Building a new computer

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Ordered my parts last night. This is my 4th system to build in the past 2 years.

Building new xp system...here is what I ordered.

ABIT NF7-S v2.0
AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR
(x2)CORSAIR 256MB PC3200
ANTEC PERFORMANCE II Model# SX630II

the rest of parts I am swaping from last system (died...month or more ago...)

I am a big nerd because I can't wait to get the stuff from fedex. This should be a beast. Anyways, my reason for this post is I am wondering who here enjoys building there own computers, and what kind of system are you running right now?

Last edited:

nj7703

Established Member
I have an older AMD "Frankenstein" i built. The best bet for speed is RAID 0. If you can afford 2 fast, high capacity drives, i would suggest it.:beer:

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Athlon XP 1700+ slightly, very slightly, OC'd to a 1900 level (Still smokes 2.4 gig intel machines)

MSI K7T-Pro 2 266
512 Meg of your Generic DDR
Cheapo antec case which I jigga-hacked a 120 millimeter fan on the side of (works damn good too!)
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

1 - 40 GIG WD HD
1 - 30 GIG WD HD
1 - 120 GIG WD HD

Tekram SCSI card, and some other shit, like a TRUE video capture card :)

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I built mine too, it's based on an Athlon 1.4, Gigabit GA7 raid 0 with 2 30 gig drives and 256 meg ddr 2700 memory. I had it clocked as high as 1.8gigs, np. Nvidia Geforce 2 card, AGP4x.

I'm going to build another in a year or so, depending on when the AGP bus goes past 8x or is replaced. There is supposed to be a new PCI bus around the corner. If I had to build today, I'd opt for one of the N-Force MB's.

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
5 dual 2G Xeons that I use as render machines for 3d work. I would have gone with Athlons but my software is optimized for the intel architecture and runs faster on them.;-)

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
Abit IC7-G max3
Intel 2.4c @3.3 on water
Raid 0
2 WD raptors (awsome hard drives)
Nvidia 5900ultra
Sony DVD burner
Hp cdwriter
2x512 Kingston hyperX
SB audg 2

I like it alot buit it at the end of july

KDog

Established Member
haven't purchased a computer since my Tandy 2100 - a speedy 486/33MHz powerhouse. Ever since then it's been KDog custom. :)

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Originally posted by FX-Man
5 dual 2G Xeons that I use as render machines for 3d work. I would have gone with Athlons but my software is optimized for the intel architecture and runs faster on them.;-)

What packages you use? Maya, 3D studio max, blender, Lightwave?

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by Sinister Angel

Maya is GREAT!! I just downloaded the free Maya Personal Learning Edition 5. If i had more time, what a cool toy to play with.:-D

FX-Man

Established Member

Right now 3dsmax with a few plugins, Digital Fusion, Combustion, and looking into Maya if I can talk 'em into a competetive upgrade.
Also discreet flame but that aint a pc app.

FX-Man

Established Member
Heh, I've always wanted to do 3D stuff. It's great, I bought a Maya 4.5 book. Still have to learn the damn program lol.

That would be a steep learning curve ahead of you there. I used Maya back around ver2 for about 6 mos and barely scratched the surface of what the software is capable of. Would have bought it already but I have a sizable amt. invested in MAX so they would have to give me a great deal on it to justify the expense.

FX-Man

Established Member
I'd imagine you could do some neat shit with max given the right plugins, but yeah, from the little I've seen, Maya is just burly.

Actually you can do anything as well in either program, but Maya's gui, workflow, etc. just whoops on MAX. When I bought MAX though It was $3200 vs. $16000 at that time for the unlimited version of Maya which only came with one net render license. Things have since evened out.:thumbsup:

Mendax

Originally posted by WireEater
ABIT NF7-S v2.0
AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR
(x2)CORSAIR 256MB PC3200
ANTEC PERFORMANCE II Model# SX630II

You should have gone with the Corsair PC2700. The latency is much better on the 2700 than the 3200 at the same FSB. Other than that, good coices, though I have the ASUS A7N8X mainboard.

Users who are viewing this thread