and its what I run on every build.

Nothing wrong with Diamonds, most of the Outlaw 10.5 cars use them including the shops 3000HP 09 TT! Thicker ringlands. :rockon:
That being said I run Manley coated in the Cobra:D

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Lol blast I had just got the 60lbs when I did the e85
For the ported eaton guess im going to add that
To the list as well

130mph I would be stoked with that :)
There's a member selling 4 new sets of Siemens 80's in the market here, decent price I think it was $330..

iggster

Established Member
I see your tuned at RET? What are the boys there suggesting for your build?

I don't think RET builds them "in house"

Nothing wrong with Diamonds, most of the Outlaw 10.5 cars use them including the shops 3000HP 09 TT! Thicker ringlands. :rockon:
That being said I run Manley coated in the Cobra:D
manleys come with coated skirts, did you get the tops ceramic coated?

I think most 4.6 pistons come with the skirts coated though.

I had mine ceramic coated, I know MMR has a new piston that the whole thing is coated.

I know a bunch of people will say "run" "x" brand, but how many of them have actually built them and/or how much abuse have they put through said brand.

Last edited:

Evil homer

Established Member
UPDATE I was told i spun a bearing on number 5and8 :(
Went with 9:5:1 compression
diamond pistons,stock rods,arp everything,new lifters,retainers,chain ect
sent valve covers to get powder wrinkle coated black as well as the eaton and plenum
new motor mounts as well saw they were bad.
should be getting my motor back Friday
I rebuilt my trans as well sent my twin disk rxt to get freshened up also the flywheel and
bought some d10 bogarts with mt et streets :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread