building a motor.... what brands to use and what not to use..

Bite u

Established Member
Alright as the title states I'm in the process of building a motor or about to build a spare motor I have.. car has a novi 1000 on it as of now.. prolly gonna upgrade the blower when that one kicks the bed.. but for now novi 1000 with a dry kit on top.. car has factory stuff with Walbro 400 in the tank and gonna have some 60 lbrs. ..

I have factory spec'd mod max rods.. planning on building factory compression n revving to around 7500.. What pistons would hour run or not run and y? Thanks Richard

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I run Diamond forged H beam rods and pistons in my Cobra. I think they are a bit costlier than other brands, but I have zero complaints from them. So Diamond is my recommendation.

Bite u

Established Member
Well I don't plan on upgrading anything else fuel wise other than the injectors.. so I don't see it making much more than 6-650 I believe is what the factory rails will handle.. if I do make more it will b with a wet kit on a stand alone system..

With the little blower I don't plan on making much more than 500 wheel and hitting it with a 75-100 dry and see what she'll do..

Goal for now is 10.5's on the blower.. n hope for 9.9999 on the n2o. Thanks for the input tho man

OW99

Established Member
ross, manley, je, diamond, mahle 2618 piston, wiesco are the brands I would feel comfortable using. All 2618 aluminum and have good reputations.

Prototype007

Established Member
SRP & TRW is another good brand company when it comes to pistons.

Speed Pro makes decent forged pistons as well, but they weigh a few grams more than most.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Don't put headstuds in it unless it is going to be a 600+ hp car. You wont be able to pull a cylinder head without pulling the engine. Anything that breaks in the cylinder head assembly will require the engine to be pulled and a minimum of a 1000 extra bucks to any engine work. My Pro-Line engine is down and i'm not sure what the cause is, however, if it is something as simple as a broken spring...im still looking at a 2000 dollar fix because there is no getting around the engine pull and return at $1K.

OW99

Established Member
Srp is the economical je piston. I think they only make them 4032 aluminum for a mod motor though.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I used mahle flat top Pistons. That's the brand the machine shop recommended and they do work on a lot of 4.6 engines.

Mahle is oem piston on 03-04 cobras also.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Don't put headstuds in it unless it is going to be a 600+ hp car. You wont be able to pull a cylinder head without pulling the engine. Anything that breaks in the cylinder head assembly will require the engine to be pulled and a minimum of a 1000 extra bucks to any engine work. My Pro-Line engine is down and i'm not sure what the cause is, however, if it is something as simple as a broken spring...im still looking at a 2000 dollar fix because there is no getting around the engine pull and return at $1K.

A Pro-line engine failed? Please tell more.

Bite u

Established Member

Thanks... it's gonna b built for power.. blower alone I'd like to see it make just over 500 wheel... (baby blower) and then hit it with 75-125.. depending.. I know my factory fuel rails r gonna limit me...

Eventually I'm sure the car will get a bigger blower and a stand alone wet kit n b 7-8 range..

N the pistons I was looking at were the mod max.. but it don't give what they r made of.. figured I could match the rods I got? They gotta b better than stock 96 cobra stuff is they way I look at it lol

Users who are viewing this thread