Building a budget friendly outdoor space...

chagan02

Established Member
Having an in-ground pool installed and was thinking about getting the concrete deck stamped and dyed. Anyone know what the additional cost per sqft of that may be? Ballpark, above and beyond the cost of the concrete itself. Any advice from anyone who has done this? Below is the actually pool installed with a stained concrete deck. I’m leaning toward dye due to longevity.

IMG_5859.JPG

Also, looking to add a nice but economical Pergola to the deck. Have seen some options all across the board. I’m leaning toward an aluminum one I found at Lowe’s (Pictured below) as the maintenance will be much less. Also considering another option that is wood with a bar top. Anyone have experience with Pergolas? I’d really like to avoid adding more maintenance than necessary, I hate staining wood. Vinyl is also an option but they are high. I’d like to stay under 2k for the Pergola.

Here is the aluminum pergola.
IMG_5841.JPG

Here is the wooden one.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Backyard-D...in-Brown-Wood-Freestanding-Pergola/1000455021

Just looking for some opinions...especially on the concrete stamping and dying. The pergola would sit along one of the longer sides of the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like the wood version you linked to. It has a built in cedar bar and bench. I would check to see what wood type the actual pergola is. It's probably not cedar, unfortunately. I'm guess white pine that is stained brown, but check with Lowes. If you want as little maintenance as possible, the type of wood used is going to have to be considered. I'm right now have my 6 year old deck (14' X 16') renovated because the flooring and top rails look like crap (pressure treated pine), so I'm having the core of the deck stained (solid tan) with cedar (semi-transparent stained) flooring/stairs and top rail. I wanted cedar this time because it looks better and is more maintenance free. So if it was me, I'd be looking for a cedar pergola.

Just out of curiosity, those four posts in that photo are not solid 6X6 posts, right? Are they simple, cheaper 6X6 boxes?

Here's a Home Depot all cedar 10' X 12' pergola for $1263.
Backyard Discovery 10 ft. x 12 ft. Cedar Pergola-6214com - The Home Depot

browns-tans-backyard-discovery-pergolas-6214com-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:

chagan02

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was thinking about cedar but it wouldn’t match the theme of the rest of our wood work. Can you stain cedar? Our fence and other decking are a very dark brown, which is what I was leaning toward for the pergola and the concrete dye. Our favorite as far as looks is the wooden one I linked as well, but I don’t wanna have to stain that thing every year/two, if I can’t void it.

The picture is of the aluminum pergola, and yes the posts are hollow aluminum boxes. The aluminum one is $700.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TERMN8U

Established Member
In Ontario Canada stamped concrete is $7-$15 per sqft. Seven dollars is an extremely good price so you may not be able to find it that cheap.

chagan02

Established Member
In Ontario Canada stamped concrete is $7-$15 per sqft. Seven dollars is an extremely good price so you may not be able to find it that cheap.

Is that in addition to the concrete cost? Just wanting to clarify. I ask because I’ve already got a price on the concrete and was just trying to gauge the additional cost of the stamping and dying. In regards to the dying, I could just stain the concrete but I’d imagine the dye is much longer lasting.

08mojo

Established Member
I'd skip the pergola and go for a large patio umbrella. They cover a large area and are a lot more out of the way/easy to move vs a structure. Also, you can rotate/tilt the umbrella to block the sun as it moves.

mariusvt

Established Member
Most of the stuff listed as cedar these days is usually younger cyprus out of china. Softer and less durable if left to it's own devices. But like any exterior wood, if you keep it sealed and looking nice it will last a good long time.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I honestly don't understand the reason for pergolas so I'm generally in the "**** pergolas" camp.

A pavilion is a much better option if you ask me, at least if it starts to rain or you need to get out of the sun but still be outside, you have protection. Pergolas just seem to be there for the sake of being there.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I went to a birthday party on Saturday and the backyard was amazing. The in ground pool had a swim up bar where the bar stools were built in and about 6 inches below the surface. The other side of the bar was excavated low so that someone standing there was typical bartender height. Splitting off at about a 90* angle were another bar for people who were not in the pool, so it was raised up to a normal height. Built into that was a fridge and I think some storage. Above all of that was a giant tiki hut that was well made. I sure opened my eyes to what you could do with a pool.

chagan02

Established Member
I honestly don't understand the reason for pergolas so I'm generally in the "**** pergolas" camp.

A pavilion is a much better option if you ask me, at least if it starts to rain or you need to get out of the sun but still be outside, you have protection. Pergolas just seem to be there for the sake of being there.

I’m actually with ya on this. A pavilion is much more usable and as you stated, it’s a place to stay dry. I’ll explore this option as well. Here is a nice affordable option. They are higher but more usable.

Gazebos & Pergolas | Shop Online at Overstock

chagan02

Established Member
I went to a birthday party on Saturday and the backyard was amazing. The in ground pool had a swim up bar where the bar stools were built in and about 6 inches below the surface. The other side of the bar was excavated low so that someone standing there was typical bartender height. Splitting off at about a 90* angle were another bar for people who were not in the pool, so it was raised up to a normal height. Built into that was a fridge and I think some storage. Above all of that was a giant tiki hut that was well made. I sure opened my eyes to what you could do with a pool.

Yeah we’ve been watching some of those pool shows on HGTV and getting ideas. No way we’d pay the money that those people pay (some > 500k), but certainly can get some cool ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread